Experience with custom tank build communications

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building my first custom tank through Tenecor Aquariums, thus far I feel the communications have been severely lacking and I feel it's taking quite a long time. For some reference I started communications via a R2R post with the Tenecor founder on Feb 10. After that I reached out to their customer service and was set up with a representative that would be helping me with my build.

Since then I have been lucky to get 1 email response per day, it has now been 14 days and I havent even received the 3d rendering for approval. Is this normal for custom builds? I did mention in my emails I was trying to get this going ASAP, which I know is not their problem and I have no right to hold them to my timelines as they're probably very busy. But I do feel like that is being disregarded completely by my representative.

Since this is my first custom build, I dont know what normal is, and I definitely dont want to be "that guy" getting upset over something that is common across builders. Please tell me if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations, thanks!

Edit for additional context: The build is not complex, 4'x3'x20" with holes drilled for a shadow V2 overflow. Dimensions provided in my first email to them and templates for drilling provided about a week ago

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t have that problem with Joe@GlassCages — he is more than responsive and generous with his time.

3FE4B796-0E02-4D9B-AEE4-B7A7F684988A.jpeg

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t have that problem with Joe@GlassCages — he is more than responsive and generous with his time.

3FE4B796-0E02-4D9B-AEE4-B7A7F684988A.jpeg
I truly did want to go with Glass Cages, I've only heard amazing things. Unfortunately my budget for this project ruled them out. Tenecor enticed me with a low cost and quote of a ~1 month turnaround.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth noting I finally got my 3d rendering yesterday, a few hours after this post oddly enough. The rendering was perfect, exact dimensions I requested along with holes perfectly aligned for the overflow I'll be using. Render below for anyone considering Tenecor for tank building. It seems thorough and I was pleased with their work.

Waiting now for the invoice to see if their original quote still stands. Original quote was by the Tenecor founder in a R2R post prior to all chats with Tenecor support, so I'm very interested to see if my representative will match the quote. I see no reason not to really, I added 2 additional holes for returns but did not get their included overflow box so the price should be roughly the same. We shall see.

1645819176354.png

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the same dimensions as the IM Nuvo EXT-150. Not sure if you were aware of that and still wanted to go custom, but wanted to make sure you were aware of the option.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the same dimensions as the IM Nuvo EXT-150. Not sure if you were aware of that and still wanted to go custom, but wanted to make sure you were aware of the option.
That’s a very nice option

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March, April, May, June. I’d be patient— order the IM— and start your brew of water and rocks in a Brute until then; start gathering your equipment and 90 days will fly by.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March, April, May, June. I’d be patient— order the IM— and start your brew of water and rocks in a Brute until then; start gathering your equipment and 90 days will fly by.
I 100% agree, usually lol. In this case I already have a tank up and running, a Waterbox Marine X 110.4 that is too tall and narrow for my comfort. My floors apparently suck, and the way they were installed was not good. As folks walk by the tank it wobbles, not much but enough to be concerning. I've gotten a structural engineer to tell me it's fine but I have two kids who love to watch the tank and in my opinion the risk isnt worth it. I also have a 120lb great dane who is far from situationally aware of his surroundings. This is unfortunately why I had to go the "new tank ASAP" route and couldnt wait for the IM.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to say since beginning this thread Tenecor's response time has been much better. Since last week I've received my 3d rendering, approved it, and received the invoice. The invoice was an exact match to the original quote I received in the original R2R thread. They even offered to send some free bulkheads along with the tank, which was a nice bonus.

As for build time, their original quote of ~4-5 weeks still stands. Moving on to the payment step and can say I'm pleased with the outcome, despite some hangups in the beginning.

One thing I'll mention, since it was discussed in threads started by other R2R members, Tenecor is still accepting payment via email which is not a very good practice keeping security in mind. Their only options are to send payment via email, or call and verbally give card info over the phone. I do wish there was a secure website I could enter my card info into for payment. Shopify is an easy solution to this problem, along with a few other reputable payment processors out there.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last thing from me for now, I just spoke with my Tenecor rep to provide payment etc etc. All went smoothly. But what surprised me was that they actually purchased the overflow I plan to use in my build to make sure it fit properly before sending the tank out to me. In my opinion that's above and beyond and I really did appreciate the effort they put in on that front.

I'll update here once the tank comes in and I can show pictures of the finished product. Maybe I'll start a build thread too, who knows.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update here with progress of the build. As far as I know, there has been no progress.

Feb 28 - Purchased tank, while on the phone with my rep I asked to be kept in the loop regarding progression of the build and he said he'd make it a priority to keep me up to date

Mar 14 - Two weeks of no updates, I emailed Tenecor and was informed my tank hadnt been started yet. And they were hoping to begin that week or the following week. I also asked for pictures of the tank in production when they were available.

Mar 23 - Still no updates, emailed Tenecor and have not received a response.

