FedEx is Ridiculous

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many of you have horror stories about FedEx lack of prompt delivery of reef creatures and such, but I just have to tell todays story.

My company is running a critical experiment at a contract lab. Overall the experiment is costing mega dollars and weeks of work. One lab was sending frozen blood plasma samples to a different lab for a very specialized chemical analysis. The chemical can degrade so the box is filled with dry ice to ensure it stays frozen.

Today I get word from the receiving lab that FedEx says there is a delivery delay. Oh crap, that’s really not good.

I look up the tracking, and it says that the package is actually at the local FedEx location for delivery, but delayed 24 h and will be delivered “by 4:30 pm tomorrow”. Definitely a serious risk the dry ice is gone due to an extra 24 h delay.

Since I’m not either the shipper or the receiver, my standing to get FedEx to do something is minimal, but I tried.

I called FedEx and asked for customer service at least eight times to a computer that kept saying no agent had more info on the matter, then I got through to a human.

I explained the urgency and she seemed to suggest that the package could be delivered at 8 am tomorrow if someone would be there. Good. Not perfect, but better than 4:30 pm. I alerted the receiving lab to be ready.

Got a call back a couple of hours later from a different FedEx person . Here’s where it got luny…

“so, I hear you want this package delivered at 8 am”

“well, I didn’t ask for 8 am, just that it not wait until 4:30 since it is a critical medical sample that might be ruined by waiting”

Gave her the tracking number (how did she not already have it when calling?).

“It’s actually on the truck for evening delivery now” she says. Apparently there was a partial tracking update, saying delivery was still by 4:30 pm tomorrow (about 26 hours away) but that it was also out on a truck for delivery…

“Not good, the business will be closed” I say

“Well maybe it will get there before it closes” she says

“If it doesn’t, can I be sure it gets delivered in the am and not 4:30 pm tomorrow?”
I ask

“No, you didn’t pay for morning delivery”

(omg, this is nuts)

“But I paid for delivery the day before, and you didn’t meet that time, so doesn’t it seem like you should try to fix your not meeting your obligation by delivering as soon as you can?” I ask

“no. We have other customers who paid for morning delivery” she says

ok, so i realize neither logic nor good customer service are going to solve this mess.

“Can I pay more with a credit card right now to ensure it gets morning delivery?” I ask

The conversation got confusing here. Not being the shipper, or receiver, I didn’t know if this would work, but she never answered. She just said let’s first see if it gets delivered today.

In my mind it would risk being told tomorrow that it was too late to change it if we waited, and even an extra $100 is easy money to give greater odds of a successful experiment.

But that’s all she would do.

So i watched the tracking, and watched, and watched. Finally it changed to delivered at about 4:30, which is on time.

I hope it was delivered to the right place because the receiving lab later wrote to me saying that yes, they would be there at 8 am in case it arrived in the am. No word that anything did arrive.

I think I’m going to ask the shipping lab to send all samples for morning delivery so that any delayed shipments will deliver in the morning, regardless of how many days late it is. lol

Now I have to wait to find out what happened to it at 4:30. I hope it got checked in and put in a -80 freezer. My fear is it is sitting on some random loading dock on a hot night in the Midwest.

Happy Reefing! lol

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to internal affairs where customer service doesn't seem to matter.
I blame it on a company as a whole not treating employees correctly. If Amazon can figure it out and supply the actual demand for workforce than so should other company's.
This is my loon at it. Sorry
D

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many of you have horror stories about FedEx lack of prompt delivery of reef creatures and such, but I just have to tell todays story.

My company is running a critical experiment at a contract lab. Overall the experiment is costing mega dollars and weeks of work. One lab was sending frozen blood plasma samples to a different lab for a very specialized chemical analysis. The chemical can degrade so the box is filled with dry ice to ensure it stays frozen.

Today I get word from the receiving lab that FedEx says there is a delivery delay. Oh crap, that’s really not good.

I look up the tracking, and it says that the package is actually at the local FedEx location for delivery, but delayed 24 h and will be delivered “by 4:30 pm tomorrow”. Definitely a serious risk the dry ice is gone due to an extra 24 h delay.

Since I’m not either the shipper or the receiver, my standing to get FedEx to do something is minimal, but I tried.

I called FedEx and asked for customer service at least eight times to a computer that kept saying no agent had more info on the matter, then I got through to a human.

I explained the urgency and she seemed to suggest that the package could be delivered at 8 am tomorrow if someone would be there. Good. Not perfect, but better than 4:30 pm. I alerted the receiving lab to be ready.

