Exciting final fish to add to 60g Penninsula?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking for some ideas on an exciting and unique final fish to add to my 60g peninsula. Right now, the stocking is CB Clown pair, CB Royal Gramma pair, 1 Azure Damsel female, 1 Fathead Anthias, 1 CB Coral Beauty, and a Mandarin pair that are growing out in a smaller tank but will go into this 60g soon.

I'm looking for something unique and striking. My go to right now is a CB Marine Betta from Biota however I'm open to other options. I know there are many Wrasse options, but I know many are copepod eaters and I'd rather not have them compete with the Mandarins. Regardless, open to any suggestions!

I should also note, I'd definitely prefer a longer lived fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I wouldn't mind another active fish but I'm not any Tangs or large angels would make sense in my size tank. Wrasses could be an option, but I'd love to hear from everyone else as I've never actually owned a Wrasse.

Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, wrasses are awesome.

You did say "longer lived," which kind of throws out the fairy and flasher wrasses.

The smaller Halichoeres wrasses like melanurus, chrysus, biocellatus are awesome and active. There would be a little competition with them eating pods, as they do that constantly. I do wonder if they eat the bigger pods and leave some of the small copepods that mandarins love.

Sixline, 8 line, mystery would be right out, because of the mandarins.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I wouldn't mind another active fish but I'm not any Tangs or large angels would make sense in my size tank. Wrasses could be an option, but I'd love to hear from everyone else as I've never actually owned a Wrasse.

Thanks!
I’ll throw in and suggest Melanurus or Leopard wrasse or a smaller Tang like a bristle tooth species.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll throw in and suggest Melanurus or Leopard wrasse or a smaller Tang like a bristle tooth species.
Do you think a Melanarus or Leopard would compete too much with the Mandarins for Copepods? I dose a good amount of pods monthly (32oz from Dinkins).

I'll look into the Bristle Tooth. My fiancé would love to get a Blue Tang but understands our tank is still too small for one of them. Any recommendation on what types of Bristletooth would be well suited?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a Melanarus or Leopard would compete too much with the Mandarins for Copepods? I dose a good amount of pods monthly (32oz from Dinkins).

I'll look into the Bristle Tooth. My fiancé would love to get a Blue Tang but understands our tank is still too small for one of them.
Here’s my complement of fish in my 60-
2 Ocellaris clowns
2 Bangaii cardinals
Orange Spot Blenny
Melanurus wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Green Spot Mandarin Dragonet
2 Ruby Dragonets
Blue Eyed Bristletooth Tang

i also add 32 oz of Copepods and Rotifers plus phyto every month

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a White Tailed Bristletooth to our 55g and she fits right in, no stress. Tomini is another smaller tang to consider.

20230918_133045.jpg

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to look into the Bristletooth species! They seem like a great option.

I imagine a Yellow Tang is out of the question? I ask because I'd love to buy captive bred, and Biota only has Yellow, Blue and Purple Tangs.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm looking for some ideas on an exciting and unique final fish to add to my 60g peninsula. Right now, the stocking is CB Clown pair, CB Royal Gramma pair, 1 Azure Damsel female, 1 Fathead Anthias, 1 CB Coral Beauty, and a Mandarin pair that are growing out in a smaller tank but will go into this 60g soon.

I'm looking for something unique and striking. My go to right now is a CB Marine Betta from Biota however I'm open to other options. I know there are many Wrasse options, but I know many are copepod eaters and I'd rather not have them compete with the Mandarins. Regardless, open to any suggestions!

I should also note, I'd definitely prefer a longer lived fish.
1 yellow tang.
Beautiful, long lived, doesn’t hide, and is the best rock cleaner I’ve ever owned.
This one 5 years old now, but seemed to max out at 4”.

IMG_1937.jpeg

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 yellow tang.
Beautiful, long lived, doesn’t hide, and is the best rock cleaner I’ve ever owned.
IMG_1937.jpeg

That's a top pick for me, but you don't think a 60g Peninsula will be too small? I have no plans to upgrade tank size for the next ~5 years or so.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a higher budget, I might recommend a Golden Cuban Basslet from Biota. Probably the most striking color combination of any fish I’ve seen.

Otherwise, Fairy and Flasher wrasses do have a ton of options and always overcome their shyness to be front and center. They are relatively short lived (compared to angels which can do 25 years), but 5-8 years is still fairly long — get a female to maximize their time with you. My favorites are:

- Rhomboidalis
- Magma
- Pintail
- Naoko
- Diamondtail Flashers

Re: tangs. I’d personally avoid them in a tank that small knowing how frustrated some can get once they reach a certain size.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if a Tang is out of the question, what are some other unique options? I like some of the Wrasses but I was kind of looking for something with a more unique 'shape'. Plenty of my fish have beautiful coloration, but I want something that has a different shape from everything else hence the interest in Tangs and the Marine Betta.

Any large Angel's suitable for a 60g?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think your best candidates for angels would be a Majestic (P. navarchus) As they are very slow growers, but will eventually need to be rehomed.

Or Watanabes, the smallest of the Genicanthus (a pair would be ideal as the male’s coloration is more striking than the female’s). Seems like the stated min tank size for them is 55 gallons.

Both are relatively reef safe with the Watanabe’s being near 100% reef safe.

Edit: Shouldn’t be a problem since it seems like you’re introducing the fish to the DT around the same time, but I would introduce a larger angel before the CB. Established, mature CB’s can be especially vicious towards similarly sized angels (doesn’t have to be Centropyge).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best candidates for angels would be a Majestic (P. navarchus) As they are very slow growers, but will eventually need to be rehomed.

Or Watanabes, the smallest of the Genicanthus (a pair would be ideal as the male’s coloration is more striking than the female’s). Seems like the stated min tank size for them is 55 gallons.

Both are relatively reef safe with the Watanabe’s being near 100% reef safe.

Edit: Shouldn’t be a problem since it seems like you’re introducing the fish to the DT around the same time, but I would introduce a larger angel before the CB. Established, mature CB’s can be especially vicious towards similarly sized angels (doesn’t have to be Centropyge).

Thanks for the information. I had been investigating the Majestic as a slow growing option. As I mentioned previously, I have no plans to upgrade tank size for another 5+ years. I'd definitely rather not need to rehome a fish because it got too big. How many years do you think a Majestic would have before it became too big for a 60g? For reference, the next tank I upgrade to (whenever that may be) would likely be in the 250g range as an Emperor Angel is my 'endgame' fish, as well as Miniatus Grouper.

As for the Coral Beauty, that's actually the one fish on this list I don't own yet. I was waiting for it to come back in stock on Biota, but if I can keep a Majestic happy in a 60g for 5-6 years, then I'd certainly prefer that over the Coral Beauty. I'd be getting a captive bred from Biota, so I imagine it would come in very young, and small.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put a full-size angel in a 3 foot tank, unless it's for quarantine, or to grow out a very small juvenile for a tank you already had. If you had the 250 already, then that changes things.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back