Exciting final fish to add to 60g Penninsula?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the information. I had been investigating the Majestic as a slow growing option. As I mentioned previously, I have no plans to upgrade tank size for another 5+ years. I'd definitely rather not need to rehome a fish because it got too big. How many years do you think a Majestic would have before it became too big for a 60g? For reference, the next tank I upgrade to (whenever that may be) would likely be in the 250g range as an Emperor Angel is my 'endgame' fish, as well as Miniatus Grouper.

As for the Coral Beauty, that's actually the one fish on this list I don't own yet. I was waiting for it to come back in stock on Biota, but if I can keep a Majestic happy in a 60g for 5-6 years, then I'd certainly prefer that over the Coral Beauty. I'd be getting a captive bred from Biota, so I imagine it would come in very young, and small.

Navarchus is one of the angels I’m personally unfamiliar with (never kept one), but from what I’ve read from other’s experiences here on R2R, seems like they may do 1”+ per year.

This just me, but I’d be uncomfortable housing a Navarchus larger than 4” in 36” of tank length (others will certainly be more conservative, see above :)), even smaller for other Pomacanthus species. It will also be incredibly important for you to offer enough exploration areas in your rockwork to keep an angel occupied as they graze a good deal.

Biota also offers Bali Aquarich Majestics that are pretty small, but I’d do a good deal of research on their specimens and I know many of their captive bred angels don’t fare well once they reach hobbyist aquariums. Maybe find an LFS who’s willing to re-quarantine/condition once it’s out of BA’s hands.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread as the search is still ongoing!

I've come closer to making a decision but I'm between two tricky fish and would love opinions.

Right now I'm between a Flame Angel and a Potter's Leopard Wrasse/Choati Wrasse.

Flame Angel: I've had a Flame Angel previously and I loved him, he never bothered anything either. I see tons and tons of success stories with Flame Angels not causing any problems with corals, but I still remain hesitant as I have a very LPS heavy tank with a number of cool zoa's too.

Leopard Wrasse: Obviously a trickier fish. I'd plan on setting it up in a 15g quarantine tank and work on feeding etc. I have a 2-3" sand bed, mostly fine sand but with some small shells, rocks and chunks in it. It's live sand. The main issue I foresee here, outside of its trickiness in general is that I also have two Biota Mandarins that are growing quickly. They're nice and plump, and I know the Wrasse will want to eat pods as well. Long term, I'm not sure how strongly they will compete.

Tank Details: 60g Peninsula, Live rock has been established for a year, very porous and natural with tons of pods, 2 inch sand bed, big anemone, almost exclusively LPS corals minus some toadstools, mushrooms and zoa's. Mostly Euphyillia and Euphyllia adjacent corals - hammers, bubbles, alevopora, goniopora, elegance, candy canes, plus a big Acantho.

Current Fish: 2 Clowns, 2 baby Mandarins, 2 Royal Gramma, 1 Azul Damsel(all bark no bite), 1 Fathead Anthias, 1 Yahsa Goby

So - based on my tank and the situations I've described...which direction should I go? Attaching some tank pics too, in case they help.

IMG_7678.jpg IMG_7677.jpg

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping again! I've been heavily comteplating the Flame Angel, but worry a bit about the compatibility with all my LPS coral. I saw that Biota has gotten some Black Spot Swallowtail Angelfish in stock. I know they're considered large Angelfish but they seem to typically top out around 7".

Thoughts on keeping a single one in a 60g Peninsula?

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really looking for an open swimmer to add more movement to the top of the tank. I do love the Marine Betta but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels are always a risk to nip coral, but you could probably do a cherub, flameback, flame, or MAYBE a coral beauty. They're not really horizontal swimmers more of darters in and out of rocks so 4 feet is less important it's more about total area for exploration and making sure there's enough enrichment for then since they're very smart alert fish.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really looking for an open swimmer to add more movement to the top of the tank. I do love the Marine Betta but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
Also just a heads up so you aren't disappointed dwarf angels aren't REALLY open swimmers usually. Every fish personality is different, but they tend to stick to just above the rocks in the middle of the tank weaving through in my experience. Sometimes they swim high, but they mainly stick to the rocks. They have a very deliberate dance like weave they do through rockwork as they peck and scrape away for food

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, my cherub angel has never really eaten any of my coral. It occasionally "tastes" things, but has never done any real damage in the 2ish years Ive had them. Your mileage may vary though.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand that. I used to have a Flame Angel and he would swim in and out of the rock work. Still added a lot of movement. I've been contemplating ways to add to my rock scape and add some rocks higher in the water column which I think would encourage all of the fish to swim around a bit more.

