Falco hawkfish breathing heavily

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my falco hawkfish 1 week and 1 day ago and up to my tank move a couple days ago he has been eating great, perching, and going for the occasional swim. For the past 2-3 days, he has been hiding, breathing heavily, staying on the bottom, and not eating. All other fish are fine and eating well.

Stocking:
2 clowns
1 marble wrasse
1 Royal gramma
1 falco hawkfish
1 mandarin

No visible parasites or any damage , no aggression

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my falco hawkfish 1 week and 1 day ago and up to my tank move a couple days ago he has been eating great, perching, and going for the occasional swim. For the past 2-3 days, he has been hiding, breathing heavily, staying on the bottom, and not eating. All other fish are fine and eating well.

Stocking:
2 clowns
1 marble wrasse
1 Royal gramma
1 falco hawkfish
1 mandarin

No visible parasites or any damage , no aggression

More background info might be helpful, as would a short video taken under white light:

The worry here is that it might be the start of Amyloodinium, velvet. The lack of symptoms in the other fish helps steer away from that diagnosis, but maybe it is early in the infection.

Rapid breathing and not eating is ALWAYS serious.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More background info might be helpful, as would a short video taken under white light:

The worry here is that it might be the start of Amyloodinium, velvet. The lack of symptoms in the other fish helps steer away from that diagnosis, but maybe it is early in the infection.

Rapid breathing and not eating is ALWAYS serious.

Jay Hemdal
It’s not as much rapid, but heavy

I’ve been trying to get a video but he’s in the back corner behind a rock

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the tank swap, I used live rock from my 90g, 80 pounds of live sand, biomedia from my 90g

ive been feeding them lrs and they all go crazy for it. After the move, he just won’t eat and is breathing heavy. I’m not sure if he got damaged from it or has a parasite. I don’t think it is a parasite though because of no other fish having symptoms and it’s already been 3 days like this.

maybe a fw dip for flukes?

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank move, I replaced 60 gallons of the 91 total volume in the new tank and got the rest of the water from my 90g

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to the lfs now to get a few things. Anything I should get for the hawkfish?
It's a tough call - the hawk is breathing very deeply, but also a bit rapidly. It is a tossup between flukes or velvet, but I'm leaning more towards flukes. One possible treatment would be Prazipro. You could also give the hawkfish a 5 minute FW dip to try and buy some time.

Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a touch call - the hawk is breathing very deeply, but also a bit rapidly. It is a tossup between flukes or velvet, but I'm leaning more towards flukes. One possible treatment would be Prazipro. You could also give the hawkfish a 5 minute FW dip to try and buy some time.

Jay
I may just get that while I’m out. Can I give it in baths?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna wait and see how it goes, I got stress coat though

Stress coat probably won't help for an acute issue like this.

I'd either prazipro the whole tank or give it a 5 minute FW dip (some risk with that of course). If, after the dip, the fish improves in a couple of days, then you can be pretty certain it was flukes, and then go with the prazipro.

jay

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress coat probably won't help for an acute issue like this.

I'd either prazipro the whole tank or give it a 5 minute FW dip (some risk with that of course). If, after the dip, the fish improves in a couple of days, then you can be pretty certain it was flukes, and then go with the prazipro.

jay
im not sure if it is flukes or any parasite, they would have to get into the tank through the fish i got a week ago (hawk, wrasse, and gramma), then have no appearance until a couple days ago

i talked to my lfs and that was their say on it

that fish went through a ton of stress through the move, and i dont really want to stress it out more by catching it and putting it into a fw dip

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is still alive, still breathing heavy and not eating

all other fish are eating and doing good

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
he hasn’t improved, I want to do something but I don’t know what.
For starters, add an airstone as Prazi will lower oxygen and appetite. In your video, there is very little water movement form what it appears

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back