Fading corals

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious for ideas here. Some of my corals tend to fade in my tank, like zoas and Kenya tree, while others stay colorful like lobo, encrusting montis, duncan, ricordea. Trying to figure out why. This Pandora colony is a prime example (it’s been in my tank for 3.5 months)

9B78CD3D-B4BC-4DF9-8F77-47CE1B7D48FB.jpeg
It’s growing quickly in my tank but faded dramatically.

32g biocube
AI Hydra 26 HD in hood
Nitrates 5-8
Po4 .05-.07
Wcs of 25% weekly w hw Marinemix reefer

recently had an ICP come back good but low on trace elements (I dose with Red Sea trace elements but had stopped for a few weeks waiting for the ICP test so I’ve resumed now)

I have a Seneye reef and it says the par where these sit is about 225.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t speak for results, but I saw the same thing recently with SPS and was recommended to look at adding amino acids, carbs, etc that comes from additive products (Aquavitro, RedSea AB+, etc). I started using Aquavitro Fuel to see if I see a change. Only started this weekend though so can’t tell you anything about success/failure yet.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak for results, but I saw the same thing recently with SPS and was recommended to look at adding amino acids, carbs, etc that comes from additive products (Aquavitro, RedSea AB+, etc). I started using Aquavitro Fuel to see if I see a change. Only started this weekend though so can’t tell you anything about success/failure yet.
Forgot to add, I add Brightwell Coralamino daily to the tank. I did see more rapid growth since adding that (and significantly so!). Love the stuff, but didn't fix the color issue. I'm wondering if my lights are too much (though some zoas and palys are fine in my tank, even those getting blasted with more light). I did turn the lights down a bit to see if that would help.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forgot to add, I add Brightwell Coralamino daily to the tank. I did see more rapid growth since adding that (and significantly so!). Love the stuff, but didn't fix the color issue. I'm wondering if my lights are too much (though some zoas and palys are fine in my tank, even those getting blasted with more light). I did turn the lights down a bit to see if that would help.
I think Fuel offers a different supplement than CoralAmino. Fuel (and other products) add vitamins, carbs, etc which is separate from amino acids.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Fuel offers a different supplement than CoralAmino. Fuel (and other products) add vitamins, carbs, etc which is separate from amino acids.
Any concern with phosphates with that product? I had to quit feeding reef roids as it was raising po4 too much.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to cut everything else’s light if they are doing good
Fair point, though all I could do is turn the rock so the zoas were facing the outside of the tank. I have limited space in there (and currently planning an upgrade LOL). Thanks for the idea.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back