Fallow Period for Velvet Using High Temperature

LovinlifeinGuam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 31, 2020
Messages
6,673
Reaction score
5,740
Location
Guam
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that if the temperature of the tank is raised to about 81 degrees Fahrenheit the fallow period can be reduced to only 45 days which is what I plan to start asap...However, I was just wondering if there is any danger to healthy coralline algae if the temp is much higher than 81...Here we use Celsius which is 27.2 degrees (hard to find a heater that accurate so I was planning to round it up to 28 degrees Celsius. This is a FOWLR tank so the only inhabitant is the live rock and bacteria it hosts. Can coralline algae be damaged by temps at this level? (28 degrees C)
 
I understand that if the temperature of the tank is raised to about 81 degrees Fahrenheit the fallow period can be reduced to only 45 days which is what I plan to start asap...However, I was just wondering if there is any danger to healthy coralline algae if the temp is much higher than 81...Here we use Celsius which is 27.2 degrees (hard to find a heater that accurate so I was planning to round it up to 28 degrees Celsius. This is a FOWLR tank so the only inhabitant is the live rock and bacteria it hosts. Can coralline algae be damaged by temps at this level? (28 degrees C)

I've never had any issue with coralline related to higher temperatures - 82 or less.

Remember - the "fallow period" idea came from a study decades ago done with Cryptocaryon (marine ich) where some tomonts survived at 68 degrees, in a xeric culture (no bacteria) for around 76 days. That study, and the discussions about using 45 days at higher temperatures really shouldn't be extrapolated over to Amyloodinium / velvet.

Personally, I'd opt for a full 75 day fallow period, just because velvet is so nasty and difficult to control if it returns.

Jay
 
I've never had any issue with coralline related to higher temperatures - 82 or less.

Remember - the "fallow period" idea came from a study decades ago done with Cryptocaryon (marine ich) where some tomonts survived at 68 degrees, in a xeric culture (no bacteria) for around 76 days. That study, and the discussions about using 45 days at higher temperatures really shouldn't be extrapolated over to Amyloodinium / velvet.

Personally, I'd opt for a full 75 day fallow period, just because velvet is so nasty and difficult to control if it returns.

Jay
I'll go with the longer fallow period along with the higher temperature since you're the expert on the subject...sadly my other tank is also in a fallow period for the same issue (it was fallow once before but somehow the little jerks survived...as tempting as it is to just take a chance on the 45 day fallow period, I'm sick and tired of losing fish so I'll take your advice. I was also planning on getting a canister filter with a UV light when I get back from my trip in 2 weeks just on the off chance they somehow survive like last time maybe that type of filter with the UV will help to "manage" the parasites as I've heard from a few others. Have you ever heard of or experienced this?
 
I'll go with the longer fallow period along with the higher temperature since you're the expert on the subject...sadly my other tank is also in a fallow period for the same issue (it was fallow once before but somehow the little jerks survived...as tempting as it is to just take a chance on the 45 day fallow period, I'm sick and tired of losing fish so I'll take your advice. I was also planning on getting a canister filter with a UV light when I get back from my trip in 2 weeks just on the off chance they somehow survive like last time maybe that type of filter with the UV will help to "manage" the parasites as I've heard from a few others. Have you ever heard of or experienced this?
UV can kill the free living stage of ich and velvet, but don’t do anything for the dormant stage or the feeding stage. For that reason, they limit, but usually can’t eliminate protozoan parasites.
Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new