Favorite clownfish for large tank?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adore me some nemos. But having a large tank comes with challenges. My favorite clown appearance wise are the perculas and ocellaris (the standard “nemos”).

But here’s the “issue” with those: their personality SUCKS!!!

Hear me out; I’ve tried them for many years. They all like to sit in the top corner of the overflow. They don’t actively swim. And the worst part: They don’t get hosted by the bubble tip anemones. Epic fail.

I’m stuck between a pair of clarkiis, tomatoes, or lightning maroon clownfish. Aggression is not an issue for me.

It’s just that none of these clowns look the way the perculas do.

This is one of those things where looks vs personality come into play.

I will post pictures of the clowns ;Clown I’m referring to.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my percs and occys have been hosted by a BTA. Some move in in a few weeks, others a few months. Right now my perc pair travels between two BTA's. They spawn on the rock beside the BTA :)

When I didn't have a BTA, they lived in a hammer coral.

How much time did you give them? I am certain you can find many examples of them hosting more than a wall (I know it happens sometimes).

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my percs and occys have been hosted by a BTA. Some move in in a few weeks, others a few months. Right now my perc pair travels between two BTA's. They spawn on the rock beside the BTA :)

When I didn't have a BTA, they lived in a hammer coral.

How much time did you give them? I am certain you can find many examples of them hosting more than a wall (I know it happens sometimes).
I’m tempted to try them again. Man I love those fish. They were one of my favorites. One of them even gives me the jitters.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So freaking expensive for a clownfish, but I literally get happy thoughts when I see this fish. It reminds me when I just got into reefs for the first time.
ED66D9E9-58CF-4C77-BA96-602A75D3437C.png

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I’d recommend being patient with it. If you want to go crazy with it you can even put them in an acclimation box with the anemone

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tempted to try them again. Man I love those fish. They were one of my favorites. One of them even gives me the jitters.

I often see people selling their clowns with the BTA on facebook during tank teardowns. Maybe you can just buy a pair you actually want that already has a host.

When I re-paired my female, she showed the new male how it was done.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see people selling their clowns with the BTA on facebook during tank teardowns. Maybe you can just buy a pair you actually want that already has a host.

When I re-paired my female, she showed the new male how it was done.
Are you talking about Facebook marketplace? What do you search for live fish to come up because I know Facebook doesn’t allow selling live animals.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So freaking expensive for a clownfish, but I literally get happy thoughts when I see this fish. It reminds me when I just got into reefs for the first time.
ED66D9E9-58CF-4C77-BA96-602A75D3437C.png

This is what I have. Not from ORA though. I like Booyah clown's (mine are booyah blackhawk picassos) and probably choose sustainable aquatics second, they have WYSIWYG pairs on their website so you have to just keep checking back until they have what you want. Getting specific clowns can sometimes be a pain though since most places do wholesale. Sometimes I see them at frag swaps direct from the breeders.

These are my pair from Booyah's.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about Facebook marketplace? What do you search for live fish to come up because I know Facebook doesn’t allow selling live animals.

Not marketplace. People sell fish on the local facebook reef clubs all the time. They just don't say they are selling them. They just put "PM"

Picassos seem to have fallen out of favor so finding a premium WYSIWYG pair can be a pain. Storms are everywhere instead.

Last edited:

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a mated tomato clown pair for about 2 years then i decided i wanted different clowns so in january i caught them and got a maroon clown and bicinctus clown i dont think they are a pair but the maroon stopped growing and the bicinctus has grown really fast
E9B17E43-3906-47CF-89AC-FE2AEA5C22C4.jpeg

LDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotcinctus are rad. I have a pair in my 420 gallon and they swim around a ton. They get big tho.

Attachments

• 73C0A253-B366-4831-8F47-BF9E20A670F8.jpeg
    73C0A253-B366-4831-8F47-BF9E20A670F8.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 44

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotcinctus are rad. I have a pair in my 420 gallon and they swim around a ton. They get big tho.
that fish is gorgeous def adding pair to next build

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with a lightning maroon..always been a cool looking fish with a ton of personality (and sometimes aggression unfortunately)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back