FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing about Bayer that I love but forgot to mention is how incredibly gentle it is on your coral. Ive dipped numerous types of acros, even smoothies, and have seen no I’ll effects at all. Unlike some of the harsher dips out there. The only downside is the milky water that inhibits seeing what came off the frag you dipped. I’ve remedied this a little by using a clear container and shining a strong flashlight down thru the top and viewing what is laying on the bottom of the container, from the bottom. It actually works pretty well....
I've taken to pouring the contents of the first dip container through a coffee filter and examining what's in it while the corals are in the "rinse" containers. I do this because of not being able to see through the milk. Just a second safeguard before putting them in my display.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 hrs and counting... still no power.
Definitely need to send me one of each of your corals. We will just call it an offsite backup. Hopefully you get power back soon. Nothing like compounding an already uncomfortable situation, with fear of tank complications.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m back!
excited james harden GIF by NBA

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am. It pretty much kills everything but red bugs, white bugs, and black bugs. Only interceptor really knocks those out.

I buy a large bag of water softener pellets at Home Depot.
I figured as much for the red/white/black bugs...always has to be something that can survive it. Hopefully they sell some mini bags too.

Now now, I have to jump in with a correction here....the home made Bayer (now called Bio Advanced) recipe dipped for 10 minutes will totally wipe out white bugs. I know because I’ve experimented with them to see what dip will kill them. Bayer and Dr G’s is the only thing that wiped them out completely. I know it’s a strong pesticide, but I can’t take the chance of ANYTHING getting into my system! Just have to make sure you thoroughly rinse after dipping!
I used to love bayer (at least the old formulation). I think I'll have to stay away from the hard stuff while I'm doing the apartment living for now.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve actually used Bayer for about 7-8 years now. Loved how easy it is on acros... only thing I ever found sensitive to it was acropora surharsoni.... everything else it was like water... didn’t even bug the frags.

I made a conscious decision to stop using it for two reasons 1) it would just knock out aefw, which was effective enough for removal... but once placed back in clean water, some would snap back out of it and be perfectly fine. I didn’t want to miss one and it recover in my system. 2) I had kids and didn’t want a bottle of pesticide sitting in my fish room and being used in there as well.

Potassium chloride straight murders aefw, is not a pesticide so I don’t mind getting my hands in it... if only briefly as an open cuts will start to burn. I don’t have to worry about rinsing it 2-3x over and getting pesticides in my tank. It seems to kill everything but bugs... which the old formula of Bayer did about the same. I remember red bugs surviving the old Bayer well... even as milky white as I poured it. And on bag of water softener pellets is like a decade of dips, for someone even as active in dipping as me. Normal users probably have a lifetime supply.

I then follow up with periodic interceptor treatments to the backup/QT tank to knock out any bugs (white, black, red) that survive the potassium dip.

I found this to work for me and be less of a hassle and safety issue than working with Bayer. Bayer is great, works well, and is easy on the corals. I just wanted to use something different for my purposes.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium chloride straight murders aefw, is not a pesticide so I don’t mind getting my hands in it... if only briefly as an open cuts will start to burn. I don’t have to worry about rinsing it 2-3x over and getting pesticides in my tank. It seems to kill everything but bugs... which the old formula of Bayer did about the same. I remember red bugs surviving the old Bayer well... even as milky white as I poured it. And on bag of water softener pellets is like a decade of dips, for someone even as active in dipping as me. Normal users probably have a lifetime supply.

I use this, no environmental issues, mine comes from the supermarket, Lo (low) salt that you would put on food, it is around 55% Potassium chloride and I use a tea spoon in a litre of old tank water. :)

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make up picture day since I inundated you guys with me me me drama... boohoo... I don’t have power for 17 hrs and it’s 30 degrees outside... Wah... I left my RO on and flooded my backup system. I’ll keep my drama more isolated next time.

TSA Princess Peach
B02A70F7-021D-4869-8382-DCA703BDEDD7.jpeg

Walt Disney
8AEE0EFD-B940-4A24-A210-AE29C3F41E43.jpeg

CC Bahama Mama
9A1C61D9-503F-4652-B91B-58996D1ABA5D.jpeg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make up picture day since I inundated you guys with me me me drama... boohoo... I don’t have power for 17 hrs and it’s 30 degrees outside... Wah... I left my RO on and flooded my backup system. I’ll keep my drama more isolated next time.

TSA Princess Peach
B02A70F7-021D-4869-8382-DCA703BDEDD7.jpeg

Walt Disney
8AEE0EFD-B940-4A24-A210-AE29C3F41E43.jpeg

CC Bahama Mama
9A1C61D9-503F-4652-B91B-58996D1ABA5D.jpeg
That Princess Peach is a stunner!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming you got hit with the arctic blast I seen on the news for TX? Hope all is well!
Oh brother... 7 degrees outside. Texas isn’t prepped for this... we’re losing electrical grids all over the place. Snowpacalypse.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh brother... 7 degrees outside. Texas isn’t prepped for this... we’re losing electrical grids all over the place. Snowpacalypse.
1613419684455.png

1613419587198.png

Right there with ya... This is crazy weather! Generator is on standby. I might freeze but at least the corals will stay warm in the shack.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back