Favia not growing?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what else to do with this little guy other then putting him at the top of the tank. I've moved it around but it doesn't seem to be growing like all my other corals. I've had it maybe for about a month and a half and it just alittle fatter but I don't notice any spreading
3b908c9093f3086677e98222d97534e1.jpg
624ba9f597b6e727b1c10799ed5b7cf8.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's a feed monger, that lighting is sufficient more light wont do it.

100% for sure, if you spot feed him three times a week in a/m when polyps are out and sustain that 4 mos/extra polyps come about. my personal ideal feed for my same coral is roti feast and roe eggs from reef nutrition, mixed together. its one of many avail feeds, but it happens to be a set of feeds that grows my coral really well without making excess nutrients in the tank. they're my go-to's now.

Mysis and other things work, but you need to grind them up so the particles are easier taken in, these smaller corals tend to regurg most of the whole shrimp they take in an hour later. the roti feast/eggs are already tiny and they are retained well

you have options such as occasionally placing a tiny inverted plastic cup over that frag as it sits on the sand, and injecting a day's worth of refrigerated feed you'd normally put into that tank all into the cup for the corals 1st picking

then release the cup an hour later, tank is fed like normal with nothing extra added but he got all first take

little tricks that way w work
B

even if you don't feed him I can tell by the details in that tank pic he'll grow just fine over time only much slower, which is ideal in some scenarios like small tanks w no room. your system feeds him well, but spot feeding/cups etc is turbo

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it alone. Sometimes it takes awhile for these things to settle in. Once this happens you should see some growth. Not rapid growth, much like an sps coral can do, but growth nonetheless. Patience. GL.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into buying that.

right now I spot feed everything with reef roids and a special mixture of food I made. I usually feed everyone at 9AM. Should I switch to feed at night instead? When I get home from at 11pm I feed the tank 15ML of Algae Barn Ocean Magik...

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into buying that.

right now I spot feed everything with reef roids and a special mixture of food I made. I usually feed everyone at 9AM. Should I switch to feed at night instead? When I get home from at 11pm I feed the tank 15ML of Algae Barn Ocean Magik...

Following.... Favias have been a mystery to me.

The couple favias I've had for about a year refuse to grow. Color is fantastic but no sign of feeding behavior and don't seem to respond to manual feeding with reefroids. Moved them off the bottom to a rock a little closer to the light and increased the light outputfew weeks ago.

Keep my Alk ~7.8 and Cal 425. About a month ago started NOPO4x so testing 0 NO3 and feeding nightly with RedSea AB as well as twice a week feedings with roids.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.... Favias have been a mystery to me.

The couple favias I've had for about a year refuse to grow. Color is fantastic but no sign of feeding behavior and don't seem to respond to manual feeding with reefroids. Moved them off the bottom to a rock a little closer to the light and increased the light outputfew weeks ago.

Keep my Alk ~7.8 and Cal 425. About a month ago started NOPO4x so testing 0 NO3 and feeding nightly with RedSea AB as well as twice a week feedings with roids.

Mine react to feeding behavior. I see those tenticales come out. If anything mine are much more fat.

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn’t appear to have feeding tentacles at all. If I put good right on the polyp it opens it mouths and somehow sucks it in, no other outward sign of feeding behavior.
975d7efd24ff536f835d209a49137237.jpg

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favor's been a slow grower but as long as it's eating and not showing any signs of stress I've left it alone. Oddly enough, once I stopped watching and worrying about it it surprised me with what looked like dark spots on the polyps. I thought it was finally getting ready to croak. The spots turned into a line and now I realize that what it was doing was splitting like trumpets and candy canes do. just hang in there, leave it in a low to moderate light and it'll do it's thing. The first pic is when I first got it. The following ones are the slow progression of the split. It's been over a month since it started.
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Mine always eats I try and feed it nysis but my dang cleaner shrimp takes it right out of the little feeding tenticales:(

