External Macroalgae reactors

Samppson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

So I set up my 100g cube about 2 months ago, and everything is going well. The one component I wasnt able to integrate in my design was space in my sump for a refugium, due to stand length restrictions, there just wasnt going to be enough room for my skimmer, return pump, baffles and drains in a 24 inch long 20g DIY sump.

Then, the other day I saw a reddit post about an external macroalgae reactor, and I thought it was awesome, it could sit outside my sump and I could get the benefits of chaeto as well.

Anyone have experience with these? It would have to be an external one, so I imagine it sits outside and pumps water from your sump through the reactor with the chaeto? Any specific recommendations on model/brand? Tips or pitfalls to avoid?

Thank you!

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DIYed one because I have a crappy wet/dry filter instead of a sump. They work like a charm and need to be trimmed weekly lol I took it offline because it was working to good and my tank was fairly new so it was stripping my water of nutrients which led to dinos. Here is a link to my build thread’s update on the diy reactor.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might consider the Reef Octopus Light Reactor. Here is a thread with more info:

I have had the Reef Octopus Light Reactor LR-150 for about six months and have been pleased with the performance. I personally run it internally in my sump, but the link above shows a scenario where it can also be run externally. I believe that @JerSaint has also been using one successfully. Good luck with whatever you decided.

#reefoctopus

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%

Back