Falco's 85g Custom Build

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up R2R…

My name is Chris and after a 10+ year hiatus from the hobby I am finally getting back into it with a custom built tank (appox 85 gallon display). My wife was never really into my tanks but over the years I have worn her down enough to agree to this build (my 3 year old son helped me as of late :D).

I have been planning this setup/build for the past few months and I am currently still in the construction phase (so no tank shots or even a tank yet!). I am a contractor by trade specializing in electrical, audio/video and home automation so I am doing 90% of the build out myself when time allows, so it’s a little slow going. However, I got a good shot in over the weekend and thought it would be a good time to start the thread and open up to suggestions and comments.

The tank is going to be incorporated into a serving style bar that I am having a millwork buddy of mine build. I will have the back and right side of the tank butting up against the walls in the corner of the area and then the bar extends to the left of the tank. I am going for the “built in” look which should be pretty nice. I have an older rough drawing posted below which was before I decided to go with a 32” wide tank, but you should get the idea of what I am planning to do.

My house is a split level ranch which is great because I have an unfinished sub basement that has been used for mainly storage. I was able to carve out a section for a filtration room which shares a wall with the tank area so I am finally able to do this right! My previous tanks were all under stand sumps and I never had enough room for what I wanted to do.

Now to some details that I currently have nailed down and ordered. I’m still working on the rest of the equipment list and should have that worked out this week.

Tank:

Custom Miracles Aquariums Tank (Tank is currently about 2-3 weeks out)
32” Long x 22” Deep by 30” Tall
Starphire Front and Left Viewing Panels
Back Right Overflow with (2) Drain Lines and (1) Return Line (Herbie Method on the Drain)
Note – I would have loved to have gone Bean Animal but the overflow is taking up a lot or real estate so I made the call to go Herbie.

Sump
Bashsea 48” Signature Series Sump

Control System
Decided to go with a new Neptune Apex system. I was thinking about dusting off my old Aqua Control Jr but decided against it ;Happy

Lighting
Ecotech Radion XR30wG4 Pro LED Unit

I will update the thread with progress as I go but for now where is where I am at. Thanks for checking it out!

-Chris
1.jpg

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

0.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up R2R…

My name is Chris and after a 10+ year hiatus from the hobby I am finally getting back into it with a custom built tank (appox 85 gallon display). My wife was never really into my tanks but over the years I have worn her down enough to agree to this build (my 3 year old son helped me as of late :D).

I have been planning this setup/build for the past few months and I am currently still in the construction phase (so no tank shots or even a tank yet!). I am a contractor by trade specializing in electrical, audio/video and home automation so I am doing 90% of the build out myself when time allows, so it’s a little slow going. However, I got a good shot in over the weekend and thought it would be a good time to start the thread and open up to suggestions and comments.

The tank is going to be incorporated into a serving style bar that I am having a millwork buddy of mine build. I will have the back and right side of the tank butting up against the walls in the corner of the area and then the bar extends to the left of the tank. I am going for the “built in” look which should be pretty nice. I have an older rough drawing posted below which was before I decided to go with a 32” wide tank, but you should get the idea of what I am planning to do.

My house is a split level ranch which is great because I have an unfinished sub basement that has been used for mainly storage. I was able to carve out a section for a filtration room which shares a wall with the tank area so I am finally able to do this right! My previous tanks were all under stand sumps and I never had enough room for what I wanted to do.

Now to some details that I currently have nailed down and ordered. I’m still working on the rest of the equipment list and should have that worked out this week.

Tank:

Custom Miracles Aquariums Tank (Tank is currently about 2-3 weeks out)
32” Long x 22” Deep by 30” Tall
Starphire Front and Left Viewing Panels
Back Right Overflow with (2) Drain Lines and (1) Return Line (Herbie Method on the Drain)
Note – I would have loved to have gone Bean Animal but the overflow is taking up a lot or real estate so I made the call to go Herbie.

Sump
Bashsea 48” Signature Series Sump

Control System
Decided to go with a new Neptune Apex system. I was thinking about dusting off my old Aqua Control Jr but decided against it ;Happy

Lighting
Ecotech Radion XR30wG4 Pro LED Unit

I will update the thread with progress as I go but for now where is where I am at. Thanks for checking it out!