Got a call back a couple of hours later from a different FedEx person . Here’s where it got luny…

“well, I didn’t ask for 8 am, just that it not wait until 4:30 since it is a critical medical sample that might be ruined by waiting”

“It’s actually on the truck for evening delivery now” she says. Apparently there was a partial tracking update, saying delivery was still by 4:30 pm tomorrow (about 26 hours away) but that it was also out on a truck for delivery…

“If it doesn’t, can I be sure it gets delivered in the am and not 4:30 pm tomorrow?”
I ask

(omg, this is nuts)

“But I paid for delivery the day before, and you didn’t meet that time, so doesn’t it seem like you should try to fix your not meeting your obligation by delivering as soon as you can?” I ask

ok, so i realize neither logic nor good customer service are going to solve this mess.

“Can I pay more with a credit card right now to ensure it gets morning delivery?” I ask

The conversation got confusing here. Not being the shipper, or receiver, I didn’t know if this would work, but she never answered. She just said let’s first see if it gets delivered today.

In my mind it would risk being told tomorrow that it was too late to change it if we waited, and even an extra $100 is easy money to give greater odds of a successful experiment.

So i watched the tracking, and watched, and watched. Finally it changed to delivered at about 4:30, which is on time.

I hope it was delivered to the right place because the receiving lab later wrote to me saying that yes, they would be there at 8 am in case it arrived in the am. No word that anything did arrive.

I think I’m going to ask the shipping lab to send all samples for morning delivery so that any delayed shipments will deliver in the morning, regardless of how many days late it is. lol

Now I have to wait to find out what happened to it at 4:30. I hope it got checked in and put in a -80 freezer. My fear is it is sitting on some random loading dock on a hot night in the Midwest.

Happy Reefing! lol

Yah, I feel your pain. We got a parcel from FedEx delivered that had one end of the box open and was empty.

It was overnight from Dallas to San Antonio and contained 14 automobile titles with bank drafts to be paid.

Its a lot of work and more importantly time and money to file for and get 14 lost titles. But its done.

The lost content was never found or showed up. We didn't bother filing for the 50 dollars it was insured for LOL!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why illumina packages a sequencing kit that's the size of a shoe box with 40 lbs of dry ice.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update:

Receiver alerted me the package was delivered “very late”, and was found this morning.

Fortunately it still had dry ice. :)

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping companies are evil...

Evil because they don't have AC? OK what about construction and landscapers?

IMO FedEx is the worst company to work for. They don't pay there employees very well. UPS drivers on the other hand make a killing. Probably more money than most people they are delivering to.

I wont have any livestock shipped through Fedex because there hubs are chaotic. Like the one in Memphis.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO FedEx is the worst company to work for. They don't pay there employees very well. UPS drivers on the other hand make a killing. Probably more money than most people they are delivering to.

I wont have any livestock shipped through Fedex because there hubs are chaotic. Like the one in Memphis.
Wow. I never would have expected that fedex and ups have a significant difference in pay. That must really screw things up from day 1 at FedEx.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another job also being crappy doesn’t make it okay. That is just complacency in life with “the way things are”….never moving forward to make it better.

Google states average pay is 21 hr for UPS and 18 hr for FedEx.

I don’t see that as making a “killing” but perhaps we have different terms of what that is.

Also I think it is ridiculous they could not upgrade the shipping to AM delivery for free since they missed the window. Idk if it is a problem with that person not understanding or caring…or the system… like maybe they doesn’t even have the power to do so?

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ask

(omg, this is nuts)

Happy Reefing! lol
Even if you were the shipper or receiver, it wouldn't make any difference to the customer service level.

Been there.

JSmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in internal logistics at one of the largest flavor and fragrance companies in the world and we ship hundreds of tons of material each day. We used to use FedEx up until a few years ago when they could no longer meet our demands and stopped sending the number of trucks we needed each day. We switched Old Dominion and i must say we've had a much easier time. I'll never use FedEx to ship anymore.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way your operations manager can get you setup with World Courier?

I haven't used them in a few years but when I did it, it was for a similar use case and after similar challenges with FedEx.

We were shipping assay kits, blood controls and analytical cartridges that would routinely get stuck in customs.

World courier would literally keep track of how long a dry ice shipment had been in transit and send someone to top it off if a delay happened that they couldn't overcome.

Might be different now, or for domestic but I would look into them. Worth the extra cost if they are still as good as they were.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downright maddening. Sorry to hear that Randy.

A big part of how I pick my go to online retailers these days is weather or not they ship with FedEx. I rarely have any issues with UPS or USPS but FedEx is almost consistently late or deliver boxes that look like it’s someone’s job to stomp on every package that enters their facility.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fed Ex has become terrible over the last two year. They are dependably late, missing, or missed delivered. They are showing signs of being secretly owned by the federal government. That’s the only group I know they can screw things up so well. Just got on Medicare, so I know.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping has gotten so bad lately. I stopped ordering livestock online . I have a bunch of requests for my seahorses from people out of my area wanting me to ship. It’s too risky for me. It’s not just fedx it’s also ups

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back