FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely awesome.

Can you tell us a little more about your flow? How often is it that strong, is it always random, etc.
Oh my, you asked the million dollar question. [emoji50]

I have 2 Ecotech MP60s programmed as such in the screen grabs.

I also have 2 Jaebo MP40s programmed with the custom profiles below:

Wave1 is a non-coordinated, smashing of both pumps. It's not synced and just random pulses.

Wave 2 is a coordinated 2-3" (vertical height) wave motion in my tank, similar to my old Tunze nano wavebox.

LtFlush is my left pump blowing at 100% for 2 minutes (alternates with RtFlush for total tank gyre flows that reverse direction...we can call this my Maspect Gyre mode)

RtFlush is my right pump blowing at 100% for 2 minutes

DblFlush should really be called export mode... as it's my Lt Flush and Rt Flush crashing into each other and stirring everything up.

DuskDawn is a very low energy wave mode to ramp things down

Night is low intensity 10 second bursts followed by 10 seconds of stillness

Pulse mode is high energy 10 second bursts followed by 10 seconds of stillness... I wanted to replicate the swells of waves going over a reef.
f5d996764f94e62419e8ccb54ec8d319.jpg
dc277ae9b6b16dfdccb4c63bc8171e9a.jpg

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cornbred Flaming Phoenix starting to color up real nicely.

IMG_20180123_105318.jpg

IMG_20180123_105119.jpg

Is this a picture of your Frag tank? You keep sand in it? I’ve been wondering after all my reading of the stability and maturity required for sps how they grow in a Frag tank / Frag qt with nothing but a rack in it. I would like to set up a Frag qt for the system I plan to build next. You obviously have this game figured out... care to enlighten me? Thanks!!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a picture of your Frag tank? You keep sand in it? I’ve been wondering after all my reading of the stability and maturity required for sps how they grow in a Frag tank / Frag qt with nothing but a rack in it. I would like to set up a Frag qt for the system I plan to build next. You obviously have this game figured out... care to enlighten me? Thanks!!

Hi LDH. Yes, that is my frag tank and yes, I put about 1-1.5" sand layer in it. It is merely for aesthetics and for my melanarus wrasse to sleep in.

I wouldn't give me too much credit, it is plumbed into my main DT and sump which is where all the processing power is for keeping the water at a quality level.

If I ran a fully independent frag tank, I would probably not keep sand in it honestly.

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi LDH. Yes, that is my frag tank and yes, I put about 1-1.5" sand layer in it. It is merely for aesthetics and for my melanarus wrasse to sleep in.

I wouldn't give me too much credit, it is plumbed into my main DT and sump which is where all the processing power is for keeping the water at a quality level.

If I ran a fully independent frag tank, I would probably not keep sand in it honestly.

Cool thanks for getting back to me. :)

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, you asked the million dollar question. [emoji50]

I have 2 Ecotech MP60s programmed as such in the screen grabs.

I also have 2 Jaebo MP40s programmed with the custom profiles below:

Wave1 is a non-coordinated, smashing of both pumps. It's not synced and just random pulses.

Wave 2 is a coordinated 2-3" (vertical height) wave motion in my tank, similar to my old Tunze nano wavebox.

LtFlush is my left pump blowing at 100% for 2 minutes (alternates with RtFlush for total tank gyre flows that reverse direction...we can call this my Maspect Gyre mode)

DblFlush should really be called export mode... as it's my Lt Flush and Rt Flush crashing into each other and stirring everything up.

Pulse mode is high energy 10 second bursts followed by 10 seconds of stillness... I wanted to replicate the swells of waves going over a reef.
f5d996764f94e62419e8ccb54ec8d319.jpg
dc277ae9b6b16dfdccb4c63bc8171e9a.jpg

Thanks for all the detail.

Which Jaebos?

And for the left and right "flush" programs, how often do these run? Do these for into the WXM module programming?

I just set mine up. Neat so far.

Edit: Oh the flushes are the Jaebos? What did you use to program these?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the detail.

