LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iPhone shot with Orphek lens of my primary frag tank
06F1F5D7-AF90-46F5-80A5-F4934EAEA33B.jpeg

All actinics iPhone shot of one of my backup system tanks with Orphek lens.
63559E28-204B-49AB-B426-C34C75385B9D.jpeg
I wouldn't get anything done in here. I see a good 2 weeks of just staring at each tank. Then probably start over because I missed something! Incredible and inspiring!
What kind of lighting are you running?
And gear as far as testing and dosing?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get anything done in here. I see a good 2 weeks of just staring at each tank. Then probably start over because I missed something! Incredible and inspiring!
What kind of lighting are you running?
And gear as far as testing and dosing?
I try to cram that 2 weeks into 1-2 he nightly sessions. I run an Aquaticlife Radion/T5 hybrid over each tank. Testing is trident over the main system and Alkatronic on the backup system. I just dose foundation elements via calcium reactors. I dose potassium nitrate in the backup system because my nitrates are too low. Tried Fuel but it caused a bit of dinos so going back to the potassium nitrate. That’s it. Main system I don’t dose anything.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the last 3 weeks I’ve been lowering my drip rate on my lanthanum chloride for phosphates. As a reminder, since probably Fall I’ve noticed my phosphates were out of control. My normal GFO usage amount was not cutting it anymore and it got to the point that if I didn’t change the GFO out every other day, it would jump from 0.04 ppm to 0.15 in a day. That’s why I switched to lanthanum as I could constantly drip it.

Well, I think I hit my mark a month ago and all the bound phosphate leached out of my rocks. At least that’s my best guess as to what happened. Because I was lowering my lanthanum dosage every couple days as I would have no phosphates detected and my torts started to look really pale.

During the sump swap weekend, I ran with no lanthanum and after I finished, read my phosphate level after 3-4 days of no dosing and it was just 0.02 ppm. Wow! Normally, in a day it would jump to 0.15 ppm.

That being the case, I don’t think I need to run lanthanum anymore and part of me is hoping I won’t have to go back to GFO either now that I have a sump that I have room for a massive ball of chaeto in one chamber. Goal is 10-20ppm nitrates and 0.03-0.1 ppm phosphates.

Cool thing is now I can probably move my 4-port Versa doser along and just keep the Apex DOS doser instead. Love this new sump already!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back