Fallow Period for Ich

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Currently have all my fish out in a QT. Dealing with everyone's favorite parasite.

So my question is, what does everyone think about the info from Humble Fish about a 6 week ich fallow period if tank temp is kept above 27C or approx 80.6F degrees?

Here are the links to what was being discussed:

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds plausible to me as long as there isn't anything in your DT that can't handle the higher temps for 6 weeks.
What’s funny is that I keep my tank around 80 anyway. Wasn’t intentional but it’s where it’s sat for the past year. Originally tried to get it to 78 and it just stayed at 80.

Doesn’t seem to bother the SPS or any other coral. All inverts are fine.

I’ve been curious about this since nobody was really talking about it. I’m halfway through my fallow and my tank has stayed at that temp the whole time. Considering the experiment... especially since the info is coming from Humble.

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results of this paper indicate (iiuc) that activity for C. Irritans (Ich) peaked at 31 degrees Celsius but was inhibited above that. Increasing the temp of your tank just below 31 degrees celsius will in theory speed up the process, but I don't think anyone can say whether 6 weeks is guaranteed to be enough.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results of this paper indicate (iiuc) that activity for C. Irritans (Ich) peaked at 31 degrees Celsius but was inhibited above that. Increasing the temp of your tank just below 31 degrees celsius will in theory speed up the process, but I don't think anyone can say whether 6 weeks is guaranteed to be enough.
Oh I see. Interesting. I got the 6 week number from @Humblefish so it’s not arbitrary. I believe it is his recommendation moving forward. Of course taking into account any low oxygen areas in your tank.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the long road,better safe than sorry.Or have to start all over. I did it one time.and treated every fish that went in the tank.Never had a problem since.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the long road,better safe than sorry.Or have to start all over. I did it one time.and treated every fish that went in the tank.Never had a problem since.
Oh I know how it is. I usually QT everything very carefully. I’m in the current fallow period because a wrasse I received from an LFS somehow had it through a 30 day observation period and it came out the day I put him in the DT. Never again. I’m putting all new additions through CP from now on.

I’m just wondering what people think of the new study that Humble is referencing. He mentioned having it peer reviewed so I’m just wondering if it is worth an experiment.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know how it is. I usually QT everything very carefully. I’m in the current fallow period because a wrasse I received from an LFS somehow had it through a 30 day observation period and it came out the day I put him in the DT. Never again. I’m putting all new additions through CP from now on.

I’m just wondering what people think of the new study that Humble is referencing. He mentioned having it peer reviewed so I’m just wondering if it is worth an experiment.
I know this thread is a bit old but i was wondering the same thing since ive kept my tank at 80F for the past 65 days and im just desperate to add my fish already lol scared of risking it even though according to @Humblefish it should be clear of ich ( mind you its still a good idea to siphon places where therea not alot of flow due to low oxigen areas)

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a bit old but i was wondering the same thing since ive kept my tank at 80F for the past 65 days and im just desperate to add my fish already lol scared of risking it even though according to @Humblefish it should be clear of ich ( mind you its still a good idea to siphon places where therea not alot of flow due to low oxigen areas)
I went with the shorter fallow period as discussed. Had no issues. While I’m sure many will say I may have just gotten lucky with the strain I was dealing with, I still trust the information I received.

I’ve got a Powder Blue Tang in the tank so by all accounts, if there is ich in there, I would know by now. Lol

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the shorter fallow period as discussed. Had no issues. While I’m sure many will say I may have just gotten lucky with the strain I was dealing with, I still trust the information I received.

I’ve got a Powder Blue Tang in the tank so by all accounts, if there is ich in there, I would know by now. Lol
Glad to hear all went well i will give it a couple more days ( at day 72 should be good ) to add the fish wish me luck lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 35+ years, I always used 45 days at 80-82 degrees as my fallow period. I was taught that by my curator at the Shedd Aquarium who got that from Cheung I think. It wasn't until I came here that I even heard about longer periods (grin).

Jay

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 35+ years, I always used 45 days at 80-82 degrees as my fallow period. I was taught that by my curator at the Shedd Aquarium who got that from Cheung I think. It wasn't until I came here that I even heard about longer periods (grin).

Jay
And you never had issues right? So i guess i can add my fish now :D

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you never had issues right? So i guess i can add my fish now :D
Ah, I saw no issues, but longer is safer of course. Part of this hinges on how you dealt with ich in the QT. Very often, people think they eliminated it, but actually only controlled it. Then, moving the fish brings it out active again, not from your DT, but intrinsic on the fish in QT.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I personally like 90 days. Yes it seems long and endless but the benerfits are priceless. Having a few crabs or coral is a way to enjoy tank while you wait.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I saw no issues, but longer is safer of course. Part of this hinges on how you dealt with ich in the QT. Very often, people think they eliminated it, but actually only controlled it. Then, moving the fish brings it out active again, not from your DT, but intrinsic on the fish in QT.

Jay
Yup that happened to me once, ever since i bumped the copper to 2.25 with copper power i havent had any signs of ich in my QT ( fish have been there for 66 days now minus the 30 of copper) and no signs of ich.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like 90 days. Yes it seems long and endless but the benerfits are priceless. Having a few crabs or coral is a way to enjoy tank while you wait.
Yea its definitely a long time even though its best. The main reason i wanna add the fish is because ever since going fallow ive been struggling with nutrients plummeting in my tank, i dose nitrates and phosphates as well as feed pellets 4 times a days and frozen food twice. Been at this for over 2 months now and its getting frustrating lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yea its definitely a long time even though its best. The main reason i wanna add the fish is because ever since going fallow ive been struggling with nutrients plummeting in my tank, i dose nitrates and phosphates as well as feed pellets 4 times a days and frozen food twice. Been at this for over 2 months now and its getting frustrating lol
It will quickly return upon waste being produced.

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
What happens if the tank drops to say 79 for a short period of time during that

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if the tank drops to say 79 for a short period of time during that
Nobody really knows. Protozoans are pretty simple creatures, my suspicion is that the fallow period is only extended for a small amount…. Worst case scenario, just extend the fallow period by the amount of time the temperature dropped.
I’ve read ridiculous things like “if the temperature drops, you have to start the fallow period over” - that’s not true or course.

Jay

Jay

Back