Which Jaebos?

And for the left and right "flush" programs, how often do these run? Do these for into the WXM module programming?

I just set mine up. Neat so far.

Edit: Oh the flushes are the Jaebos? What did you use to program these?
Jaebo WP40s.

I have them connected via VDM port using the Jaebo-Apex connector sold by Fishstreet.com.

Quick summary of my Apex programming for my Jaebos.

Variable Dimming port programs (both left and right) and 3 timer programs are all outlet configurations. You'll need to setup virtual outlets for Timer 1-3 to program them. You can delete all the other virtual outlets that are created as they are not needed. You will need to do this with the normal control panel, not ApexFusion. The Timer outlet programs are a way to somewhat randomize programs through the day between specific times so your tank is always switching between the 3 Timer programs over the default set background program. For instance, from 15:00-23:59, my Apex will be running Lt_Flush and Rt_Flush as my default background and then throughout the day, Timer 1-3 will turn on and run one of the three other programs (Dblflush, Pulse, or Wave2) during that time to mix it up a little.

But before you can even program any of the outlets, you'll need to create the profiles below as Apex will not accept programming outlets with profile names that don't exist yet. Kind of the chicken before the egg thing so just program your profiles first.

Variable Dimming Port program (Left Jaebo)

Set Wave1

If Time 11:30 to 14:59 Then DuskDawn

If Time 15:00 to 23:59 Then Lt_Flush

If Time 00:00 to 02:29 Then DuskDawn

If Time 02:30 to 11:29 Then Night

If Outlet Timer1 = ON Then DblFlush

If Outlet Timer2 = ON Then Pulse

If Outlet Timer3 = ON Then Wave2

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Variable Dimming Port program (Right Jaebo)

Set Wave1

If Time 15:00 to 23:59 Then Rt_Flush

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer 1 (Virtual Outlet)

OSC 120:00/010:00/000:00 Then ON

If Outlet Timer2 = ON Then OFF

If Time 00:00 to 15:00 Then OFF

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer 2 (Virtual Outlet)

OSC 045:00/015:00/000:00 Then ON

If Outlet Timer3 = ON Then OFF

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer 3 (Virtual Outlet)

OSC 015:00/005:00/000:00 Then ON

If Outlet Timer1 = ON Then OFF

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Profiles

Wave1

Synchronize - yes

Divide by 10 - yes

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 9

Off Time - 3

Min Intensity - 30

Max Intensity - 70

Wave2

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - yes

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 7

Off Time - 4

Min Intensity - 30

Max Intensity - 80

Lt_Flush

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 120

Off Time - 120

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

Rt_Flush

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 120

On Time - 120

Off Time - 120

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

DuskDawn

Synchronize - yes

Divide by 10 - yes

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 7

Off Time - 4

Min Intensity - 30

Max Intensity - 60

Night

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 10

Off Time - 10

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 30

DblFlush

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 60

Off Time - 60

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

Pulse

Synchronize - yes

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 10

Off Time - 10

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

Summary of my profiles:

Disclaimer, I'm not a programmer in any sense of the word but I'm quite proficient at borrowing code from others and fitting it to my needs.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaebo WP40s.

I have them connected via VDM port using the Jaebo-Apex connector sold by Fishstreet.com.

Quick summary of my Apex programming for my Jaebos.

Variable Dimming port programs (both left and right) and 3 timer programs are all outlet configurations. You'll need to setup virtual outlets for Timer 1-3 to program them. You can delete all the other virtual outlets that are created as they are not needed. You will need to do this with the normal control panel, not ApexFusion. The Timer outlet programs are a way to somewhat randomize programs through the day between specific times so your tank is always switching between the 3 Timer programs over the default set background program. For instance, from 15:00-23:59, my Apex will be running Lt_Flush and Rt_Flush as my default background and then throughout the day, Timer 1-3 will turn on and run one of the three other programs (Dblflush, Pulse, or Wave2) during that time to mix it up a little.

