Fed Ex screw up seller / buyer resposibility

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use to get fish deliever to my doorsteps by fedex from a online store. the box was mark "live fish", they were always in great condition. thats been about a year ago, so maybe they use boxes as dodgeballs now. haven't notice any post about ups messing up.....yet!!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky and haven't had FedEx mess up yet. However, the only people that I get stuff from by FedEx is LA DD. I've had fish arrive dead, but the box is always in perfect condition.

I've had good luck with UPS as well...but again, its come from reputable dealers like PIA.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough situation whenever a shipping carrier drops the ball. I do have to chuckle though at how we all complain about the carrier. Every carrier, be it UPS, USPS, or Fed-Ex, all have strict rules against shipping live corals. By shipping with these companies, we are in fact breaking the rules, so I find it humerous when people complain about the carriers (not targeting anyone here), just pointing out the double standard. We ship illegally, but we're upset when they don't handle our package right LOL. Regardless, I have to agree with most the others; if the shipper dropped the ball, its their fault, but it is on you, the seller, to make it right. That is one of the risks you agree to take as a seller. Part of why I seldom, if ever, offer frags for sale over the internet.

I don't at all want to be confrontational, but this simply isn't true.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't say they are permitted, but they aren't on the Prohibited list. However, it does say that if its not on the list, its not allowed:

Accepted Live Animals

This is a comprehensive list of live animals accepted for transportation. Shippers are prohibited from shipping any animal not listed here, and all other live animals will not be accepted for transportation. The following live animals are accepted for transportation unless poisonous, venomous, and/or a Threatened or Endangered Species.

Amphibians (All): Examples: frogs, salamanders, toads
Crustaceans (All): Examples: crabs, crawfish, lobsters, shrimp
Fish (All)
Insects (Limited to beneficial insects only): Examples: bees, butterflies, crickets, lady bugs
Mollusks (All): Examples: clams, mussels, snails
Reptiles (Limited to the following):
- Lizards: Examples: chameleons, geckos, iguanas, monitors, flying dragons
- Turtles: freshwater turtles (except: snapping turtles), land tortoises, sea turtles
Worms (All)

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Animals and Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish)
FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Live Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).
  2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.
Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, same idea as me. :)

Seems that its still kind of up to the individual person accepting the shipment to say whether or not its permitted.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it just seems that people make blanket statements about things sometimes that aren't founded.

And, it takes 15 seconds to investigate.

And, if we care about the critters we are transporting, can't we at least give them 15 seconds in order to move them around with some knowledge and sense of responsibility?

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Something sounds odd here. This turns out to be a large, confusing conundrum. Admittedly, I am getting lost reading this thread.

A few weeks ago I was to accept a package from SexyCorals. Unfortunately, the package was delayed for a day. (FedEx, of course.) Critter arrived, dead of course.

I never even contacted Mike at SC about it. How is it is his responsibility that FedEx screwed up??????????????????????????

It seems to be what opinions in this thread are addressing/pointing towards. Am I off base?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a question of who's responsibility it is since the shipper won't cover the loss. The shipper doesn't want to take the fault, as it really wasn't their fault. However, the receiver doesn't want to take fault since they simply paid for an item and it never arrived alive.

I think FedEx/UPS should at least refund shipping charges if it doesn't get there on time, and if insured for the proper amount, they should pay for the corals if they died because of a delayed shipment.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[FONT=Impact, Charcoal, sans-serif]Copy and Paste from SC site:[/FONT]

[FONT=Impact, Charcoal, sans-serif]LIVESTOCK GUARANTEE POLICY

[/FONT]
We guarantee our corals will be professionally packed and the coral will be alive upon arrival.
DOA means Dead On Arrival and not DEAD in your tank after 5 hours or the next day. DOA also does not mean dead because delivery was delayed due to your cities weather condition. If you think the coral is dead upon arrival email us immediately, follow that with a clear picture of the dead coral within the first 2 hours of recieving it. We will then issue you a store credit for the full amount of the dead coral minus shipping. We are not responsible for shipping company delays. This is a risk that is part of the hobby. It is out of our hand when we hand it over to Fedex/Ups.

