Feather duster

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help I just saw this in my tank at never seen this before. I need to know if this is normal with feather dusters. This little guy came out of his tube and will not go back in.

20210507_192001.jpg 20210507_191956.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occassionally. Sometimes, they just want to move and make a new tube.
Just FYU - sometimes they also send little cloudy puffs into the water. That is normal, too.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occassionally. Sometimes, they just want to move and make a new tube.
Just FYU - sometimes they also send little cloudy puffs into the water. That is normal, too.
So I'm good here with this little guy? I was feeding everyone and I saw this happen. Got so lost of what happened here

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are good. He or she will make a new translucent tube when it finds it's new happy place and it will cover that with sand and detritus over the next day. Most likely, it wanted a location with different flow. As long as nothing picks on it, you're fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive had at least two feather dusters abandon their tube to find several weeks later a new head emerge as they pushed the other one out. Do note though that feather dusters release their plume if they're growing, malnourished or being harassed. If rejected from tube, do not attempt to reinsert it as it will stress the worm further.
On other occasion, they move out the tube to a better position in a stronger current. The worm can then build a new transparent tube in a matter of hours, and it will coat the tube with sand and detritus over a matter of a few days.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had at least two feather dusters abandon their tube to find several weeks later a new head emerge as they pushed the other one out. Do note though that feather dusters release their plume if they're growing, malnourished or being harassed. If rejected from tube, do not attempt to reinsert it as it will stress the worm further.
On other occasion, they move out the tube to a better position in a stronger current. The worm can then build a new transparent tube in a matter of hours, and it will coat the tube with sand and detritus over a matter of a few days.
Thank you

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back