But before you can even program any of the outlets, you'll need to create the profiles below as Apex will not accept programming outlets with profile names that don't exist yet. Kind of the chicken before the egg thing so just program your profiles first.

Variable Dimming Port program (Left Jaebo)

Set Wave1

If Time 15:00 to 23:59 Then Lt_Flush

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Variable Dimming Port program (Right Jaebo)

Set Wave1

If Time 15:00 to 23:59 Then Rt_Flush

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer 1 (Virtual Outlet)

OSC 120:00/010:00/000:00 Then ON

If Outlet Timer2 = ON Then OFF

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer 2 (Virtual Outlet)

OSC 045:00/015:00/000:00 Then ON

If Outlet Timer3 = ON Then OFF

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Timer 3 (Virtual Outlet)

OSC 015:00/005:00/000:00 Then ON

If Outlet Timer1 = ON Then OFF

If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Profiles

Wave1

Synchronize - yes

Divide by 10 - yes

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 9

Off Time - 3

Min Intensity - 30

Max Intensity - 70

Wave2

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - yes

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 7

Off Time - 4

Min Intensity - 30

Max Intensity - 80

Lt_Flush

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 120

Off Time - 120

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

Rt_Flush

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 120

On Time - 120

Off Time - 120

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

DuskDawn

Synchronize - yes

Divide by 10 - yes

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 7

Off Time - 4

Min Intensity - 30

Max Intensity - 60

Night

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 10

Off Time - 10

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 30

DblFlush

Synchronize - no

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 60

Off Time - 60

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

Pulse

Synchronize - yes

Divide by 10 - no

Initial Off Time - 0

On Time - 10

Off Time - 10

Min Intensity - 0

Max Intensity - 100

Summary of my profiles:

Disclaimer, I'm not a programmer in any sense of the word but I'm quite proficient at borrowing code from others and fitting it to my needs.
Wow, thanks for the details!

I also shamelessly steal (borrow) from others for programming (hence my questions) [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'm wondering how you have any sand on the corners or ends of your tank although it seems like it would be better than having the pumps all blow the same direction.

Very aweaome indeed and thanks for the openness and transparency!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for the details!

I also shamelessly steal (borrow) from others for programming (hence my questions) [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'm wondering how you have any sand on the corners or ends of your tank although it seems like it would be better than having the pumps all blow the same direction.

Very aweaome indeed and thanks for the openness and transparency!
Big help is the Tropic Eden Reeflakes. Its the best sand hands-down in my opinion. Larger grain size that doesn't get blown around easily but small enough for wrasses to dive into the sand and sleep. Plus, hardly any dust when adding new.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big help is the Tropic Eden Reeflakes. Its the best sand hands-down in my opinion. Larger grain size that doesn't get blown around easily but small enough for wrasses to dive into the sand and sleep. Plus, hardly any dust when adding new.
Yup I have four bags of it in my tank.

I get some or the corners showing but I'll be switching up the flow a bit. We'll see if it helps.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this thread was an inspiration to read. Your natural reefing skills are great and your willingness to share your knowledge is really cool. This thread has me even more excited to get the last bit of plumbing suplies I need and get to work on my stand. Incredible tank! Thanks so much for sharing! Also, what is that yellow scrolling coral with the purple polyps called? I have GOT to get one of those. Thanks again!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this thread was an inspiration to read. Your natural reefing skills are great and your willingness to share your knowledge is really cool. This thread has me even more excited to get the last bit of plumbing suplies I need and get to work on my stand. Incredible tank! Thanks so much for sharing! Also, what is that yellow scrolling coral with the purple polyps called? I have GOT to get one of those. Thanks again!

Thanks for reading along Scottsquatch! Its amazing how many different hats you have to wear in this hobby. Going from biologist, to chemist, to electrician, and amateur plumber. I'll say that my plumbing skills may be the most deficient but at that same time, I had the most fun cutting and gluing pipe. Just a word of advice, I'm not sure where you are getting your plumbing supplies from but buy extra of all pieces and then return what you don't use. That'll save you like 500 extra trips to Home Depot and some cursing. Secondly, another reefer pointed me out to Home Depot online carrying colored PVC for much cheaper than the reefing sources.