Their original quoted turnaround time for tank delivery was 4-5 weeks, and we're now in the end of week 4 with no updates and seemingly the tank hasnt begun production. To say I'm underwhelmed by their customer support would be an understatement. I understand delays in production, no big deal, but I would expect to be kept in the loop proactively rather than having to dig this information out of my representative.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. Many of the higher end company builds are 6 months to a year out. Took me 7 months to get mine.
Oh I completely understand, though the reason I went with Tenecor was primarily their quoted turnaround time. My frustration is in their lack of communication.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately in this industry communication is not a strong suit of most of the vendors, especially the smaller 2 or 3 person operations where profitability is only achieved by operating on the verge of being overwhelmed. Not an excuse just reality.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update anyone following this, my tank was scheduled to ship today and I received an email last night stating it had not passed QC and my representative was unhappy with how it turned out. He stated he would not be shipping it, and I could either receive a refund or have them rebuild it with another "3-4 week lead time". Seeing as I'm now in week 9 of my 3-4 week lead time I don't think I'll be having them rebuild it.

I'm severely disappointed in Tenecor, I read through the thread where the Tenecor owner apologized to the community for subpar products and promised they were taking over control of production once again, and would be providing top quality products. I gave them a chance and unfortunately they don't quite seem up to the task yet. From my perspective they made a lot of big promises, and likely intended to keep them, but just weren't able to follow through.

I also ordered a Hushflow from Tenecor which came in earlier this week, it was also of very poor quality and they'll be replacing it. Along with the many others in my position for that tank. This is two orders from Tenecor that could not (or should not have) passed QC.

I will say, I appreciate their transparency and honesty in both of these cases. But the fact of it is these should not have been issues in the first place, if they aren't up to the task of crafting quality products yet then they shouldn't be accepting orders. I truly hope my case was just a one-off and others are getting good quality products.

The last thing I'll mention here, once I received my Hushflow and noticed the deficiencies I stated my concerns for the 150g I was having them build as well, the owner of Tenecor (the individual running the R2R account) replied to me and let me know he had seen the 150g and it was beautiful. But then I receive an email the very next day saying it could not pass QC. This struck me as odd, and potentially deceitful.

All in all, I will not be using Tenecor for the foreseeable future and I suggest you all do the same until they can reliably provide their customers with the consistent, top quality products they promise.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update anyone following this, my tank was scheduled to ship today and I received an email last night stating it had not passed QC and my representative was unhappy with how it turned out. He stated he would not be shipping it, and I could either receive a refund or have them rebuild it with another "3-4 week lead time". Seeing as I'm now in week 9 of my 3-4 week lead time I don't think I'll be having them rebuild it.

I'm severely disappointed in Tenecor, I read through the thread where the Tenecor owner apologized to the community for subpar products and promised they were taking over control of production once again, and would be providing top quality products. I gave them a chance and unfortunately they don't quite seem up to the task yet. From my perspective they made a lot of big promises, and likely intended to keep them, but just weren't able to follow through.

I also ordered a Hushflow from Tenecor which came in earlier this week, it was also of very poor quality and they'll be replacing it. Along with the many others in my position for that tank. This is two orders from Tenecor that could not (or should not have) passed QC.

I will say, I appreciate their transparency and honesty in both of these cases. But the fact of it is these should not have been issues in the first place, if they aren't up to the task of crafting quality products yet then they shouldn't be accepting orders. I truly hope my case was just a one-off and others are getting good quality products.

The last thing I'll mention here, once I received my Hushflow and noticed the deficiencies I stated my concerns for the 150g I was having them build as well, the owner of Tenecor (the individual running the R2R account) replied to me and let me know he had seen the 150g and it was beautiful. But then I receive an email the very next day saying it could not pass QC. This struck me as odd, and potentially deceitful.

All in all, I will not be using Tenecor for the foreseeable future and I suggest you all do the same until they can reliably provide their customers with the consistent, top quality products they promise.
David, your tank IS beautiful. The reason I wanted it remade was your expectations of perfection meant about three small bubbles (less than 1/8 inch) in one of the vertical seams may not have been acceptable. No big deal for us to remake it. Yes, lead times are long as we are very busy. Secondly, I did not apologize to anyone for subpar products. Your little nano was part of our crowd source prototype program and as I repeatedly posted, these are prototypes. many of them went out for about $12 each. not a typo 12 bucks. The idea was to receive community feedback on the design and the improvements we can make to it. as i also noted, this design was new and we are working on improving the production process. the recessed one piece lexan lid filter covers and other features are all new with no other company doing anything like it. we sold almost 300 of these in three weeks. not bad for a new prototype design. of the total number sold (287), we received complaints on about 10-12 of them. most of them being poor seam quality on the hidden baffles. this is about 4% of shipped units on a new product that did not exist three weeks ago. finally, as for being potentially deceitful, we refunded your entire payment without question or hesitation because like all our clients, we want you to be happy and sometimes means you use another company. good thoughts to you and all the best.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back