Fan noise issues. Any Orphek iCon owners out there?

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s also not the diode temp but the heat sink temp. I know the diodes are over 91 as I have tested them with a heat gun. I’m fact depending on how the sensor is mounted it might be the air temp above the heat sink and not even the metal directly. The last orphek internal I saw the temp probe was air temp and had silicone mounting off the metal.

thankfully there are a few fans less fixtures now so that is good news for your setup, couple years ago would have been out of luck.

Ok, I just checked mine with a heat gun, and couldn't find any diodes over 97 degrees.

I found this:

"Almost all LEDs, components and LED strip circuits are designed to withstand temperatures of 185°F (85°C) or more without any detrimental effects on their longevity, reliability and operation. As such, except for poorly designed or malfunctioning LED strip products, or those installed in extreme locations where ambient temperatures are very high, virtually no LED strips will reach these temperatures, and there should be few concerns about whether an LED strip will malfunction due to heat."

In any case, I guess it is what it is, and I should look elsewhere for fanless LEDs. A part of me still thinks, though, that there's something wrong with my iCon, and it should be lowering the fan speeds until the heat actually approaches levels that would damage the unit.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hart24601 - do your fans run all the time? That would answer my question as to whether or not my unit is defective. Even at 50%, mine run at full speed.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hart24601 - do your fans run all the time? That would answer my question as to whether or not my unit is defective. Even at 50%, mine run at full speed.

I will try and remember to check them tonight during ramp down. I can’t hear them so I honestly have no idea but will see.

wow when I IR gunned the diodes I think they were like 150 but I can’t remember the exact numbers. I’ll check my build thread and see if wrote down.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was what it got with my heat gun when 1st upgraded and on my h380:

Temp reported by the unit's heat sink = 101
Aluminum top = 95 but varies
Metal sides where exhaust vents = 100-105
Pointing the heat gun straight up into the LEDs not sure what part it's measuring = 130-150

Here is my kessil h380 temps with same infared heat device:

Top = 85
Side exhaust = 112
Side panel = 95
Bottom metal = 105
Pointing into the LED = Exceeded the max of the machine of 230 although the edges recorded 220 before the 'HI'

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and remember to check them tonight during ramp down. I can’t hear them so I honestly have no idea but will see.

wow when I IR gunned the diodes I think they were like 150 but I can’t remember the exact numbers. I’ll check my build thread and see if wrote down.
Thanks! It sounds like your powerheads make enough noise that you can't hear the fans anyway. I did some more testing, and my fans come on immediately when you first turn the lights on at 100%. If you lower the intensity, the fans stay at that speed all the way down to 50%. Below 50%, the fans decrease in intensity all the way down to 20%. At 20% and below, the fans are off, or at least silent. So it's appearing to me that the fan speed is totally dependent on the light intensity, and the controller ignores the actual temp when it decides on the fan speed.

You'd need to turn off the pumps and see if you hear fans at 50% and above, in order to replicate what I'm saying. Not sure if you're willing to do that.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I can see them driven by the intensity not temp - I don’t know their logic behind it, perhaps easier to code or if the temp sensor is dirty or bad the fans still go. I can hear the fans if I stand next to tank with my head near the light at 100%. But will see if others chime in, I shot too much as a youth that didn’t think hearing protection was important…. So I’m not a great judge. They are quieter than some of my other lights for sure like older radions and kessil but I’m not a good indication and my tank isn’t very quiet either. I do hope you find something that works well. My friend runs orphek bars and has an amazing tank which have passive cooling. Let me find his thread.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a nice setup. Did you consider also putting some shorter bars between the Stratons? Probably overkill, but overkill is my middle name.
Yes would have definitely been overkill. Only added the bars because i had them on my old tank. I start the bars about an hour before the Stratons come on and the corals just glow in that light.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes would have definitely been overkill. Only added the bars because i had them on my old tank. I start the bars about an hour before the Stratons come on and the corals just glow in that light.
I just found out that the Orphek bars aren't dimmable. I had assumed they were. Isn't that an Issue?

Meanwhile, sad news for me. The Stratons are backordered 4-6 months. I can't wait that long. I'm now looking at Reefbreeders (which have fans, but are supposedly completely silent). Maybe order the Stratons now and sell the Reefbreeders when I get the Stratons. If I do get the Stratons, I think I'd pair them with Reefbreeders LumenBars, which are dimmable and schedulable.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bars are on a timer and 2 over a 180 are more of an accent than primary light so they are great for my application but not necessarily for anyone

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out that the Orphek bars aren't dimmable. I had assumed they were. Isn't that an Issue?

Meanwhile, sad news for me. The Stratons are backordered 4-6 months. I can't wait that long. I'm now looking at Reefbreeders (which have fans, but are supposedly completely silent). Maybe order the Stratons now and sell the Reefbreeders when I get the Stratons. If I do get the Stratons, I think I'd pair them with Reefbreeders LumenBars, which are dimmable and schedulable.
They are dimmable if you replace the included driver..
Orphek at one point in time was "supposed" to offer dimmable drivers. Not sure why this never materialized.

Replacement drivers are not "exact" replacements..but close enough.
Dimming protocol is 10v analog, 10v pwm, or pot dimming. Meanwell brand.
Inventronics had better matches but hard to find.

Very long story.

Since most use them as accent lights dimming isn't exactly necessary.

BTW sbreef has bars and are dimmable..

Same here:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded my V4G2's to iCon. My initial thoughts were the control is a huge and desperately needed improvement but the fans are noticeably louder.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Since I started this thread, I've tested a few more lights. The Orpheks are by far the loudest, and the only ones that don't vary fan speed based on temperature. The quietest I tested was the Reefi. Next quietest is GHL Mitras. I think I am going to go with the Mitras. My installer is steering me away from the Reefi because they are pucks.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 28 20.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 33 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back