That is exactly what you described, yellow tubinaria... Aka... Yellow scroll coral. I'm a stick guy but won't ever get rid of this awesome old school coral. It is the truest yellow in my whole tank and the truest yellow I've seen in my 14 years in the hobby. I just need to give it a better spot in my tank. [emoji45]

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with zachxlutz. Those polyps are extending way too much for my liking! HAHAHA
Don't give me too much credit for the ORA Chips having so much polyps... It'd have that much if you threw it in a freshwater tank. [emoji28] Its the fuzziest acro out there... Even survives the onslaught of angels nipping. I wish I could distribute this oldie more around the hobby but its just such a terrible shipper. Its as bad as shopping ice fire echinatas... Almost not worth it.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have said it before most have a green thumb, Farmer Ty has a Coral Thumb. There isn't anything he can't grow, and fast. I tried twice to get a Laura's coral from DD (DOA), Ty gets one and in a couple months I get a frag from him and it grows great. To this day I have never lost a coral frag that I got from him.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have said it before most have a green thumb, Farmer Ty has a Coral Thumb. There isn't anything he can't grow, and fast. I tried twice to get a Laura's coral from DD (DOA), Ty gets one and in a couple months I get a frag from him and it grows great. To this day I have never lost a coral frag that I got from him.

Thanks for the kind words Alton! Its nice having my tank somewhat back at the point of the previous tank in terms of growth. It took some steps backwards when I moved for sure.

I only hope I can do the same for the newer additions, Jason Fox Homewrecker, RR Pink Floyd, TCK Plutonium Pikachu, RR Angry Birds, SC Orange Passion, and RRC Pink Cadillac. Grow babies grow!

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reading along Scottsquatch! Its amazing how many different hats you have to wear in this hobby. Going from biologist, to chemist, to electrician, and amateur plumber. I'll say that my plumbing skills may be the most deficient but at that same time, I had the most fun cutting and gluing pipe. Just a word of advice, I'm not sure where you are getting your plumbing supplies from but buy extra of all pieces and then return what you don't use. That'll save you like 500 extra trips to Home Depot and some cursing. Secondly, another reefer pointed me out to Home Depot online carrying colored PVC for much cheaper than the reefing sources.

That is exactly what you described, yellow tubinaria... Aka... Yellow scroll coral. I'm a stick guy but won't ever get rid of this awesome old school coral. It is the truest yellow in my whole tank and the truest yellow I've seen in my 14 years in the hobby. I just need to give it a better spot in my tank. [emoji45]
Thanks for the heads up on the plumbing supplies. Much appreciated! I was almost ready to go with braided tubing due to the cost of the colored PVC. How did you like the corner overflows in the tank you had before the move? Were they fairly silent? I ask because I have a 220 with the same setup that I will be building after I finish up with this 33 long. My wife wouldn't let me have the big tank upstairs in the living area so I had settle for something smaller. ☹

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on the plumbing supplies. Much appreciated! I was almost ready to go with braided tubing due to the cost of the colored PVC. How did you like the corner overflows in the tank you had before the move? Were they fairly silent? I ask because I have a 220 with the same setup that I will be building after I finish up with this 33 long. My wife wouldn't let me have the big tank upstairs in the living area so I had settle for something smaller. [emoji852]

Mine were super silent in the corners plus it made it easier to hide the overflows with the rock scape and coral growth. I do like the Shadow Overflow on the new tank as it takes up such little room but at least for me, not really silent no matter how I tune it and there just always some salt creep here and there. Its also impossible to hide using any form of aquascaping but at least takes up only minimal space in the tank.

My next tank will have full coast to coast external overflow so I don't have to look at overflow boxes in the tank anymore. [emoji1]

You can do some good stuff with a 220 gallon tank! [emoji6]

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back