Excerpt from Build thread: slight variation on DI and DEE - GASSING!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, there was a lot of interest in the details of my DI setup post in my build thread. Problem is that the info was getting buried pretty fast, so I had decided to go ahead and re-post it here in its very own thread.

We may end up repeating ourselves a little here and I apologize to all the people who posted in the build thread that may have not got a response. I will tend this thread with closer attention for sure, so please don't hesitate to post or let me know if you have any questions at all.

Wanted to take a minute and highlight my top off and DI Set up, as it's a little different than a typical set up, or at least anything I have used in the past. I’ve always ripped through DI resin pretty fast and just dealt with it because of the complications of trying to have separate system to "de-gas" then pump back into reservoirs and such just wouldn't have been possible in the old space. But now, thanks to design of the Spectrapure UHE and a dash of ingenuity on my part, I was able to repurpose my reservoir as a "de-gassing" chamber to eliminate any excess co2 in the water, and function as a recirculating DI unit as well.

IMG_0050_zpslaaihzmm.jpg

Water is fed from the membrane up to the 55 gallon reservoir in the attic space above the shop. This reservoir gravity feeds my main, backup, QT and display systems. The RO unit fills the tank up every day, from about 1:00-3:00 by way of a mechanical timer and float switch shutoffs. An air stone aerates the tank 24 hours a day. About an hour after the RO shuts down, a litermeter peristaltic runs for 6 hours, turning the tank over about twice, passing through the Maxcap Dual DI. This has proven to be extremely beneficial in that my DI cartridges last longer, which was the primary goal.

IMG_0061_zps9gzn79mk.jpg

The only disadvantages I have found is that there is a short window, immediately after the unit shuts down and before the peristaltic kicks on, where any evaporation will be replaced with water that is not 100% pure. The TDS of the water out of the membranes is about 9 and when mixed with existing water in the reservoir drops a little. I honestly don't think this small amount of potential TDS is cause for concern though. As time goes by, and I really get an idea of how hard I can push the DI, I may shorten the amount of time between RO shut down, and DI on, so this margin may get smaller.

The one other snag, is that when it comes time to fill my 375 gallon saltwater reservoir, I have to fill the FW tank, run the DI for a bit, then empty it into the SW reservoir, rather than just let the unit run and fill it as I did before when the DI was on the unit itself.

Either way, this has proven to be an effective and efficient way to solve my fast exhausting DI problems that have plagued me for many years.

If anyone is interested in any other specifics, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you're wondering what the trough is for, that is my "save the shop" flood prevention mechanism, in the event of a failure of the actual reservoir tank, or any part of the system that's supposed to shut it down. There's a drain that goes right to my sink, so if I ever come upstairs and see water coming out of that tube, I know I've got a problem.

IMG_0052_zpsg0z4okul.jpg

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Is the litemeter pump one you can purchase by its self or is it the one that was in the ato system they sell?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving this info over here Adam

Possible solution to low pH issues due to high C)2 in the water without having to degas.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i-need-a-chemist.326901/#post-4054219

I looked on amazon and found a company that sells upflow units (no backwash required) for $350-$450 which includes all of the calcium and Mag media you would need for 8 months - a year. After consulting with Randy in the thread above, this does appear to be a viable solution. Whether degassing on top of it is still going to be needed I'm unsure. For about $400 though Adam it may be something to look into even if you keep your degas unit.

I can provide more links if people are interested.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, here's my co2 degasser (elevated pvc pipe contraption), it gravity feeds my DI. Quadrupled how long my DI lasts [emoji106] .

bf843300b09a108e6aa13a29eae2c79b.jpg

Mind giving us the quick run down on how it works?

Does the RO coming off the membrane, blue line, go all the way to the bottom of the pvc tube along with the air stone and then as the water rises it feeds down through the DI? I don't have alot of extra room for a degassing tank like the one shown but I could defintely make something like this work!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind giving us the quick run down on how it works?

Does the RO coming off the membrane, blue line, go all the way to the bottom of the pvc tube along with the air stone and then as the water rises it feeds down through the DI? I don't have alot of extra room for a degassing tank like the one shown but I could defintely make something like this work!
You are correct. RO feeds into the pvc with a BEAST air stone, rises and gravity feeds into di which gravity feeds into my reservoir. There are similar designs online from spectrapure but I actually spoke to a rep and my specifications are better than what's listed on those. It's 4" pvc and about 4 ft tall (I'll have to double check that for ya) where the spectrapure is only 3" pvc and 3-4 ft tall. Apparently the extra size and height makes all the difference. I can put together a parts list for you if you want.

