Fathead Anthias qt

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a fathead in qt going through ttm. Having trouble getting it to eat anything. It hides constantly until I turn off the air pump then it becomes active but still won't eat. Tried turning down the air to reduce turbulence but no luck. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
ViciousDlishus

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went right into ttm from store. Haven't been able to get it to eat since bringing home this is day 4.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a fathead in qt going through ttm. Having trouble getting it to eat anything. It hides constantly until I turn off the air pump then it becomes active but still won't eat. Tried turning down the air to reduce turbulence but no luck. Any suggestions?

I've tried to keep three of these guys at different times in the last couple of years and never got one of them to ever take a bite of anything. Good luck, maybe try some live brine shrimp.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think live brine and live blackworms are both good starts to entice a fish to eat

Have you checked for flukes? Noticed any head twitching?

ForrestGump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Pbh-reef. Start trying different foods until you find something she likes. Mysis shrimp, copepods, algae. Also she may be nibbling at things left in the tank while your not watching if she's not becoming really thin.

OP
OP
ViciousDlishus

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tried 2 different kinds of mysis, reef frenzy, pellets and reef roids. I'll have to see what I can come up with for live foods. Still looks fat and healthy no twitching but still skittish when the bubbler is going.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a finicky eater as well but been doing well for some 9 months now despite not eating a whole lot. I've tried a large variety now and found it seems to like fish eggs quite a bit. It will eat the occasional mysis or brine but not regularly. It tries all sorts of food but spits most of it out. :(

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with fish eggs being a good non live food to try.

Hatchinglive brine is very easy and cheap, they also stay alive for awhile. Black worms entice fish to eat and are super nutritious but die fast (sometimes the fish will
Still eat dead ones)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about blackworms is Where do you obtain them? For example I don't think they're available anywhere in my area, and a well-known California supplier no longer ships live ones.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a very old school freshwater LFS in my city (San Francisco) where I get them. But yes they are hard to find!

OP
OP
ViciousDlishus

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on garlic guard or other appetite promoters? Snake oil or worth a try?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back