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef Chile and mysis. Mix it up thick enough to target feed. I feed the shrimp first and then I cover the favia in the mix. He can pick until the sun comes down but the favia will suck up the reef Chile in its mucous and be fine. Just be patient and stop moving it all over the place. My favia sits under an over hang with half of it exposed to the light and the other half shaded.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef Chile and mysis. Mix it up thick enough to target feed. I feed the shrimp first and then I cover the favia in the mix. He can pick until the sun comes down but the favia will suck up the reef Chile in its mucous and be fine. Just be patient and stop moving it all over the place. My favia sits under an over hang with half of it exposed to the light and the other half shaded.
This is where it resides.havent moved it in about 2 months. You can see the feeding tenticales :)
4e8d121b2210e8a4a44f5eef2bf1027a.jpg

Edit picture was taken early this morning, light we're on for maybe less then an hour

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks happy. They’re just slow growing. This is one of those corals that you want to buy as a large colony from the get go if you want it to be a show piece.
I'm actually opposed to buying large mother colonys I much rather buy small frags and grow them myself

GILLty Guppy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my PPE favia a month and a half ago. Started at the bottom of a 55 gal. After 3 weeks it wasn't puffung up..looking meaty so I moved it a bit higher in the tank, been almost another 3 weeks and no change.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favor's been a slow grower but as long as it's eating and not showing any signs of stress I've left it alone. Oddly enough, once I stopped watching and worrying about it it surprised me with what looked like dark spots on the polyps. I thought it was finally getting ready to croak. The spots turned into a line and now I realize that what it was doing was splitting like trumpets and candy canes do. just hang in there, leave it in a low to moderate light and it'll do it's thing. The first pic is when I first got it. The following ones are the slow progression of the split. It's been over a month since it started.
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
Wow, talk about a blast from the past of posts! This is the same favia now
D295346A-0DEE-4542-B2DF-1DF6596D5BD6.jpeg
9F3C7AC2-7909-4000-A9A4-5DD6FC13DF7C.jpeg

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine react to feeding behavior. I see those tenticales come out. If anything mine are much more fat.
My favia has four heads and used to display feeding behavior almost every night. Now, the tentacles never come out and I can barely illicit a feeding response from it. Any advice? I am wondering if a new coral addition to the tank is disturbing it, as my parameters haven’t changed. The only other thing I can think of is that nutrients are too low.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favia has four heads and used to display feeding behavior almost every night. Now, the tentacles never come out and I can barely illicit a feeding response from it. Any advice? I am wondering if a new coral addition to the tank is disturbing it, as my parameters haven’t changed. The only other thing I can think of is that nutrients are too low.
Where do you have it placed in the tank? Is it losing color or bleached? You can try target feeding. You might or might not see the tentacles in feeding response but you will be able to notice if it is drawing the food into itself. I keep my favia and favites out of direct light, shaded but not in the dark. They are also iffy about flow. They like flow but not direct flow.
496336AB-A6D5-449E-9DCB-3EC8D5FA0FE7.jpeg
69C12A50-26C2-42C5-8297-8BFC6868E94A.jpeg

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you have it placed in the tank? Is it losing color or bleached? You can try target feeding. You might or might not see the tentacles in feeding response but you will be able to notice if it is drawing the food into itself. I keep my favia and favites out of direct light, shaded but not in the dark. They are also iffy about flow. They like flow but not direct flow.
496336AB-A6D5-449E-9DCB-3EC8D5FA0FE7.jpeg
69C12A50-26C2-42C5-8297-8BFC6868E94A.jpeg
I have it on the sand bed underneath 7000k leds that I use to grow caulerpa prolifera. I don’t think it is losing color but it is definitely not as vivid as your specimens. When I used to target feed, I found that it would open immediately and I could clearly see it feeding. It used to be very puffy then, too. Now, it seems stretched thin over its skeleton.

zaq11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what else to do with this little guy other then putting him at the top of the tank. I've moved it around but it doesn't seem to be growing like all my other corals. I've had it maybe for about a month and a half and it just alittle fatter but I don't notice any spreading
3b908c9093f3086677e98222d97534e1.jpg
624ba9f597b6e727b1c10799ed5b7cf8.jpg
watch it at night when no light there , then direct feed with Mysis shrimp , if it did not open at night , try to dip it in dip solution like revive or coral RX

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has begun to extend tentacles after lights out and I am attempting to feed it once at night and once in the morning before lights turn on again. I have seen explosive growth and now count upwards of 11 heads, where there were only 4 previously.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back