OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

Awesome build, I have a question. I'm not too knowledgeable on contracting but did you insulate the basement before putting up the sheetrock? What about the moisture? Looking forward to it done!!

Yes I put standard fiberglass insulation in the walls and ceilings before Sheetrock. I have a humidistat controlled exhaust fan in the room to pull out moisture as well as a window in the room that I plan to keep open most of the time for fresh air. But once I get a better idea of how much moisture is going to be produced in the room I will change thing accordingly.

TysTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

Yes I put standard fiberglass insulation in the walls and ceilings before Sheetrock. I have a humidistat controlled exhaust fan in the room to pull out moisture as well as a window in the room that I plan to keep open most of the time for fresh air. But once I get a better idea of how much moisture is going to be produced in the room I will change thing accordingly.

Great idea on the humidistat and exhaust fan. It’s pretty cool to be able to build a room in advance of a fish tank and all of the build/design choices can be based somewhat on the tank.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as we all know, life gets in the way some times!!! I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on the filter room so I don't have any major updates but I have started to panel the room and work on finishing the compound/taping. Should hopefully have time Saturday to keep chugging along on things.

Here is the rooms current state as of this evening:

IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been awhile since I updated, things have been slow going over the past few weeks. The tank has arrived from Miracles but I am still waiting on my carpenter to finish up the bar/stand build. Below are a few photos/updates!

The final design for the bar/tank:

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.32.22 PM.png

Here is the filter room as of this afternoon. Still so much to do but at least I am heading in the right direction!

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question for everyone:

The plan has always been to have a second DT plumbed into the system on the right side of the sump (between the cabinet) but for the time being I would like to setup my QT in that location. I have been doing a lot of research on setting up QTs and I found something posted from Humblefish regarding the aerosol transfer of diseases. With that said its recommended to stay away from the DT system by 10ft, I don't think I am going to be able to do that. Would putting up a "divider" between the sump and the QT allow me to keep the QT close to the sump? I can try and fit a small QT on the return (angled) wall opposite of the sump which will give me some more space but I don't have anywhere that is 10ft from the sump that I can put the QT.

QT.jpg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been over a year since I started this project and a LONG time since I updated the thread but I finally got a chance to snap a few pics and time to update!

So I have been working on this project off and on when I have time but its been a busy work year so I kinda hit some walls throughout. I am still working with my carpenter friend to finish the bar cabinets which will hopefully be done in the next few weeks. The tank is currently cycling so nothing is going to happen for a bit of time but I did set up a QT for my first few fish (my son wants a pair of clowns :)) so hopefully that will happen in the next week or so.

Here comes some pics!

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the most part the "filter room" is all up and running. I still have more to do with the wire management, apex setup and a few odds and ends with the sump layout but its been working rather well lately with the auto top off (hit a few snags with that but Neptune forum is great!).

room1.jpeg

room2.jpeg

room3.jpeg

room4.jpeg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is what its all about! lol

I went with the Caribsea Liferock and I was happy with the shapes when I did the aquascape. I was trying to avoid the whole "rock wall" look but I think I was able to find a happy medium with this odd shaped tank. I am still messing around with the 2 WAV powerhead locations because I can't keep the sand down in the front corner but I will figure it out sooner or later.

tank1.jpeg
tank2.jpeg
tank3.jpeg

Sorry for the mess under the tank, should have moved that stuff before the pics!

tank4.jpeg

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!
I am going to wager that this 85g will quickly turn into a much larger tank. :)

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will try and get some more detailed photos of the sump area/layout this evening.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overdue Update!!!!

So things have been progressing slowly but I finally have a chance to share some updates and photos!

I went through a major Hair Algae outbreak at the beginning of the summer but after making some changes to my daily maintenance, feeding and manually scrubbing most of it out over a few week period things are looking great. I am still playing around with my lighting settings, WAV pump programming and basic rock layout but every day is a new learning experience.

I am also waiting on my carpenter buddy to finish the canopy top but the lower half of the "bar" is done and he really did a great job.

I also added a DOS pump setup for Alk/Calcium and I couldn't be happier, dosing every day was driving me nuts!

Now on to some photos!

Current Tank Photos:
Bar1.jpeg

Bar2.jpeg

FTS1.jpeg

FTS2.jpeg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns were moved to the main display at the end of July and they have been doing great. I also just added a new BTA that I picked up from @AquaSD that they want nothing to do with :confused:

Clowns.jpeg

NEM.jpeg

I also picked up a bunch of frags from the last @TCK Corals live sale that have been doing great. Definitely would purchase from them again in the future.

Frags.jpeg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly I started working on a custom top for the tank as I am planning to add some fish that are know to jump. Nothing I found on the market would do what I need with the custom tank so I made the frame out of outdoor PVC trim (Azek) and I am going to use a plastic screen that I purchased from BRS to cover the top. Hoping to have that done by the end of the week.

Frame1.jpeg

Frame2.jpeg

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns took 7 months to finally figure the anemone thing out. I even tried trapping them in a plastic cup right by the nem for a while like Melevsreef suggests. Then home from work one day and they were hosting it. It will happen but, it might take some time.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work Chris. Your sump room is amazing! Very professional. The tank looks good. This one is a keeper.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back