Eye infection targeting only angelfish, anthias, and rabbitfish?

FLP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I manage the saltwater section at a LFS here and have been having some issues with eye infections that seem to be targeting only specific species of fish and I am wondering if anyone here may have experienced anything like this. Rabbitfish, anthias, and angelfish seem to be the only species that have been getting some sort of eye infection or parasite. Our QT tanks have many species of fish in them at any given time and the tanks have been treated with copper (except the tank with anthias) and Prazi. At first it seems like a typical eye injury from a scratch or something and after a couple days both eyes seem to get cloudy. There is no "popeye" and after about a month the fish seem to just go blind. The water quality is always good as I am the only person allowed to touch the tanks and I have been maintaining reef aquaria for over a decade. If anyone has any ideas it would be super helpful. I don't have any pictures to post at the moment but will try to get some posted soon. I have successfully handled most common eye issues in the past.
Thank You!
-Tyler, FLP

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all, I manage the saltwater section at a LFS here and have been having some issues with eye infections that seem to be targeting only specific species of fish and I am wondering if anyone here may have experienced anything like this. Rabbitfish, anthias, and angelfish seem to be the only species that have been getting some sort of eye infection or parasite. Our QT tanks have many species of fish in them at any given time and the tanks have been treated with copper (except the tank with anthias) and Prazi. At first it seems like a typical eye injury from a scratch or something and after a couple days both eyes seem to get cloudy. There is no "popeye" and after about a month the fish seem to just go blind. The water quality is always good as I am the only person allowed to touch the tanks and I have been maintaining reef aquaria for over a decade. If anyone has any ideas it would be super helpful. I don't have any pictures to post at the moment but will try to get some posted soon. I have successfully handled most common eye issues in the past.
Thank You!
-Tyler, FLP
If both eyes, you have a bacterial issue going on as its past injury which unless you have a tank with sharp objects injuring eveyone
Flukes are a cause but again there would be other symptoms than just eye.
Treatment will be challenging especially if you have shared system for filters as I did with my LFS
Treatment best is : Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2. My preference: Kanaplex

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

There are multiple causes for cloudy eyes in fish - due to the clear sclera , this shows very readily.

Assuming the cases are related (they might not be) one common cause of cloudy eyes in those species are Neobenedenia flukes. These live on the outside of the eye (and on the fish’s body). There is also a rarer internal eye fluke, but those cause more internal cloudiness - like cataracts.
When Neo gets into a LFS it can be tough to control….prazi doesn’t work well for me. It is super easy to diagnose though - just give the affected fish a 5 minute FW dip and you’ll see the flukes drop off.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to suggest flukes

OP
OP
F

FLP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help, I will dose some kanaplex and oxygenate the water more. Everyone at Reef2Reef have been a great help over the years. In a decade this was the first time I needed to post as you have covered any other issues we have had.
-Ty
FLP

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help, I will dose some kanaplex and oxygenate the water more. Everyone at Reef2Reef have been a great help over the years. In a decade this was the first time I needed to post as you have covered any other issues we have had.
-Ty
FLP
not to be rude, but you are aware that if it is flukes, especially neo flukes, kanaplex will not help right?

OP
OP
F

FLP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware, as I have FW dipped the fish and no flukes are prevalent, that I also don't have much for options.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back