Please contact us by phone (626) 813-9445 or by email [email protected] as soon as possible so we can advise you on what to do with the coral.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a solid policy thats sometimes hard to swallow for somebody receiving expensive, dead coral, but it is indeed taking a risk when shipping delicate goods.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do apologize, but I am coming unglued here.

PEOPLE ARE SO TIED UP IN THE DOLLAR BILL THAT THEY SIMPLY LOSE ALL SENSE OF INTEGRITY, MORAL FORTITUDE, OR RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DB blanks out every curse word I ever write. If he had to go through what I wish I could say right now, HE WOULD BAN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THINK.....LOTS OF PROFANITY.

Good God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People, DO WHAT IS RIGHT. It is so very simple.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a solid policy thats sometimes hard to swallow for somebody receiving expensive, dead coral, but it is indeed taking a risk when shipping delicate goods.

This is absolutely true.

As with my case...WHY SHOULD I EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING TO HOLD SOMEONE ELSE RESPONSIBLE FOR SOMETHING THAT ISN'T ON THEM? FOR A COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS, I WOULD SELL MY INTEGRITY??????????????????????

NO (edited before DB could even get to it) WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Augh. Sorry guys. Just venting.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One final statement.

As a seller...if you give a crap about tomorrow. THINK LIVEAQUARIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a site sponsor, but, THE exemplar...BAR-NONE.

What LiveAquaria's fine print reads (I am kidding, but it might as well say this)....................."If something goes wrong, we will fix it. If we kill it, we'll fix it. If FedEx kills it, we'll fix it. If YOU KILLED IT, we'll still fix it. PERIOD."

And guess how they got to be LiveAquaria. Is it costing them money? No, sir, it is not.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few (or perhaps no) sellers operate on the scale of liveaquaria in terms of finances and livestock. That's like expecting every store to have the same return policy as Costco.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few (or perhaps no) sellers operate on the scale of liveaquaria in terms of finances and livestock. That's like expecting every store to have the same return policy as Costco.

And this somehow changes the underlying ethical principle? No, it doesn't.

If I die not having fought for the couple hundred bucks I lost recently, I'll die a happier man.
If I die having gone out of my way to make mankind happier, I'll die a happier man.

Money is just that. Integrity, peace of mind, and happiness can not be priced in terms of a dollar bill.

In this hobby, if you can't afford to lose it, don't buy it. If you can't afford to lose it, don't sell it.

If this is meaningless, or should be misinterpreted based on monetary values, so be it. I'll die a happier man for having lived it.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that even one individual somehwere might see that good exists, I hereby request a total monetary value from the seller, and a Paypal account.

I will personally cover the cost of the mess that is taking place here.

You don't even know my name. I'm not here for the glory.

And no, my request is not a joke. Not in the slightest.

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why the buyer had to get lip or hear anything other than sorry and your refund is in transit. he was ready on the day it should have been there that it wasn't there till the 2nd day is out of his control and like the other post said he has to work and to make adjustments to his schedule 2 times is enough..glad he is getting a refund but should get an apology also..

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why the buyer had to get lip or hear anything other than sorry and your refund is in transit. he was ready on the day it should have been there that it wasn't there till the 2nd day is out of his control and like the other post said he has to work and to make adjustments to his schedule 2 times is enough..glad he is getting a refund but should get an apology also..

I don't either, my friend. I don't either.

There is no portion of this situation that makes sense to me. Not one single part of it. I suspect that no amount of analysis is going to make any of this any clearer.

I have contacted the seller, and have every intention of covering the monetary considerations here.

Once the cash consideration is off the table, maybe everyone can step back and reflect on what is really important.

-----
I'm out. Pretend I was never here.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back