External/Display Refugium

Dae

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2023
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
Location
Wyoming
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have little to no room in my sump for a refugium and was looking at a DIY plan to build one that was external to my display. Does anyone have any advice/success with this? Some concerns I have are: 1. If it’s pump driven back to the display, in the case of a pump failure what are some ways to safeguard this? 2. If it’s gravity fed from a bulkhead drilled in an empty tank how well does this work? 3. Could this be done by repurposing an old sump that I have no use for any longer? (This also goes to 1. Being failsafe for a pump malfunction)
 
I don't see how it makes a difference under a stand or next to the stand. You will need your return pump in it then you need a siphon break so the water stops draining. And yes use an old sump is fine. If you want more protection put the sump inside of a bigger container for water safety
 
Plumb the fuge overflow into the current sump. Put a tee and a ball valve to control the flow back to the fuge.
This is how my 30g is plumbed into my 80g sump. It was a macro algae fuge but it worked to well. I removed all the macro and its a Nem tank now.
It has a 3+" sandbed. No3 run 1 and I have to dose po4 daily to keep it around .05.
If you zoom in on the sump you can see the 2 overflows going into one 7" sock.
20230730_095720.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new