External pump compared to internal

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what the temperature and noise difference is between an in sump pump and an external. I am getting ready to start the 260 build and am looking at my options. I am leaning to external to make more room in sump.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post I'm also contemplating and external pump.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External all the way. I love my reeflo pumps. I have a barracuda on my tank. It draws 2.2amps. Adds zero heat to the water and is fairly quiet. It drives everything on my tank except the Skimmer. I used to have my mrc hooked to it as well. I put a new seal in it when I got it and its performed flawlessly for 3 years now. The dart is a lesser gph but very quiet. I have one that runs my closed loop. 2amp draw for ½the day since I got the wp40s

sent from my old fashioned Galaxy tab with Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I was thinking the heat would be less with external, but i was wondering about noise. I got a lifereef skimmer and he recommends a blueline on it. I will look at the others for the tank. I am thinking somewhere around 2000 gph for tank. I like the idea of having pump out of sump and in the cabinet i am building beside the tank better than having under stand. .... Is the noise as much or more than say an 1800 gph submersible with these??? The warranty i have been looking at looks good too, plus they are rebuildable..

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back