Fallow Period for Velvet Using High Temperature

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that if the temperature of the tank is raised to about 81 degrees Fahrenheit the fallow period can be reduced to only 45 days which is what I plan to start asap...However, I was just wondering if there is any danger to healthy coralline algae if the temp is much higher than 81...Here we use Celsius which is 27.2 degrees (hard to find a heater that accurate so I was planning to round it up to 28 degrees Celsius. This is a FOWLR tank so the only inhabitant is the live rock and bacteria it hosts. Can coralline algae be damaged by temps at this level? (28 degrees C)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that if the temperature of the tank is raised to about 81 degrees Fahrenheit the fallow period can be reduced to only 45 days which is what I plan to start asap...However, I was just wondering if there is any danger to healthy coralline algae if the temp is much higher than 81...Here we use Celsius which is 27.2 degrees (hard to find a heater that accurate so I was planning to round it up to 28 degrees Celsius. This is a FOWLR tank so the only inhabitant is the live rock and bacteria it hosts. Can coralline algae be damaged by temps at this level? (28 degrees C)

I've never had any issue with coralline related to higher temperatures - 82 or less.

Remember - the "fallow period" idea came from a study decades ago done with Cryptocaryon (marine ich) where some tomonts survived at 68 degrees, in a xeric culture (no bacteria) for around 76 days. That study, and the discussions about using 45 days at higher temperatures really shouldn't be extrapolated over to Amyloodinium / velvet.

Personally, I'd opt for a full 75 day fallow period, just because velvet is so nasty and difficult to control if it returns.

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any issue with coralline related to higher temperatures - 82 or less.

Remember - the "fallow period" idea came from a study decades ago done with Cryptocaryon (marine ich) where some tomonts survived at 68 degrees, in a xeric culture (no bacteria) for around 76 days. That study, and the discussions about using 45 days at higher temperatures really shouldn't be extrapolated over to Amyloodinium / velvet.

Personally, I'd opt for a full 75 day fallow period, just because velvet is so nasty and difficult to control if it returns.

Jay
I'll go with the longer fallow period along with the higher temperature since you're the expert on the subject...sadly my other tank is also in a fallow period for the same issue (it was fallow once before but somehow the little jerks survived...as tempting as it is to just take a chance on the 45 day fallow period, I'm sick and tired of losing fish so I'll take your advice. I was also planning on getting a canister filter with a UV light when I get back from my trip in 2 weeks just on the off chance they somehow survive like last time maybe that type of filter with the UV will help to "manage" the parasites as I've heard from a few others. Have you ever heard of or experienced this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go with the longer fallow period along with the higher temperature since you're the expert on the subject...sadly my other tank is also in a fallow period for the same issue (it was fallow once before but somehow the little jerks survived...as tempting as it is to just take a chance on the 45 day fallow period, I'm sick and tired of losing fish so I'll take your advice. I was also planning on getting a canister filter with a UV light when I get back from my trip in 2 weeks just on the off chance they somehow survive like last time maybe that type of filter with the UV will help to "manage" the parasites as I've heard from a few others. Have you ever heard of or experienced this?
UV can kill the free living stage of ich and velvet, but don’t do anything for the dormant stage or the feeding stage. For that reason, they limit, but usually can’t eliminate protozoan parasites.
Jay

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back