Fallow Period

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys after my last post, I’ve come to the conclusion that I most likely started a mini cycle on my tank which caused my more sensitive fish to die while some of the other remain. I have 6 fish left. I read @Humblefish post about new fallow period wherein you raise the DT to 86F-88F and that shortens the fallow period to 2 weeks. I’m thinking of transferring my fish to my 50 gallon temp tank, put it one marinepure bio block from my DT for bacteria I also have a fluval 407 canister filter I can use for filtration. I will clean my skimmer but keep in tank (maybe just turn it off), remove the purigen, chemipure, carbon, all filter pads, felt socks (replace with mesh ones to capture any sand/debris). I’ll keep my marine biospheres in during the fallow period because the nitrifying bacteria will be fine in 86F. I’ll keep the RedSea wavemakers and mp40s in running. Might place one wavemakers in the sump not sure if that’s required. I’ll also replace a gallon of DT water with new water for the 2 weeks to remove any copper I have left over as @vetteguy53081 suggested. With the fallow period I can basically start afresh not having to worry about ICH. I just wanted to get your feedback or opinion on what you guys think?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys after my last post, I’ve come to the conclusion that I most likely started a mini cycle on my tank which caused my more sensitive fish to die while some of the other remain. I have 6 fish left. I read @Humblefish post about new fallow period wherein you raise the DT to 86F-88F and that shortens the fallow period to 2 weeks. I’m thinking of transferring my fish to my 50 gallon temp tank, put it one marinepure bio block from my DT for bacteria I also have a fluval 407 canister filter I can use for filtration. I will clean my skimmer but keep in tank (maybe just turn it off), remove the purigen, chemipure, carbon, all filter pads, felt socks (replace with mesh ones to capture any sand/debris). I’ll keep my marine biospheres in during the fallow period because the nitrifying bacteria will be fine in 86F. I’ll keep the RedSea wavemakers and mp40s in running. Might place one wavemakers in the sump not sure if that’s required. I’ll also replace a gallon of DT water with new water for the 2 weeks to remove any copper I have left over as @vetteguy53081 suggested. With the fallow period I can basically start afresh not having to worry about ICH. I just wanted to get your feedback or opinion on what you guys think?
A temp of 86 or higher is unnecessary as 81 will already safely shorten the fallow period from 6-8 weeks to 4-6 weeks.
As for copper, simple carbon, chemipur or purigen will remove it.
Not sure the reason for wavemaker in sump but would nit recommend as it will create a cloudy mess. After the Fallow period, you can do a siphoning to remove any dead matter and restart the tank and add livestock slowly

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you went to fast before and had a catastrophe and now you are looking at methods to hurry up and complete your fallow period and remove copper from your DT that should never have been added. This plan should work out about as well as your last rushed approach.

One of the absolute key important traits in this hobby is patience. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you went to fast before and had a catastrophe and now you are looking at methods to hurry up and complete your fallow period and remove copper from your DT that should never have been added. This plan should work out about as well as your last rushed approach.

One of the absolute key important traits in this hobby is patience. Nothing good happens fast in reefing.
No your assumption is incorrect. You can see the link yourself, studies show that increasing the temp can shorten the fallow period. If I can do it in 2 weeks I don’t see the point of waiting out the extra time. The link is from @Humblefish and I believe him to be a reputable and trusted source. I like having my fish in the DT not in some side tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with @Lavey29 on this.
Raised temp does speed up disease life cycle, but is it really worth the risk?
I would just keep the tank fishless for 60 days. Unless you have a time sensitive need to rush the fallow period, it’s one of those things where the slow option is always better IMO.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A temp of 86 or higher is unnecessary as 81 will already safely shorten the fallow period from 6-8 weeks to 4-6 weeks.
As for copper, simple carbon, chemipur or purigen will remove it.
Not sure the reason for wavemaker in sump but would nit recommend as it will create a cloudy mess. After the Fallow period, you can do a siphoning to remove any dead matter and restart the tank and add livestock slowly
Apparently in order to have a successful fallow period it’s important to eliminate any hypoxic/anaerobic areas to prevent any protomonts from using that area to “encyst” and reappear later after you’ve added fish. So I figured maybe use a wavemaker in the sump just to be sure.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with @Lavey29 on this.
Raised temp does speed up disease life cycle, but is it really worth the risk?
I would just keep the tank fishless for 60 days. Unless you have a time sensitive need to rush the fallow period, it’s one of those things where the slow option is always better IMO.
I’m all for ideas but saw something new so just shared.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Stay with protocol and be careful what you read- It gets many in trouble. Im disturbed often when one goes on another site or two and brings their theory here . You want to fix the issue and while you have the right to explore other sites, often blame is posed on one of the sources when things go wrong.
The elevated temp method works best with Velvet which is a flagellate and I would stick with normal protocol given to you previously.
Nothing worse that discovering the fallow was not completed and saying " Darn, I should have waited that 1-2 weeks" to repeat for another 8 weeks

