Exhaust Fans

jhadaway

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2021
Messages
750
Reaction score
544
Location
Pasadena, MD
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am currently planning a 72x30x25 in my basement. It will be inside of a dedicated fish room roughly 8x10. Do I need to plan an exhaust fan as part of the build out? The basement stays pretty cool but I am concerned about humidity> Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,
JOe
 
This is driven all by region you live. Exhausting you conditioned air just turns into you conditioning more air.
I would consult an HVAC professional with a background in air exchangers.
In MD you will have vast different needs in the winter than you will in the summer.
 
Because of the size of the room with a 220 gallon tank (+ sump?), I would plan something for dealing with the humidity.

That might be an exhaust fan that kicks on when a humidistat tell it to, or a dehumidifier.
 
Better to have and not need, then to need and not have.....cheaper to build in now. Get the fans with the autoswitch (humidity sensor)
 
I'm in Eldersburg and my 210g is in my basement. Sump and reservoirs are in the unfinished utility room with the air handler. I have a dehumidifier that is set to turn on to keep humidity less than 55% RH
 
Because of the size of the room with a 220 gallon tank (+ sump?), I would plan something for dealing with the humidity.

That might be an exhaust fan that kicks on when a humidistat tell it to, or a dehumidifier.

While I do not have a valid opinion on what to do in your case, I DO have a good portable Dehumidifier in my house. And it works well, especially in enclosed rooms. My daughter uses it in the kitchen (on the main level in my house) when she makes Fudge (I think). Anyway, we have a humidity sensor in the kitchen and it goes down really well secondary to the unit. But be aware, it needs to be plugged in directly to the wall. No extension cords.
 
I’ve seen some dehumidifiers for under $200 on amazon. My waterbox 100.3 loses about 1 1/3 gallons per day so im assuming i’ll need a unit that can handle double. Maybe in the winter it will help with the dry air. Thanks all!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new