Sick hammer coral help

Tyes68gto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
First post here so hope I found the right forum area. For a few months now my hammer coral has been puffy and I can not figure out why, hoping someone with more experience might be able to help. Chemistry is on from what I can tell- calcium 450, alk 8.4, ph 8.34 on probe, no detection of no3 or po4. Salinity at 1.025 and temp stays 75-76. When it originally happened thought maybe my light bulb was getting weak and went to the current Tru lumen. Made no change, last week I got a AI prime to try more light and still when lights on it puffs up like a balloon. Have even had 3 heads bail out prior to AI. Any ideas would be great I really appreciate it. Sorry for Poe picture quality I only have my phone to take photos.

Tank info
Bio Cube 29
Mj1200 pump
Hydro korilla nano wave makers
AI Prime HD light
In tanks baskets Chato with light
Purigen and chemi pure
3gal water chages weekly with read sea coral pro salt

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current levels? I.e. Alkalinity, pH , salinity.

OP
OP
T

Tyes68gto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current the tank is at today
Alk 8.4
calcium at 450
magnesium 1290
ph at night with lighted fuge dips to 8.15 lights on reads at 8.34
Salinity 1.025
No trace of po4/no3 granted my test kits don't test for very low levels.

Nothing has changed chemistry wise that I have caught testing since August when this all started. I'm beyond baffled. I even dipped in Coral RX incase of hitchhiker but nothing was added to tank then and I see no bugs etc on it. I even gave my toad stool away to a friend thinking maybe toxic warfare with no change after 2 weeks. Thank you for putting a second set of eyes on my issue.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean with puffy?
Like swollen, over rated polyp extension?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
First post here so hope I found the right forum area. For a few months now my hammer coral has been puffy and I can not figure out why, hoping someone with more experience might be able to help. Chemistry is on from what I can tell- calcium 450, alk 8.4, ph 8.34 on probe, no detection of no3 or po4. Salinity at 1.025 and temp stays 75-76. When it originally happened thought maybe my light bulb was getting weak and went to the current Tru lumen. Made no change, last week I got a AI prime to try more light and still when lights on it puffs up like a balloon. Have even had 3 heads bail out prior to AI. Any ideas would be great I really appreciate it. Sorry for Poe picture quality I only have my phone to take photos.

Tank info
Bio Cube 29
Mj1200 pump
Hydro korilla nano wave makers
AI Prime HD light
In tanks baskets Chato with light
Purigen and chemi pure
3gal water chages weekly with read sea coral pro salt

Can I be honest? I'd pull the chemipure and purigen out. I'll bet the water is either running too clean, or the combo of both resins is releasing something that's driving it crazy.

OP
OP
T

Tyes68gto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching out further than normal but looks like a ballon about to pop. Then when lights go out will deflate and look shriveled up. Have not moved location at all. has been happy there for almost 3 years. That's why I thought maybe light, swelling for more surface area. I ramped AI up to 105% for multiple days and even tried a frag off of it only 5" under the water to really get light and just seemed to get more puffy. have not seen any heads trying to bailout for about a week but have lost over 10 now.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I can think of is when looking at your coral is that's starving for food.
You see the stems are kind off transparent and the coral it self is in a lighter color in the process of bleaching.
More food or dosing with N03 will be your friend.
Maybe back-off on the Purigen and chemi pure.
You need to get a readying on your No3 from 4ppm and Po4 0.05

OP
OP
T

Tyes68gto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can chemi pure and purigen do that, I didn't know you could run to clean. I was running chemi and purigen I thought before this but maybe not?

OP
OP
T

Tyes68gto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled both chemi pure and purigen out and gave it a shot of marine snow to help raise no3 and po4, here's to hope! Should I avoid my normal weekly water change and dose as needed to let them rise? On led light should I back it down or let it keep burning at high output?

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled both chemi pure and purigen out and gave it a shot of marine snow to help raise no3 and po4, here's to hope! Should I avoid my normal weekly water change and dose as needed to let them rise? On led light should I back it down or let it keep burning at high output?

With your levels being where they are, you should have some time. I'd go to a bi weekly water change for a short period and keep a close eye on things. I know some people swear they are totally photosynthetic, but I'd try to dust them with some zoo and or phyto and see what happens. The marine snow is supposed to be something similar I believe so you're in good shape. Just smell and make sure it's not contained in some sort of vinegarish solution. The sudden blast of something acidic would do more harm than good I believe.

Keep us posted! [emoji106]

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post, but feeding reef roids help raise levels

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back