Experience with Mono Argentus

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have long term experience keeping Monos in a reef tank? I have 6 of them about size of a typical large yellow tang and I think they are picking at my corals.
Recently added 2 Neon greensinularia finger leathers about 4-5 inches each and woke up one morning with only tiny stumps left. Was wondering if it was my gold spotted rabbitfish that ate the soft corals but then today saw the monos picking at my euphyllia. The euphyllia has been in the tank about 4 months now and they have never shown interest.
I like the monos because they are nice schooling fish and make the tank lively by encouraging the other fishes to come out. Most of the info online lists them as reef safe but one site says not reef safe. Anyone has experience with them?
My next problem would be how to catch them in a 10x3x3 tank if I decide to remove them....

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my shoal of 5 Mono argentus arriving tomorrow. They will be in a fish only macroalgae tank.
Have kept them before and yes, as you say they are very active, great shoalers, and with their silver bodies and yellow dorsal, makes them a superb low price marine fish.

OP
OP
P

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my shoal of 5 Mono argentus arriving tomorrow. They will be in a fish only macroalgae tank.
Have kept them before and yes, as you say they are very active, great shoalers, and with their silver bodies and yellow dorsal, makes them a superb low price marine fish.
Nice... I’ve moved the euphyllia lower down and the monos seem to leave it alone since then. But I figured out the culprit who ate the soft corals. Put in a neon green polyp toadstool and saw my gold spotted rabbitfish taking chunks out of it....

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat the macro?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back