External overflow for a peninsula 120g

sullenboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef how's everyone ? I am looking for some advise in regards to a build that I am planning for this upcoming year and wanted to see if anyone can lend some insight to me. The plan is have a custom 120 peninsula style drilled for the synergy 16" overflow. I am fairly new to external overflows and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this particular company or if they can recommend a better overflow system to use, pros, cons, etc ...

Tank will be custom made 4x2x2 - on the right side is where I plan to use the synergy reef overflow and have 2 return lines. everything will be 1in.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few threads here about folks having trouble getting the synergy overflow to run quiet or had salt creep issues. Take a look at modular marine or exotic marine systems. The main problem is the height difference between the internal and external box on the synergy.

OP
OP
S

sullenboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular marine looks perfect for what I am trying to accomplish. Any other suggestions ?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a removable weir on their website. I see a removable lid only.

I use a box from a company which no longer has a website (Elite Aquatics) but had them create a proper removable weir for me as the height of their stock weir was too low.
It left my waterline visible.
They sent me a new weir with the teeth 1/8" higher to accomodate my needs.
I did some testing before the final request. I built a piece of acrylic to raise the height in my DT.

Blocked the overflow to raise it higher and it worked

DSC03585.JPG

This piece replaced the stock lid and blocked the overflow teeth to raise the water level in my tank enough that I no longer saw the water line.
Picture the piece above with the tops of the eyes left and right being the tops of your overflow box lid.
The large slots left and right are the overflow teeth areas, and the bar in the middle is because I have a center bar/support on my tank

This is the removable weir I have from my box

PB050091.JPG

PB050092.JPG

It 'slots' into the front box and allows me to clean the teeth. Also keeps critters out

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are doing a custom tank, can they cut a weir with teeth in the tank thus getting rid of the internal box? They can then make you an exteral overflow and attach it to the tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back