Favia problem....

Transparent24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am hoping to get some help on these favia coral frags I bought a year ago. I am just trying to learn more and really understand what is most likely causing my problem.

I have a Christmas favia and a dragon soul favia. When I bought them they had great coloration and shape.

Over the year they have slowly lost their color, shape, form, and defining lines between their colors. The contrasting colors are blending and really turning ugly. They have grown a few more heads but no size difference, it’s like the heads are fused together..lol.

I have a fluval evo 13.5 and using the stock light. Parameters have always been stable and every other coral I have does well (hammers, zoas, monti, Acan, etc)
I feed reef roids twice a week.

See pics for example

temp 76-79
salinity - 1.024
PH-8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate under 20
Calcium over 420
BDD45A3B-C747-4373-A1E9-187F064A9E08.jpeg
79E9EC36-B29A-4CEC-899A-A84C2731E67B.png

Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lighting upgrade is probably your most likely solution...most fluval evo owners seem to go that route as the stock lighting just doesn't cut it

Sadly though you just end up with a frankenstein's monster setup that looses the original sleek design but your corals will look and do a lot better

OP
OP
T

Transparent24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lighting upgrade is probably your most likely solution...most fluval evo owners seem to go that route as the stock lighting just doesn't cut it

Sadly though you just end up with a frankenstein's monster setup that looses the original sleek design but your corals will look and do a lot better

Thanks, I plan on upgrading to AI prime soon. I hope that’ll fix the problem. I wonder if there are any other factors that I am missing.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Prime is a great light, i think you may well find things start looking up when you get one, a reefer local to me is upgrading his fluval right now to the AI prime

I am pleased with the results the AI prime gives me on my 14 gallon

IMG_20200427_215651.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back