fallow tank after ick/velvet outbreak

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm not sure what my fish had, but when I first noticed the wrasses ( only the wrasses) flashing on the bottom of my tank, I knew there was trouble.
I did not observe and of the other fish flashing.
None of the anthias, basselets, clowns, the butterfly, or the flame angel showed that behaviour.
I thought maybe I was dealing with a ick management thing.
But I knew I had to do something as fast as I could.
It took almost 2 weeks ( when you have to work ) to get a tank and enough equipment put together and setup to house 21 fish. They just weren't going to fit in my 29 qt.
The day before moving the fish I noticed only 3 of the 7 anthias were visible and the pair of black cap basslets were missing as well as the royal gramma.
When I took the tank apart to catch all the fish, I only found 1 of the missing fishes bodies.
I had seen all of them just a few days before. So whatever got them, it went fast.

So now fast forward to day 27 of copper and all the remaining fish look good and will continue copper atleast until the end of the month.

So now back to the display tank.
The tank remained fishless for 2-1/2 weeks while I remodeled my kitchen.
Then I setup a temporary tank with all new water and moved all of the corals over to it.
Sterilized the display tank with bleach.
Then added all new water and completely new cycled rock.

So, the general rule is to run a 72-76 day fallow period.
But even after 2 complete swaps and all new rock?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused about the rock. Is the rock new dry rock or live rock? If it's live rock, the 76 day QT is recommended.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm a bit confused about the rock. Is the rock new dry rock or live rock? If it's live rock, the 76 day QT is recommended.
It was completely new rock cycled before I took everything apart.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had been planning a reboot on this tank for a while and already had a couple hundred lbs. of Real Reef rock and had it in a separate tub cycling for a while using Dr. Tims One and Only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The reason I even asked was because there was 2 tank transfers of the coral. Pretty much what you would do with a TTM with fish.
The live rock from the tank was discarded. ( for other reasons. not the ick)

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've completly sterilized the tank and added new rock that hasn't been exposed to anything then you should be fine not to worry about the 76 days.

If you're asking if it's ok to put the coral back in the tank and still not wait 76 days I would suggest you read this and make a decision
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.334584/

I agree. Your risk of cross-contamination is very high. All the coral and any inverts removed from the DT need to quarantined in a fishless environment (ideally 10’ or more away from DT and any QTs containing fish) for at least 76 days.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited for you! I’m thinking of going fishless in my reef, and the 76 days seems like it will be an eternity. There’s no question I have ick with only 2 clowns and one green chromis that I believe could survive a nuclear war

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back