Fathead Sunburst Anthias owners? Too shy?

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into a Fathead Sunburst Anthias for my 180g reef. I have a very peaceful tank with no jerk faces so it shouldn't be bullied. I am okay with a somewhat shy fish but I don't want a fish that hides and does not come out and hides for hours at a time. I have a Marine Betta that is pretty, but I don't see everyday. The Betta also so requires spot feeding which I don't want to do again. Current tank.

Thoughts on Fathead Anthias from owners?

20230620_194740.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I've found seems to indicate they are bottom/cave dwellers and will probably spend most of their time peeking out of a cave when you're viewing the tank. Kind of like your marine betta but without the spot feeding requirement.

I would imagine they're similar to dottybacks in terms of behavior, ie: they'll cruise around the nooks and crannies near the bottom of the tank - occasionally darting out for food, etc.

You'll want to ensure you have some rock work to accommodate them. I've found barnacle clusters work particularly well for many different types of fish.

I don't have any of these fish, but I have several others (lyretail chromis, bicolor chromis, dottybacks) that behave in a similar manner.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into a Fathead Sunburst Anthias for my 180g reef. I have a very peaceful tank with no jerk faces so it shouldn't be bullied. I am okay with a somewhat shy fish but I don't want a fish that hides and does not come out and hides for hours at a time. I have a Marine Betta that is pretty, but I don't see everyday. The Betta also so requires spot feeding which I don't want to do again. Current tank.

Thoughts on Fathead Anthias from owners?

20230620_194740.jpg
Ive had lyertail anthias, but anthias in general require a good sized harem (one male at least 4 females) and they do require multiple feedings a day. If you dont have enough of them they dont to well, hide, wont eat and die

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 6 months. He was shy for the first couple of days and hid but after that he has been in the front of the tank out in the open swimming in the current constantly. He only hides at night and runs away every so often when my hippo tang wants to be a punk. Definitely one of my favorite fish.

20230731_224034.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 6 months. He was shy for the first couple of days and hid but after that he has been in the front of the tank out in the open swimming in the current constantly. He only hides at night and runs away every so often when my hippo tang wants to be a punk. Definitely one of my favorite fish.

20230731_224034.jpg
Beautiful

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230731_224034.jpg
Awesome! I have always wanted one. I think I will try and hopefully it works out. Beautiful tank!

OP
OP
CookieRdReef

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My betta is shy too! Had him 4 months now and he is getting slightly better. Stunning fish and for sure has a presence when you see them!
I have had mine for almost a year. When I do see him when I walk by the tank I know he's hungry and wants spot fed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back