Favia coral big bubble

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen a favia bubble up like this before? It looks like it’s about to pop lol

IMG_3922.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, LPS have been know to bubble inexplicably sometimes:
I don't know if this is related or not, but it reminds me of when corals "bounce" unexpectedly (such as the acans discussed below):
They're basically joking that you've either got two corals or a "bounce" acan that would be potentially be valuable.

The only thing I can find on this condition is that it may potentially be caused either by some kind of high lighting (some people say LED's, others UV; it's basically thought to be similar to sunburn reaction in people) or by elevated potassium levels, and it doesn't seem to negatively impact the corals in any way (but the bubbles if popped are prone to infection):
So, it may be high lighting/UV or it may be elevated potassium; I've also heard of this happening to a number of other LPS corals (including different hammers), with suspected potential causes such as: coral starvation/lack of nutrients in tank, coral overfeeding, lack of flow, and toxins and/or activated carbon. No one seems to know for certain what causes it, though, and it doesn't seem to be harmful.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a favia with a bubble like that, something popped it about a month ago, interesting how it develops almost normal polyp structure but lacks any skeleton

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had a favia with a bubble like that, something popped it about a month ago, interesting how it develops almost normal polyp structure but lacks any skeleton
What happened when it popped? Was it ok? I've heard of some LPS detaching from their skeletons and floating off to a new area of the tank and growing a new skeleton....but maybe that was a reefing urban legend.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened when it popped? Was it ok? I've heard of some LPS detaching from their skeletons and floating off to a new area of the tank and growing a new skeleton....but maybe that was a reefing urban legend.
It just disappeared after a day or two and went back to normal, had that bubble for over a year

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back