Favia nit doing so well

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have this favia on the bottom of my tank. Ive had it for years and have grown it out from a tiny frag.

In its prime it was about 2.5in in diameter. Its looked great and had die off...great and die off. Well now is yet another one if this low times. For months this coral has looked sad. Not fluffy, little if any feeder extension after lights out...even with food in the water column.

Its on the sand bed of my Nuvo 20. I am running a single AI Prime 16HD. 14" above the water using BRS settings. I used an Apogee PAR meter and I get 80-150PAR throughout the tank. The favia in particular gets about 120.

I run full lights for 5hrs a day, then drop my whites about 50% for another 5 hours with a 1hr ramp up and down. Not blasting the corals with light as its all LPS and softies. Leathers, duncans growing. Hammer is out and happy...just the favia.

Run and MJ900 return and MP10 on one side...constant mode 50% and 35% at night.

Salinity 1.026
Temp 77
PH 7.8-8.1
Alk 10
Ca 440
Mg 1350

I know Alk is on the high side, but been that way for over a year and i would rather stay consistent since everything else is growing and doing well. Overall things look fine but the favia just won't grow, or even puff up for that matter.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
20210308_201827.jpg
20210308_201831.jpg

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you feed it and what are your nitrates and phosphate levels? Could be hungry or slowly starving?

Another thought if it is slowly receding is bacterial infection. Could try an iodine dip in Lugols?

I see some sand on it... Does it ever get the lower portion buried in the sand? Do you have a goby that could be irritating it by putting some sand on the bottom edges?

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont target feed. I feed my fish well and whatever blows around the corals and cuc get.

Not sure on nitrate and phosphate...never tested them honestly. I know...probably should. They are definitely not 0 but I don't think they are rediculous either as I have next to no algae. Just small bits here and there.

I can try target feeding if I can get the polyps out.

No gobbles or anything and the base is usually pretty clean. A but if sand now and then from stuff blowing around some. Always gets blown off though when I feed.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test your Nitrate and Phosphate just to rule it out.

Doing the iodine dip would be recommended by me just in case it is anything bacterial.

Back