External skimmer in another room

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can I run a line from my sump to another room (5 feet away, slightly elevated) and have my external skimmer there with a feed pump? Not quite sure how water levels work in an external skimmer and don't want it to overflow and pump water out in the room instead of returning to the tank. I want to add a second one to help with filtration but can't fit it in my sump.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you’ll need 2 pumps though. Is just getting a larger skimmer an option?
Run at the same speeds? Like I said not sure about how the water removal actually works but I'd think if flow in is bigger than flow out it could cause problems overflowing. And it might be an option but if I'm going to have to buy a new one I'd like to run the original anyways instead of trying to sell it on here for pennies on the dollar, so I felt like external might be a good choice if I can make it happen

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an extra skimmer but not in a separate room. I think you can pump to the skimmer no problem, but the return out of the skimmer needs to be un-obstructed and flow level or down to the sump. I don't see how two pumps would be a good idea. IMO. Can you return down to the sump from the other room? Maybe even increase the size of the return pipe to avoid any back pressure.

When you size the feed pump don't forget to allow for the head pressure from the elevation and any elbows. Or get an adjustable DC pump.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run at the same speeds? Like I said not sure about how the water removal actually works but I'd think if flow in is bigger than flow out it could cause problems overflowing. And it might be an option but if I'm going to have to buy a new one I'd like to run the original anyways instead of trying to sell it on here for pennies on the dollar, so I felt like external might be a good choice if I can make it happen

I assume/hope the comment on 2 pumps is just referencing that you need a feed pump and the skimmer pump. No need to match speeds or anything like that. A pump feeds the skimmer...and it drains via gravity. You want the feed pump sized appropriately(for extra piece of mind a gate valve and using a DC pump give a lot of room for error). Just have to make sure the plumbing going back to sump via gravity can easily handle the flow you feed pump sends.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume/hope the comment on 2 pumps is just referencing that you need a feed pump and the skimmer pump. No need to match speeds or anything like that. A pump feeds the skimmer...and it drains via gravity. You want the feed pump sized appropriately(for extra piece of mind a gate valve and using a DC pump give a lot of room for error). Just have to make sure the plumbing going back to sump via gravity can easily handle the flow you feed pump sends.
I don’t know if a gravity feed will work with a “slightly elevated” room. Personally, I think this is going to end up being too problematic, costly and prone to water-related issues. So while it can be done, I don’t think it’s necessarily the best option here.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I indicated, it can be done - but could well end up costing more than simply upgrading to a larger skimmer. And you’ve got potential overflow issues with both sumps for a combination of reasons - even if you set everything up properly.

Your best option is to upgrade the skimmer.

What do you mean by "both sumps" he would only have a single sump. External skimmers been used for decades and are not really a risk of setup properly.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if a gravity feed will work with a “slightly elevated” room. Personally, I think this is going to end up being too problematic, costly and prone to water-related issues. So while it can be done, I don’t think it’s necessarily the best option here.
It is literally used by reefers for decades in the same room with no elevation. An external skimmer by design gives you the elevation you need. Water goes in the bottom and out the top. As long as the room is not lower it should be no issue at all.

If his sump will not support the size he wants/needs then an external is certainly a safe viable option

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like he wants to run both as he doesn’t feel he can recoup the costs on the sale of the existing unit. I don’t know if space constraints are an issue.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like he wants to run both as he doesn’t feel he can recoup the costs on the sale of the existing unit. I don’t know if space constraints are an issue.
I mean I can run a slightly larger one on my sump and get rid of the original - it's doing good work and rated for my tank but I've been surprised at the bioload of some of my carnivores. I would prefer to pay 1K for a new external and get to run both for a way higher capacity rather than pay 1K for an internal replacing the original and only getting a 20% capacity increase if that makes sense.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is literally used by reefers for decades in the same room with no elevation. An external skimmer by design gives you the elevation you need. Water goes in the bottom and out the top. As long as the room is not lower it should be no issue at all.

If his sump will not support the size he wants/needs then an external is certainly a safe viable option
Sweet thanks for your input! Wasn't sure how the wall pressure from the pipes would affect drainage through gravity but I guess just making sure I have an ample sized return should do it.

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you already stated but...

1. What size if the tank?
2. What skimmer are you using now?
3. What skimmer are you looking to add?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I guess just making sure I have an ample sized return should do it.
Not size as much as elevation, more drop means you can go smaller. Id run 1 1/4 min though and if you could use your tank drain to gravity feed your skimmer. Been running an EXT skimmer gravity fed and drained for almost 30 years

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size tank! I ordered a Reef Octo SRO 8000 for my 800g. It's a beast. Have you looked at the SROs?

I've been strongly advised to use a recirculating skimmer. I've heard great things about the Deltec.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size tank! I ordered a Reef Octo SRO 8000 for my 800g. It's a beast. Have you looked at the SROs?

I've been strongly advised to use a recirculating skimmer. I've heard great things about the Deltec.
Thanks for the advice I'll check those both out!! And dang an even bigger tank, that's awesome. Some day I'd love a tank in the thousands

Back