Experiences with XR15 gen 4s

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After lots of debate on lighting I've decided to sell a bunch of frags to make some extra cash. I have a 400$ budget and someone near me is selling a newer model of the xr15 gen 4s that have mobius control. I couldn't find much on just 1 unit and I'm just looking for general reviews, schedules, or information

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gen4 Radions are fairly rock solid (though not quite as intense as the G5/G6 versions) - many people still use (and even prefer) them with their setup.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 3 of them for a few years and am happy. Mine are mobius ready but I do not like the app so I'll still with my gen 4s controlling them with a reef link. If they fail I'll move into something else. Yes I dislike mobius that much ;)

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 3 of them for a few years and am happy. Mine are mobius ready but I do not like the app so I'll still with my gen 4s controlling them with a reef link. If they fail I'll move into something else. Yes I dislike mobius that much ;)
Whats your dimensions? How many are you running?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gen4 Radions are fairly rock solid (though not quite as intense as the G5/G6 versions) - many people still use (and even prefer) them with their setup.
Have you ran them before? Any schedule? I have no doubts that it can't grow sps but don't wanna bleach them

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your dimensions? How many are you running?

I won't be much help with that. I was running 3 of them over a 6ft 180 but lps, softies and a few bubble tip nems, and no sps. Now thay are scattered I have 2 in a 24 inch hybrid t5 fixture on a 24x20x20 tank that I trying my hand at sticks. The 3rd is over my frag tank which is a section my sump

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have both the gen 4 and the gen 5 XR15's.
From a control point alone, I much prefer the gen 4 using ESL.
To me ( and this just my opinion ) using my phone with the Mobius app is like riding a skateboard compared to a motorcycle.
I even bought a chip for the gen 4 to run mobius, but will probably not use it.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gen4 Radions are fairly rock solid...... agreed mine have been flawless for 3 yrs .. ESL works good ...I run 100% intensity on all channels -12 look

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ran them before? Any schedule? I have no doubts that it can't grow sps but don't wanna bleach them
I went straight to G5's, but I've been very happy with them. The G5/G6 have about +50% more power so I don't think you need to be overly concerned about nuking anything. Just set the schedule intensity lower initially and get a hold of a PAR meter for actual readings.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Gen4 Radions are fairly rock solid...... agreed mine have been flawless for 3 yrs .. ESL works good ...I run 100% intensity on all channels -12 look
Dimensions?

New question, for sps dominated 15g cube do you think a kessil a160we or g4 radion would be better? I csn buy both for about the same price

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dimensions?

New question, for sps dominated 15g cube do you think a kessil a160we or g4 radion would be better? I csn buy both for about the same price
Absolutely no comparison.

The Radion G4, was in my opinion, the best version the ever made. I've had them all since the G2 up to the G5. The G4 is way ahead of the Kessil 160s and I've had those too.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My schedule and your schedule would be different based on many things.

I can tell you that most of the Coral farms up until about 2 months ago, were all running G4s. That should tell you all you need to know.

I think Ecotech made a mistake by going away from the original, Puck style.

If you buy it, follow a ramp up schedule throughout the day and peak for about 3 hours and ramp back down over a total of 10 to 12 hours. Impossible for me to recommend a schedule as I know nothing about your system and without a PAR meter, you're just guessing. Start slow depending on your current light and don't exceed 50 percent overall intensity at first. You can always increase intensity.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My schedule and your schedule would be different based on many things.

I can tell you that most of the Coral farms up until about 2 months ago, were all running G4s. That should tell you all you need to know.

I think Ecotech made a mistake by going away from the original, Puck style.

If you buy it, follow a ramp up schedule throughout the day and peak for about 3 hours and ramp back down over a total of 10 to 12 hours. Impossible for me to recommend a schedule as I know nothing about your system and without a PAR meter, you're just guessing. Start slow depending on your current light and don't exceed 50 percent overall intensity at first. You can always increase intensity.
How did you control yours? I got 3 reeflinks sitting around but yhe one im picking up had mobius control too

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used mobius on the ones that could. The others were Ecosmart live (web based).
I just went on some local reefing threads. You said that the g4 was your personal favorite but someone's selling a g5 for 25$ more. I assume power wise the g5 is better but what made you like the g4?

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In my experience, the G4 had a better spectrum and it was the right power. The G5 is ridiculously powered and it will bleach corals fast. Totally up to you and I'm sure you'll have success with either. If you go G5, be super careful about your intensity.

I had a G5 on a 40 Cube that was 21 inches deep. On 25% overall intensity, I was getting 275 PAR about halfway down and 200 on the sandbed. You could hang that G5 VERY high and do well.

Two separate fixtures as one has two pucks (my preference) vs a small layout of leds.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, the G4 had a better spectrum and it was the right power. The G5 is ridiculously powered and it will bleach corals fast. Totally up to you and I'm sure you'll have success with either. If you go G5, be super careful about your intensity.

I had a G5 on a 40 Cube that was 21 inches deep. On 25% overall intensity, I was getting 275 PAR about halfway down and 200 on the sandbed. You could hang that G5 VERY high and do well.

Two separate fixtures as one has two pucks (my preference) vs a small layout of leds.
Did you have a diffuser running or anything extra for the g4? Did it give you a good shimmer too? I do really want a kessil shimmer so I may pick up an A80 Puck for that

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rocking 3 XR30 G4 Pro with diffusers. Diffuser removes the shimmer but I actually prefer the flat look. Without diffusers you will see some disco effect. I had Kessil before but I don't miss the shimmer at all.
1000000331.jpg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ghostly,

The G4 with a diffuser is the best Radion STILL. I would live to find about 4 brand new XR30s. I would buy them immediately. The diffuser is such a simple thing, but very effective.

I have a brand new one for a XR30 G5, but that won't help you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back