Favorite Special inverts?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of my favorites, a small basket star, a 3 inch red feather star, a lettuce nudibranch and last but not least a sea hare. They r all super cool n keep my attention for a good while every day. Have to use a magnifying glass for the basket but very interesting little guy

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of my favorites, a small basket star, a 3 inch red feather star, a lettuce nudibranch and last but not least a sea hare. They r all super cool n keep my attention for a good while every day. Have to use a magnifying glass for the basket but very interesting little guy
how big of a tank do you need for the crinoid and the basket and what do you feed them. also how much do the nudibranchs eat. i was considering getting elysia or sea hares to boost my cuc

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be mantis shrimp but I’m currently on an octo kick so mantises are a close second right now

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big of a tank do you need for the crinoid and the basket and what do you feed them. also how much do the nudibranchs eat. i was considering getting elysia or sea hares to boost my cuc
OK let me try to get all the correct answers and warnings too. First know that sea hares and I think some nudibranch r toxic if scared or killed . my tank is only a 57 gal display w a 13 gal sump total 70 gal . basket stars at the age I have is maybe 1/8 in dia body w 8 legs size of thread but super cool n don't know how big I can get him. Feather stars r 3 to 6 in total. They r filter feeders and I feed high quality phyto w zoo algae specific as well as other filter food I mix. They don't eat enough to count, they just jump n when I feed 2 x a day. They have a very high mortality rate and live only a short time I'm told so my goal is to care for them as long as possible and enjoy the experience. As far as nudis and amounts of food they eat my experience is with bergia nudis that cool as they may b only eat apastia and when no more r there they die. The other is the frilly and super cool lettuce nudis and they r algae eaters. If no algae is there they can b fed sea lettuce. Just realize before hand manybof these delicate creatures should not b kept. At least don't expect them to live for long. I've just gotten lucky w the basket as a rock hitchhiker that is actually maintaining itself. We will see if I can even acclimate a feather star. May very well b a expensive short exp. Hope not but there it is. Fortunately only a bill for this round. Wife is actually thankful. Lol hope I got them all right

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your favorite inverts? Talking not CUC. Like one of mine is Halloween Hermit. Think they are so cool.

Thinking of setting up a nano tank that is mainly special inverts. No fish. So getting ideas!
Lettuce slug (Crispata), Pom Pom, Feather duster, maybe a banded coral shrimp but they can be territorial, Astrea snail, electric blue hermit

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An invert tank? Why not combine that with a live rock and live sand hitchhiker tank (I love hitchhikers, especially those on Florida live rock and ocean live sand).

Anyways, I enjoy sand dollars… which barely anyone (myself included) owns.
Back with more!
I love watching live Mysis shrimp dart around under my rockwork and macroalgae! They can be purchased alive online, but mine hitchhiked on live rock.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuces (not true nudis) eat quite a bit of algae, ive heard they can be supplemented with anything as long as the chloroplasts (green stuff that makes energy for the plant) in it are still good (maybe even dried stuff, but maybe not) They get some of their energy from stealing chloroplasts too. Additionally, they are sensitive to hight flow cause they cant stick down super well, and are liable to get sucked into power-heads. Additionally, there are a few species in the hobby, some more pickey than others. If you have lots of algae, or are willing to sub, and can screen off your powerhead, they are pretty easy, and really cool and fun to watch.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back