Exquisite Firefish constantly hiding

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several days ago I purchased a nice healthy Exquisite firefish. Maybe 1.5" and fat. Ever since I added him, I think I've seen him out and about once. Otherwise he's hiding behind my rock structure. I have not seen him eat at all when I'm feeding the tank so I'm starting to worry. Any ideas on how to get him out and more active?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other tankmates? Sometimes too much activity can cause them to hide.

Sometimes it just takes them longer to get used to their surroundings.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many days is several? i had one hide for 5 days before finally venturing out and eating. try soaking some meaty foods in garlic or selcon to entice eating! you may have to spot feed it but i would just try a normal feeding first. if it was fat and healthy he will be ok for awhile. may i ask if you QT thi fish first? and how did you acclimate it?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added him about 5 days ago. Acclimation was the drip method, salinity match and temp match. No I do not QT my fish(I know, I know, that's bad) I just simply don't have enough room for another tank as I'm in an apartment.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added him about 5 days ago. Acclimation was the drip method, salinity match and temp match. No I do not QT my fish(I know, I know, that's bad) I just simply don't have enough room for another tank as I'm in an apartment.
Just an fyi for the future, when receiving shipped fish, a slow drip acclimation can do more harm than good, as it exposes them to ammonia, which can permanently damage the gills.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an fyi for the future, when receiving shipped fish, a slow drip acclimation can do more harm than good, as it exposes them to ammonia, which can permanently damage the gills.

How would you acclimate them then? I've always used the drip method and never had any issues

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you acclimate them then? I've always used the drip method and never had any issues
Acclimate to temp with the bag closed, net out. That's it.

The other thing is to mix a gallon of new water to match salinity of the shipped fish. Put the fish in the new watee without adding any bagged water, then drip acclimate.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has their water at 1.020 and mines at 1.026... I'm pretty sure just temp acclimating isn't a wise choice. But then I've never done it that way so who knows

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this right here! its in my opinion that you float to temp acclimate about 20 min, then slowly add 1/2 cup of tank water every 5 minutes until the bag is either full or if you have reached 45 minutes. then net them and put them in tank. do not add the water to the DT. this is how i have always done it and never had an issue except for flukes. but that came in from a piece of live rock i had gotten!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like plenty of flow. My 2 Nemateleotris helfrichi hang out with each other in the open. Awesome fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back