Right now, my rocks are fairly low and everyone is always hanging out around them. I've considered a small school of Anthias but I've heard a lot about aggression amongst schools, and I don't want to waste money on fish that will kill each other. Plus, I like being able to tell my fish apart, helps me connect with them better haha

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand that. I used to have a Flame Angel and he would swim in and out of the rock work. Still added a lot of movement. I've been contemplating ways to add to my rock scape and add some rocks higher in the water column which I think would encourage all of the fish to swim around a bit more.

Right now, my rocks are fairly low and everyone is always hanging out around them. I've considered a small school of Anthias but I've heard a lot about aggression amongst schools, and I don't want to waste money on fish that will kill each other. Plus, I like being able to tell my fish apart, helps me connect with them better haha
If you're mainly looking for movement, you could add a single dispar anthia or blue green chromis. They're true open swimmers and would do well in that tank size

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're mainly looking for movement, you could add a single dispar anthia or blue green chromis. They're true open swimmers and would do well in that tank size

I'm also looking for this fish to kind of be a 'showpiece' fish, something that really stands out which is why I've been leaning so much to the Flame Angel. I really just think they're among the most beautiful fish there are.

Chromis is just too standard looking. Dispar looks pretty cool, but would it transition into a male if it were solo? The female Dispar is a bit unexciting.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking for this fish to kind of be a 'showpiece' fish, something that really stands out which is why I've been leaning so much to the Flame Angel. I really just think they're among the most beautiful fish there are.

Chromis is just too standard looking. Dispar looks pretty cool, but would it transition into a male if it were solo? The female Dispar is a bit unexciting.
It would likely transition to a male if kept alone, but it would depend on if it felt like the "boss" in your tank. I've had several transition fish over the years. Some change some don't. If you're only buying one though you could buy a male directly.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For a showpiece, Choat's Leopard wrasse, Macropharyngodon choati. Not only will it look like a showpiece, but you'll be an "expert" if you can keep it alive and healthy! And leopard wrasses are just the best fish.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a showpiece, Choat's Leopard wrasse, Macropharyngodon choati. Not only will it look like a showpiece, but you'll be an "expert" if you can keep it alive and healthy! And leopard wrasses are just the best fish.

Yes I had been heavily considering a Chaoti. It's one of the most striking fish but I'm just a bit nervous about spending ~$300 on a fish that often doesn't do well. It certainly would be top of my list otherwise.

It's still a consideration, just difficult to justify the cost vs risk.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And if you wanted to shop around pretty much any of the listed anthias you see on live aquaria with 70 gallon tank min would work if just getting one (though don't get purple queen they always die). A leopard wrasse might work, but it's really going to limit pods available to your mandarins, and your tank is really on the bleeding edge of what I'd consider appropriately sized for an adult one. My full grown leopard wrasse made my 120 look small when it was in full hunting mode and it DECIMATED my pod population.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you wanted to shop around pretty much any of the listed anthias you see on live aquaria with 70 gallon tank min would work if just getting one (though don't get purple queen they always die). A leopard wrasse might work, but it's really going to limit pods available to your mandarins, and your tank is really on the bleeding edge of what I'd consider appropriately sized for an adult one. My full grown leopard wrasse made my 120 look small when it was in full hunting mode and it DECIMATED my pod population.

Yeah that's another consideration I've had with a Leopard Wrasse. Though I do replenish pods monthly, I'm not sure if pod population would still be a worry.

What about the black leopards? I've heard they like to be in groups and tend to stay a little smaller? They may not be as striking but I still find them beautiful.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's another consideration I've had with a Leopard Wrasse. Though I do replenish pods monthly, I'm not sure if pod population would still be a worry.

What about the black leopards? I've heard they like to be in groups and tend to stay a little smaller? They may not be as striking but I still find them beautiful.
Choats also stay smaller for leopard wrasse they're just expensive. I'd really wait to see a lively eating one in a lfs without any pinching behind its eyes (where they show their empty belly and weight loss first). You could probably do it in a 60. They're "expert only" but only because they're horrific shippers. Once acclimated and healthy after a few weeks they're incredibly hardy. Pods will still likely be a problem with 3 voracious pod eaters in a 60, so if I were doing this I'd want to culture my own pods or baby brine if I were doing it

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also bit of a left turn here but thoughts on a Flame Wrasse male/female pair? They're some of my favorite looking Wrasse and I know they're open swimmers.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also bit of a left turn here but thoughts on a Flame Wrasse male/female pair? They're some of my favorite looking Wrasse and I know they're open swimmers.
What's your budget? Flame wrasse are a hawaiian only fish and 1000+ bucks these days. They also only live a few years

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back