OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture?
Fish fins usually grow back as long as they don’t get infected and if the aggression is stopped.
Jay
20231202_022838.jpg

This is a picture I just took, the long fin that it used to have is about 20% of its orignal size. I am not too worried as it only has 19 more days of quarantine left, but if there's anything you could suggest to help the fish if nessecary then that'd be great

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231202_022838.jpg

This is a picture I just took, the long fin that it used to have is about 20% of its orignal size. I am not too worried as it only has 19 more days of quarantine left, but if there's anything you could suggest to help the fish if nessecary then that'd be great

Thanks

What other fish are in with it? That certainly began as tankmate aggression and has possibly become infected.

Jay

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in with it? That certainly began as tankmate aggression and has possibly become infected.

Jay
A female clownfish

Never seen it avtually chase the firefish away but I noticed back in the DT it would try to move it away if it got too close

If its infected could I treat once its in the DT (18days time) if there's reef safe solutions, or should I treat in the QT?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A female clownfish

Never seen it avtually chase the firefish away but I noticed back in the DT it would try to move it away if it got too close

If its infected could I treat once its in the DT (18days time) if there's reef safe solutions, or should I treat in the QT?

Clownfish are pretty sly, you won't see if it is attacking it because they stop when you are around. It really must have begun with some mechanical damage, so if not the clown, then it was something....

To treat with true antibiotics, you would need to move it to a QT. You would need a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neomycin.

Jay

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are pretty sly, you won't see if it is attacking it because they stop when you are around. It really must have begun with some mechanical damage, so if not the clown, then it was something....

To treat with true antibiotics, you would need to move it to a QT. You would need a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neomycin.

Jay
Alright thanks for the info Jay

They are in QT for another 18 days so I assume that's long enough for a full treatment, being in the UK makes finding fish treatments harder than it should be but I will do some research. What sort of infection could this be and what is the indicator of it? Looks like some sort of finrot if it is an infection and not aggression

Just in case this helps with identification, this is a picture of the firefish from just over a month ago:
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-02 at 19.20.45_15302770.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do they look like bite marks? This is what caused me to think it is aggression

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those look like bite marks to me.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back