Expert-Only Pipefish?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are only some pipes on Live Aquaria marked as expert only? Is it just because they don't ship well? The expert only ones seem to have the same requirements of care as the non-expert pipes (like the dragonface). I'm wanting either Janss or Blueline but both are marked expert only which makes me worried that it may be a bad choice. Can someone please explain to me why those two are expert only but some of the other pipefish are not? Thanks!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are only some pipes on Live Aquaria marked as expert only? Is it just because they don't ship well? The expert only ones seem to have the same requirements of care as the non-expert pipes (like the dragonface). I'm wanting either Janss or Blueline but both are marked expert only which makes me worried that it may be a bad choice. Can someone please explain to me why those two are expert only but some of the other pipefish are not? Thanks!
Didn’t know blue line is expert only. My sump(46 gallons ) is little over 1 year. Just add 4 them. One survived. Been 1 month since adding all four. They feed off pods.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was saying, if you look up the blueline (and Janss) pipefish on liveaquaria there is this little disclaimer at the bottom:

We guarantee that ALL aquaria species we offer will arrive alive and in good condition. However, because of the increased level of care required for this particular species, it has been designated as "Expert Only." This species is recommended only for the expert aquarist, zoo, or research institution. “Expert Only” aquatic life is exempt from our extended guarantee after their arrival.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know blue line is expert only. My sump(46 gallons ) is little over 1 year. Just add 4 them. One survived. Been 1 month since adding all four. They feed off pods.
Thanks! Do you know why the others died? Weak fish, not enough food? Im only planning on 1-2 so I want to make sure I can give them the best chance of survival

CrackCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was saying, if you look up the blueline (and Janss) pipefish on liveaquaria there is this little disclaimer at the bottom:

We guarantee that ALL aquaria species we offer will arrive alive and in good condition. However, because of the increased level of care required for this particular species, it has been designated as "Expert Only." This species is recommended only for the expert aquarist, zoo, or research institution. “Expert Only” aquatic life is exempt from our extended guarantee after their arrival.
thats prob because blue line cost more than 6 bucks from the wholesaler while other pipefish cost like 3 bucks

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you know why the others died? Weak fish, not enough food? Im only planning on 1-2 so I want to make sure I can give them the best chance of survival
Wish I knew. Maybe should be one male only if more than one, they get aggressive. ...I think

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I knew. Maybe should be one male only if more than one, they get aggressive. ...I think
I’m only going to order one the first time to make sure that they have enough pods to sustain them. I’m worried that if I drop 2-3 in then they may not have enough food. How do they handle flow? It’s a zoa dominant tank with a few softies and some clams, so not incredibly high but the return pumps out a pretty strong current

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only going to order one the first time to make sure that they have enough pods to sustain them. I’m worried that if I drop 2-3 in then they may not have enough food. How do they handle flow? It’s a zoa dominant tank with a few softies and some clams, so not incredibly high but the return pumps out a pretty strong current
inappropriate reefer just got one and it's a good video to watch if your thinking about getting one.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,in my exp,dragons do not last long in captivity,encourage you to specify you want a pair m/f at same time,never did blue lines,best luck "easiest" 5yrs and sold ,actually breed frequently in 240 sps high flow,good luck be sure to share :)
WP_20181116_00_57_19_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,in my exp,dragons do not last long in captivity,encourage you to specify you want a pair m/f at same time,never did blue lines,best luck "easiest" 5yrs and sold ,actually breed frequently in 240 sps high flow,good luck be sure to share :)
WP_20181116_00_57_19_Pro.jpg
Thank you! Yours are gorgeous! Did you ever have any babies show up randomly like banggai cardinals?

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to get small foods... frozen cyclops are the best. Good luck.
Thanks! I’m putting an 8-10 gallon fuge on a 45 gallon tank for them. It’s going to be stocked with pods and phyto 1x per month for 4-6 months before I purchase any pipes. I may also buy a hang on the back fuge if I feel like they need a little extra boost. I also have live rock in my sump for them to breed in, and the tank is generous with the rock work. I hope they’re happy with me! I’m also going to hatch BBS for them (especially in the beginning) and I’ll have can o cyclops as well just in case. I’m hoping to get them to a point like a captive bred mandarin where they eat some prepared foods but still 80-90% of their diet is copepods. It would really make me less nervous if I knew they were getting some really good nutrition at least 2x per day when I feed the tank. Are percula clowns okay tankmates? I have another tank they can go into if they’re too nippy to safely be with the pipes

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m putting an 8-10 gallon fuge on a 45 gallon tank for them. It’s going to be stocked with pods and phyto 1x per month for 4-6 months before I purchase any pipes. I may also buy a hang on the back fuge if I feel like they need a little extra boost. I also have live rock in my sump for them to breed in, and the tank is generous with the rock work. I hope they’re happy with me! I’m also going to hatch BBS for them (especially in the beginning) and I’ll have can o cyclops as well just in case. I’m hoping to get them to a point like a captive bred mandarin where they eat some prepared foods but still 80-90% of their diet is copepods. It would really make me less nervous if I knew they were getting some really good nutrition at least 2x per day when I feed the tank. Are percula clowns okay tankmates? I have another tank they can go into if they’re too nippy to safely be with the pipes

Sounds like a good plan. I think the apocyclops pods (Apex) from RN are the best bet. Just start them off on the frozen cyclops. You can also try ROE as well.

I used to keep the banded pipefish above and they eventually ate most meaty foods, including mysis.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. I think the apocyclops pods (Apex) from RN are the best bet. Just start them off on the frozen cyclops. You can also try ROE as well.

I used to keep the banded pipefish above and they eventually ate most meaty foods, including mysis.
Thanks! That’s really good info. I’m trying to decide which pipe will be the best for me. I was leaning towards blue line because they’re smaller and should have less impact on the pod population than the larger Janss or a multi banded. Do you think a larger one would be okay in a 45 lagoon?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back