Fair price?...

  • Thread starter Thread starter RudeDawg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RudeDawg

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2023
Messages
108
Reaction score
172
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I've been wanting to try a crocea clam for a while now and recently came across one that's available. However, I don't know what how much they usually go for. Anyway, is this one at a fair price?
Screenshot_20250805_104937_Samsung Internet.jpg
 
That is in the ballpark of what I have seen.

Also maybe check these dudes out, loads of clams and good reputation. https://pacificeastaquaculture.com/
if nothing else it would be a good price spot check. Clams really can vary based on color grade and size.
 
$175 is high but not out of the ballpark for a crocea. For that particular one I feel like it's maybe a bit too high, more brown in the mantle than you usually like to see for that price.

I'll second @PacificEastAquaculture for clams, it's one of the things they specialize in. My clam came from them:

IMG_20250803_154852.jpg


The camera doesn't pick up the colors very well, but it's a gold/purple mix. They sent it already attached to a substrate, which did wonders for helping it get established. I think I paid somewhere between $50 and $80 for it. It's classed as a colored Maxima clam, which is one of the cheaper morph/species out there.

If you do make the leap to clams, make sure to set up a spot where you can place it without it tipping over. If they can't get stable, clams have pretty high mortality, and a sick clam is a tasty snack for many of our tank inhabitants.
 
I bought a couple of small ORA ones from @Queen City Corals and they arrived healthy. They've been in the tank a bit over two mouths now and are doing well. I've bought from PEA also and they have nice ones but are a bit pricier.
PXL_20250720_173354533.jpg

PXL_20250720_173500627.jpg



They only have a few currently in stock

LINK

EDIT: just want ti mention the images QCC has online were pretty true to life on the clams and corals I received.
 
Hello,
I've been wanting to try a crocea clam for a while now and recently came across one that's available. However, I don't know what how much they usually go for. Anyway, is this one at a fair price?
Screenshot_20250805_104937_Samsung Internet.jpg
Yes, especially depending on size
 
Hello,
I've been wanting to try a crocea clam for a while now and recently came across one that's available. However, I don't know what how much they usually go for. Anyway, is this one at a fair price?
Screenshot_20250805_104937_Samsung Internet.jpg
From what I’ve seen the pricing is pretty subjective and every clam is unique. If you really like the pattern and coloration then that’s the clam for you.
 
$175 is high but not out of the ballpark for a crocea. For that particular one I feel like it's maybe a bit too high, more brown in the mantle than you usually like to see for that price.

I'll second @PacificEastAquaculture for clams, it's one of the things they specialize in. My clam came from them:

IMG_20250803_154852.jpg


The camera doesn't pick up the colors very well, but it's a gold/purple mix. They sent it already attached to a substrate, which did wonders for helping it get established. I think I paid somewhere between $50 and $80 for it. It's classed as a colored Maxima clam, which is one of the cheaper morph/species out there.

If you do make the leap to clams, make sure to set up a spot where you can place it without it tipping over. If they can't get stable, clams have pretty high mortality, and a sick clam is a tasty snack for many of our tank inhabitants.
Duly noted. I do have a flat spot right under my lights where I'm tempted to place one. I'm more concerned with keeping it alive. I've read somewhere that croceas can be finicky...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new