-Chris
1.jpg

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

0.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg
Following along. Looks like it's going to be a good build. And it's awesome that your 3 year old wants to get involved. I've got two girls, the 5 year old shows no interest, but the one year old I think is going to be my tank buddy, she wants everything to do with the tank. Just hope she stays that way ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Looks like it's going to be a good build. And it's awesome that your 3 year old wants to get involved. I've got two girls, the 5 year old shows no interest, but the one year old I think is going to be my tank buddy, she wants everything to do with the tank. Just hope she stays that way ;Hilarious

Thank you. Yes I brought him to the local aquarium a few times and he loves going to the LFS (even if we are just window shopping at this point). I think he would have been happy with a beta in a 1 gallon tank but then whats the fun in that? ;)

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I forgot up upload the ROUGH overview of what the filter room is going to look like.

My plan was always to finish this area off as an office so I am thinking of putting a little desk on rollers up against the wall opposite of the sink/future tank so that I can roll it off the wall when I want to do some paperwork or calls and then push it back against the wall when not needed. Also it will allow me a quiet place in the future to do work and view the additional DT I am planning for that room (that tank is a secret BTW :D).
TankRoom.jpg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for an actual tank update, I received some photos today from Miracles of the current state of the tank. They still need a few more weeks to finish it up but its looking pretty sweet. Can't wait to fill this thing up!
IMG_09651.jpg
IMG_09641.jpg
IMG_09661.jpg
IMG_09671.png

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to sheetrock the filter room this weekend but had a few minutes yesterday to mock up what the DT area is going to look like. Because the tank is going to be pushed up against the back and right side walls I am thinking of doing some sort of "in wall" pocket that will allow me to hang my WAV pumps on the back walls. I have to confirm locations with where the beams land but the solid blue tape areas in the photos is what I was thinking.

Note that I am going to have a full canopy on the top of the tank that reaches up to the ceiling so you won't see the wall pockets unless the doors are open on the canopy.

IMG_2523.jpg
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheetrocking is done and I am going to start laying the tile later this week.

Question - what primer/paint combo is recommended for sump rooms? I am guessing some sort of "oil" based primer and exterior rated paint?

IMG_2553.jpg

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Question - what primer/paint combo is recommended for sump rooms? I am guessing some sort of "oil" based primer and exterior rated paint?

You can use most "kinds" of paints as long as it is a satin or semigloss. They finish a lot harder which means that that the paint layer cannot be penetrated as easily. The use of acrylic or oil does not make a difference in my opinion. I am not saying I am a professional painter but I have a fair share of experience.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!!
Thanks! Slow going but hopefully over the next few weeks I will start finishing things up.

You can use most "kinds" of paints as long as it is a satin or semigloss. They finish a lot harder which means that that the paint layer cannot be penetrated as easily. The use of acrylic or oil does not make a difference in my opinion. I am not saying I am a professional painter but I have a fair share of experience.

Thanks for the help. I am planning on putting plastic wall panel on the majority of the walls and then paint the ceiling and walls where my desk is going. But I am going to prime the whole room before the panels go up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home Chris, welcome home! Looking good bro.

Thank bud, its good to be back in the hobby. I didn't realize how much I missed It until I started opening the door to getting back in!

I'd use a PVA drywall primer, then a quality semigloss. Exterior paint couldn't hurt.

Thank you for the recommendation

Tagging along. Love the build so far!

Thank you!!! Hoping to have some more updates over the weekend.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update as I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the filter room but I did finish the tile work and compound/taping the room.

I did get a major order from Premium Aquatics of a lot the major equipment (my Bashsea sump is in the big white box) so thats a big step!

IMG_2482.jpg

And not to hijack my own thread but I spent the day Saturday finally installing my outdoor TV that I have had sitting my garage for the last few months but got It all done for our Kentucky Derby party!

Hopefully will have more to report this week as I am hoping to get more done in the filer room.

IMG_9863.jpeg

apex_everything

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build, I have a question. I'm not too knowledgeable on contracting but did you insulate the basement before putting up the sheetrock? What about the moisture? Looking forward to it done!!

Back