Faulty Powerbar 5.1 Dimmable Sockets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Powerbar 5.1 units, both of which were bought second hand so they are not under warranty. Both of them have a faulty dimmable socket S5.

I'm just trying to use these as regular switched sockets, not dimmable ones. The socket on one of them is always off - I initially thought it was likely a burnt fuse but I've tested the fuse with a multimeter and it appears to be fine. The socket on the other is always on, no idea what could be causing that.

Has anyone encountered this? Strange that they've each failed in a different way - makes me think that at least one of them is probably some simple thing I'm missing. I've also reached out to GHL support but I'm hoping that this is something I can repair myself.

Thanks!

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have each of the sockets configured?

1679155058963.png

1679155200306.png

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are set to 'Switchable'. The one that is off was set to 'always on' and the one that is on was set to 'always off' - I was doing testing and trying to force the state. It doesn't matter what mode they are set to, manual control doesn't work either. Neither channel is inverted.

I just noticed something interesting that I hadn't caught until now - not only does the socket itself not follow the switch channel mode, the state in the software doesn't either. You can see here that S5 is set to always on but is off and S10 is always off but is on. There's also no current measured on S5 even though I have a UV sterilizer connected to it drawing a fair bit of power.

Even weirder - those states are backwards. S5 is the one that is always on and S10 is the one that's always off! I'm certain I haven't got the two confused, I've cross checked with the other devices on each powerbar (and I have everything labeled anyway). Both Powerbars are on the latest firmware.

Should I try a PAB system reset? This is starting to look like a bug rather than a hardware issue with the Powerbars as I initially suspected. . .

336616096_580962010735005_1947065136326787679_n.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a little bit funny. It has happen me that relay´s have "burned" leaving the socket on or off (but not with 5.1 but power hubs) However the software have reported on or off even if there was no changes IRL. If you sett a "virtual" switch (a not assigned switch) to on or off - you will see it as on or off in the software. What I would recommend in a situation like this is to await the answer from the GHL. Complete the ticket with the facts in your last post

What I have done by my self. Double check that I have used the right FW for 5:1 - it should still be PAB-_V101

1) How does it look on the Touch panel?
2) Reset the PAB. Check the software with no P-bars assigned or the touch pad - does it react normal or not?
3) Break the PAB chain - connect only the first P-bar and assign it. Is it any changes. If not switch to the other PAB connector on the bar. Still not OK - test to change the numbers to 11-15 instead and test the software
4) de-assign the first P-bar - remove it and connect the second P-bar - assign - any changes? If not OK - do the same as above
5) if both work OK - reset an physical connect both p-bars - assign - any changes?
6) Connect and assign the touch panel - any changes?

If point 4 and 5 still not is OK - switch PAB outlet on the computer.

It could still be a hardware problem

Sincerely Lasse

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

One of our engineers is waiting for your answers to his questions on ticket system so he can help you.

Gaël

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have responded on the ticket - but it seems like the sockets are faulty anyway so I'm not sure it's worth digging too deep on the other issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back