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No your assumption is incorrect. You can see the link yourself, studies show that increasing the temp can shorten the fallow period. If I can do it in 2 weeks I don’t see the point of waiting out the extra time. The link is from @Humblefish and I believe him to be a reputable and trusted source. I like having my fish in the DT not in some side tank.
You obviously know exactly what to do then as evident by your posting history so not sure why you even seek advice here? Good luck in this hobby. It is very rewarding but also very sad when fish and corals suffer.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously know exactly what to do then as evident by your posting history so not sure why you even seek advice here? Good luck in this hobby. It is very rewarding but also very sad when fish and corals suffer.
I’ve never said I know everything, in fact I didn’t know much when I started, that’s why I joined this forum because I thought it was a place where one is suppose to post and share any queries or issues they’re having and as most people here have in the past are suppose to share their knowledge and guidance. You seem like you’ve never had any issues with your tank. I’m not wary about following other’s suggestions but just assuming I’m doing something for the sake of doing it is incorrect and nor do I appreciate any non-humorous sarcasm. Thank you however for replying to my post.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this clue stated: caused a mini cycle

Those don't happen, they're a construct from old cycling science when people saw .25 on api after moving a rock, or feeding or doing a water change (things that don't kill bacteria)

There are no half or mini cycles. A display either has enough surface area to handle common ammonia insults in 30 mns or less, or it doesn't and the entire tank crashes.

The remedies you're seeking also don't involve cycle issues, who told you that a mini cycle selectively killed some fish/ how did you arrive at a cause here

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never said I know everything, in fact I didn’t know much when I started, that’s why I joined this forum because I thought it was a place where one is suppose to post and share any queries or issues they’re having and as most people here have in the past are suppose to share their knowledge and guidance. You seem like you’ve never had any issues with your tank. I’m not wary about following other’s suggestions but just assuming I’m doing something for the sake of doing it is incorrect and nor do I appreciate any non-humorous sarcasm. Thank you however for replying to my post.

If you had patience you would minimize your tank issues but dont worry the reef will still be here for your next upcoming emergency. Ive had my share of tank issues also and i learn from each one of them to improve my reefing skills and knowledge but really, I learn from those here with decades of experience and as I stated above, the one thing that is unanimously agreed too is " nothing in the hobby happens quickly".

I wish you luck with your tank and any inhabitants that are still alive and will forego responding to any of your threads in the future .

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious about this clue stated: caused a mini cycle

Those don't happen, they're a construct from old cycling science when people saw .25 on api after moving a rock, or feeding or doing a water change (things that don't kill bacteria)

There are no half or mini cycles. A display either has enough surface area to handle common ammonia insults in 30 mns or less, or it doesn't and the entire tank crashes.

The remedies you're seeking also don't involve cycle issues, who told you that a mini cycle selectively killed some fish/ how did you arrive at a cause here
I rinsed all my live rock in freshwater..

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had patience you would minimize your tank issues but dont worry the reef will still be here for your next upcoming emergency. Ive had my share of tank issues also and i learn from each one of them to improve my reefing skills and knowledge but really, I learn from those here with decades of experience and as I stated above, the one thing that is unanimously agreed too is " nothing in the hobby happens quickly".

I wish you luck with your tank and any inhabitants that are still alive and will forego responding to any of your threads in the future .
Thank you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back