Here's the beast air stone I'm using, best available I'm told.....
I can link you those as well. Keep in mind I'm 6'4" so that's a big air stone lol
b4d9639cdccdb3bcd07ca64f454aca74.jpg
070397d2dcd3744ea7bb40acd0a88dcd.jpg

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the PVC from overflowing?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the PVC from overflowing?
This was my #1 concern before implementing this system, however I was reassured by spectrapure and a reefer named AZDesertRat (who is a water treatment/rodi expert on either reef2reef or reefcentral) that the rate of the gravity feed through the di was more than sufficient to handle the flow from the ro system into the pvc. I have had this running for 5 months with no issues.

You could of course implement a float valve or float switch at the top of the degassing tower to automatically close a solenoid etc.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's awesome. Is the litemeter pump one you can purchase by its self or is it the one that was in the ato system they sell?

Hi there,

yep you can get the pump on its own for sure. In fact i was a little wrong on the specifics on that. It's the pump for the liter meter only, and not the actual "liter meter" dosing system. I used this pump on mine. We figured the flow rate through the DI on about 40 gallons total was just about right with this one.

http://spectrapure.com/Basic-LiterMeter-Dosing-Pump?filter_name=litermeter

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. RO feeds into the pvc with a BEAST air stone, rises and gravity feeds into di which gravity feeds into my reservoir. There are similar designs online from spectrapure but I actually spoke to a rep and my specifications are better than what's listed on those. It's 4" pvc and about 4 ft tall (I'll have to double check that for ya) where the spectrapure is only 3" pvc and 3-4 ft tall. Apparently the extra size and height makes all the difference. I can put together a parts list for you if you want.

Here's the beast air stone I'm using, best available I'm told.....
I can link you those as well. Keep in mind I'm 6'4" so that's a big air stone lol
b4d9639cdccdb3bcd07ca64f454aca74.jpg
070397d2dcd3744ea7bb40acd0a88dcd.jpg

Thanks for the response, I'd definitely be interested in a parts list. I'm in the process of designing a new RO/Mixing station so I can go ahead and look at how to implement this as well. Also, do you have an average TDS for the RO water entering/exiting the DI? I think I'm generally around 6 off the membrane but I still go through DI resin pretty rapidly. It's doing better now that I'm doing less runs but larger batches though.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I'd definitely be interested in a parts list. I'm in the process of designing a new RO/Mixing station so I can go ahead and look at how to implement this as well. Also, do you have an average TDS for the RO water entering/exiting the DI? I think I'm generally around 6 off the membrane but I still go through DI resin pretty rapidly. It's doing better now that I'm doing less runs but larger batches though.
K I will put something together. If you are killing di resin and your tds is only 6 out of the membrane, you probably have high co2. Co2 does not effect tds, but it crushes di resin, a silent killer of sorts. My tds has always been 2-6 out of the membrane and 0 after DI, but my di resin lasts 4x longer now.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will create a thread on how to build my co2 degasser and link it here. I don't want to take away anymore from Adams thread because his version is sweet and very interesting indeed. I love that it recirculates through the di, the mad scientist at it again.

Recirculating DI, high nutrients, free corals, free BRUSHES, who is this guy?!
@Battlecorals
The supplier of the best darn acros and customer service on the planet, that's who.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will create a thread on how to build my co2 degasser and link it here. I don't want to take away anymore from Adams thread because his version is sweet and very interesting indeed. I love that it recirculates through the di, the mad scientist at it again.

Recirculating DI, high nutrients, free corals, free BRUSHES, who is this guy?!
@Battlecorals
The supplier of the best darn acros and customer service on the planet, that's who.

not at all man. Please feel free to post!

Any contributions to the discussion are very welcome.

I have refined the system further as well to accommodate filling my 300 gallon Sw reservoir. I’ll will post pics and details soon.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Actually I designed this completely since then lol totally different system and much more efficient and effective. will get some details up soon

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work Adam! I would love to degass my RO pre DI but that's more space than I have. Glad to see someone is doing it successfully though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back