Extension cord for Eheim CompactON 3000?

Broutilde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
So I recently decided to buy a controller board to organize my mess of wires. It's coming along but I have a big issue: the cord on my return pump (Eheim CompactOn 3000) is way too short to reach the board.
I have a lot of skills but electrician is definitely not one of them, so I'm scared of trying it. I read here and there that it's not safe.
I directly emailed Eheim to know what they advise but they haven't replied to me.
What do you think?
And no, I can't buy a new pump. I like that one it's solid and I don't have money for a new one.
Thanks!
E.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no electrician either but for years I've run pumps and other devices plugged into cheap power strips which is nothing more than an extension cords with extra outlets. Should I have? I dunno but it's never been a problem. I wouldn't do it with a big external pump but most of the stuff inside our tanks don't draw that much current. But again I'm no electrician.

OP
OP
Broutilde

Broutilde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no electrician either but for years I've run pumps and other devices plugged into cheap power strips which is nothing more than an extension cords with extra outlets. Should I have? I dunno but it's never been a problem. I wouldn't do it with a big external pump but most of the stuff inside our tanks don't draw that much current. But again I'm no electrician.
Welp my return pump is plugged into a (not cheap!) power strip (soon to be APEX), but by adding an extension cord I would daisy chain those and am not really comfortable with that idea...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back