Extremely picky Pajama Cardinal

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I didn't think Pajama Cardinalfish (ORA captive bred) were supposed to be picky eaters, but I've had one in my tank for the last 5 months or so that refuses to eat anything but dry pellets (goes crazy for both Hikari "Marine S" and Hikari "Seaweed Extreme"). I've also seen it opportunistically eat the amphipods living in my rockwork which is not a surprise given this species' natural diet.

I feed a range of other meaty foods multiple times per day (frozen cyclops, frozen mysis, Reef Nutrition R.O.E., etc) which the cardinalfish completely ignores. I know they're nocturnal feeders in the wild and have attempted to feed all of the above at both dusk and night to no avail. The fish seems healthy on pellets alone, but I'd love to expand its diet. Anyone experience something similar? Suggestions? Thanks!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I didn't think Pajama Cardinalfish (ORA captive bred) were supposed to be picky eaters, but I've had one in my tank for the last 5 months or so that refuses to eat anything but dry pellets (goes crazy for both Hikari "Marine S" and Hikari "Seaweed Extreme"). I've also seen it opportunistically eat the amphipods living in my rockwork which is not a surprise given this species' natural diet.

I feed a range of other meaty foods multiple times per day (frozen cyclops, frozen mysis, Reef Nutrition R.O.E., etc) which the cardinalfish completely ignores. I know they're nocturnal feeders in the wild and have attempted to feed all of the above at both dusk and night to no avail. The fish seems healthy on pellets alone, but I'd love to expand its diet. Anyone experience something similar? Suggestions? Thanks!

I have an ORA PJ Cardinal and initially it wouldn't eat my LRS Reef Frenzy (only PE Mysis Pellets) but after adding a drop of garlic to a cup of water and mashing up the reef frenzy it started tearing into it and eating like a pig.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it will eat pellets, feed it pellets. Will probably accept other stuff over time.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish was probably fed only pellets I️ts whole life coming from ORA because well that’s what they do(fish from here are more aquarium oriented and fed pellets and flakes). Hopefully it’ll come around Try garlic or feeding pellets with the frozen stuff. Or you can starve I️t by not feeding I️t pellets and only feed frozen. At some time I️t can’t be picky and has to eat the frozen.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that same issue with both my Pajamas and my Banggai. Each will only eat one type of food. The Pajamas will only eat Mysis and the Banggai would only eat pellets.

OP
OP
biophilia

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies. I'm glad to see that others have had similar issues with the captive-bred cardinals. The garlic suggestion is a good one. I'd honestly forgotten all about garlic as an appetite stimulant. I'll add some when I feed mysis next and see if that helps. I may also experiment and stop feeding pellets entirely for a week or so while watching the PJ's weight to see if I can get him/her to eat something else.

@Lasse I spent quite a bit of free time over the last day or so reading your build thread from beginning to end. Such a creative, diverse, and beautiful little ecosystem you've managed to create. The builds I've always enjoyed the most are those conceived by people with a great deal of personal (and observational) experience who aren't afraid to think outside of the box and do unconventional things. I learned a lot from yours -- and hope to put some of it to use at whatever point in the future my girlfriend finally waves a flag of surrender and allows me to get a larger tank! I'm sorry to hear of your recent medical issues. Hopefully you (and your tank) are now on the mend.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @biophilia I have always try to put an holistic point of view when I run into problems and in this build - I try to combine my earlier experiences with new thinking.

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back