Falco's 85g Custom Build

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up R2R…

My name is Chris and after a 10+ year hiatus from the hobby I am finally getting back into it with a custom built tank (appox 85 gallon display). My wife was never really into my tanks but over the years I have worn her down enough to agree to this build (my 3 year old son helped me as of late :D).

I have been planning this setup/build for the past few months and I am currently still in the construction phase (so no tank shots or even a tank yet!). I am a contractor by trade specializing in electrical, audio/video and home automation so I am doing 90% of the build out myself when time allows, so it’s a little slow going. However, I got a good shot in over the weekend and thought it would be a good time to start the thread and open up to suggestions and comments.

The tank is going to be incorporated into a serving style bar that I am having a millwork buddy of mine build. I will have the back and right side of the tank butting up against the walls in the corner of the area and then the bar extends to the left of the tank. I am going for the “built in” look which should be pretty nice. I have an older rough drawing posted below which was before I decided to go with a 32” wide tank, but you should get the idea of what I am planning to do.

My house is a split level ranch which is great because I have an unfinished sub basement that has been used for mainly storage. I was able to carve out a section for a filtration room which shares a wall with the tank area so I am finally able to do this right! My previous tanks were all under stand sumps and I never had enough room for what I wanted to do.

Now to some details that I currently have nailed down and ordered. I’m still working on the rest of the equipment list and should have that worked out this week.

Tank:

Custom Miracles Aquariums Tank (Tank is currently about 2-3 weeks out)
32” Long x 22” Deep by 30” Tall
Starphire Front and Left Viewing Panels
Back Right Overflow with (2) Drain Lines and (1) Return Line (Herbie Method on the Drain)
Note – I would have loved to have gone Bean Animal but the overflow is taking up a lot or real estate so I made the call to go Herbie.

Sump
Bashsea 48” Signature Series Sump

Control System
Decided to go with a new Neptune Apex system. I was thinking about dusting off my old Aqua Control Jr but decided against it ;Happy

Lighting
Ecotech Radion XR30wG4 Pro LED Unit

I will update the thread with progress as I go but for now where is where I am at. Thanks for checking it out!

-Chris
1.jpg

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

0.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

So kids are good for something! ;)

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bit of an update!

I decided that the rock scape still wasn't right so I had a buddy help me one day and I pulled everything out of the tank and started from scratch. After a few hours I was happy with the result and put all the corals and fish back into the tank. Here are some updated pics

Front.jpeg
Side.jpeg
Fish.jpeg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been really happy with the flow in the tank and its driving me a bit nuts. I have the 2 wav pumps and the return but I am still getting a bunch of dead spots at the top of the tank. I am working on a few options but I might post a tread in the main forum to see if anyone has input on what I could do. With the shape of this tank and the way its sitting up against 2 walls there are not many options.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of updates to come later this week when I have some time during thanksgiving break but here is what the tank currently looks like with my Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles) in my Octo Aquatics Acclimation box. Just released him yesterday and it went super smooth!
IMG_9638.jpeg
IMG_9637.jpeg

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider a Gyre pump Chris? With all the Black Friday specials you can get one at a good price.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider a Gyre pump Chris? With all the Black Friday specials you can get one at a good price.
Thanks Mark! I actually did order a XF350 unit from BRS during the sale, gonna give it a try. Over the last few weeks I have reconfigured and reprogramed my WAV pumps and have been a little happier with the flow but I would love to give the Gyre a try. Plus if it doesn't work out for me in the main display I can use the Grye on a new 57g build that I am working on for my filter room!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything going on in the world I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe! I am finally getting an opportunity to work on the system and post some updates. Been through a lot of ups and downs over the last few months but things are looking pretty good at the moment and I am able to share some photos.

Current Fish Stocking List
- Female Onyx Clown
- Golden Midas Blenny
- Blotchy Anthias
- Mandarin Dragonnet
- Pintail Wrasse (male) - Cirrhilabrus isosceles

Main changes to the system:

- Added a new 55g display tank in the "fish room/office" with a fuge/sump added to the system. So now everything is plumbed into one system (Main DT, 55g DT, Main Sump and Fuge). My plan for the 55g system is going to be mostly LPS and Anemones with maybe a few SPS on the upper sections.

- Added a Trident to the Apex system which has been great. Took a few weeks to get the kinks out but it has been working great and I am very happy with it.

- Upgraded the lighting on the main display to the Radion G5 Pro and moved the G4 Pro to the 55g tank

- Kept the WAV pumps on the main display and was able to figure out a configuration I was happy with for flow. I currently have the Gyre I bought on the 55g and it seems to be working nicely.

- I built the stand for the 55g and my "desk" which worked out pretty well. I put casters on the desk so I can move it in and out when needed. I don't think I can fit one more thing into the filter room!!!

- I lost my male clown to what I believe was a swim bladder issue, was a rough one.

- I have been fighting a pretty bad bubble algae issue which I am going to start dosing Vibrant starting this weekend. Manually removing is a losing battle so thats the plan.

- Corals have been finally getting some decent growth but I am not going to be adding any more until the vibrant treatment is done.

- My BTA has split 3 times already, 2 are in the DT still and I was able to move 2 to the 55g in filter room

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how you squeezed another ”display” tank in the “sump” room.

Nice work Chris. The Apex and plumbing look great.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how you squeezed another ”display” tank in the “sump” room.

Nice work Chris. The Apex and plumbing look great.

Thank you Mark, hope you are staying safe during these crazy times!

When laying out the "sump room" I left a little more than 3 feet for a 2nd display so it worked out perfectly. And this whole work from home situation put a fire under me to get the tank up and running and building the desk. I have put more hours in that room during the past few weeks then I ever expected and its been working out great. I am planning to move my single clown and midas blenny down to that tank maybe this weekend so I have some movement in there and the midas has been a bit of a bully in my main display towards my Blotchy and Wrasse so I think it was a matter of time before I moved them down. Also planning to get a new pair of clowns for the main display as I really enjoy watching them pair up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back