FedEx lost my Giesemann

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'm in the right thread, so please correct me and forgive me.

I'm about to lose my mind with FedEx. I managed to get my hands on a Giesemann spectra 48inch around July 20th from a Gent in Georgia. I paid for shipping, I thought I paid for insurance, but because I was having problems updating my credit card and address on their file, as the system wouldn't take and save my info - it looks like I forgot to redo the insurance portion (declared value). So now I'm sitting on my hands waiting for them to possibly find this LARGE package that somehow cleared customs, but is now nowhere to be found up to this point. How the heck do you lose a box almost 5 feet long that made it all the way to Canada, and then disappear into thin air? Does anyone have any idea if I have any recourse, whether through small claims (I'm assuming they're going to deny my claim, due to being overly excited and missing a point in the detail? The other thing (and I hate to be negative) is, the box had the originals labeling all over it, as it was the original box! Wondering if someone who worked there knew the value/significance of this item...Not at all impressed right now...

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The first thing I always say is take a breath. When was it supposed to arrive. When did you file a claim. Right now you are not sure what the response will be. Also have you check with your card company to see if they will help if it does turn up gone and fed ex will not help. Give the process some time to work. It will save you some stress. And we will keep fingers crossed it shows up

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a tracking number?
I tracked it like I was obsessed! These are a couple text updates, then they stopped.

FedEx: fedex.com/t/39492800****/en_CA has been released. Reply HELP for help. Reply STOP to cancel.

FedEx: fedex.com/t/39492800****/en_CA In transit. Estimated delivery to ABBOTSFORD, BC CA not available. Reply STOP to cancel.
I’ve been in touch with them up to today, and they still can’t find it. Said they did a walk through of the entire facility, and nothing. They’re trying to see if it actually left customs, and will update me. Though I’m the one always calling them!

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The first thing I always say is take a breath. When was it supposed to arrive. When did you file a claim. Right now you are not sure what the response will be. Also have you check with your card company to see if they will help if it does turn up gone and fed ex will not help. Give the process some time to work. It will save you some stress. And we will keep fingers crossed it shows up
I agree as I’m not typically a worrying type person, but boy was I looking forward to that fixture! I used PayPal to transfer funds to him, so we had a smooth worry free transaction. I don’t think PayPal has insurance for that, unless He failed to send it to me; and of course it wasn’t his fault.. but I’ll double check for any possibility. The gent I purchased from had it for 4 years, and only used it for the 1st of those years, so it was immaculate! And last, it’s not the money that I paid so much, even with our exchange rate and shipping, it was a decent deal. Replacing it might be the issue (cost wise) if I have to go as far as getting from Germany..lol
1597187350342.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ALL shippers have gone down the tubes Not to mention the Super HIGH prices we have to pay lately.

I sold two items in last two weeks and after ship was left with $4 and $7 respectively. I cant do this shipping bit any more.
Id like to know how BRS and marine Depot can ship item for free when it costs me $37 to ship same item????

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL shippers have gone down the tubes Not to mention the Super HIGH prices we have to pay lately.

I sold two items in last two weeks and after ship was left with $4 and $7 respectively. I cant do this shipping bit any more.
Id like to know how BRS and marine Depot can ship item for free when it costs me $37 to ship same item????
If I don’t get my fixture and I see that bill on my credit card; which cost me almost $300 for shipping, they’re in for a real surprise! Unfortunately, I think that you have to pass the cost of shipping on to the purchaser; and then that causes issues for their cost, unless it’s a situation like mine, where I was willing to fork out the cost for the item. I think businesses get some special discount depending on volume I’m guessing, but you’re right, there is a stark difference between the occasional shipper and high volume shippers. At least from what I can see.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I don’t get my fixture and I see that bill on my credit card; which cost me almost $300 for shipping, they’re in for a real surprise! Unfortunately, I think that you have to pass the cost of shipping on to the purchaser; and then that causes issues for their cost, unless it’s a situation like mine, where I was willing to fork out the cost for the item. I think businesses get some special discount depending on volume I’m guessing, but you’re right, there is a stark difference between the occasional shipper and high volume shippers. At least from what I can see.

I'd be losing my mind too. You have a tracking number, so that's awesome. Also awesome that it is fedex - definitely the better of the carriers. Not surprised with a delay of its going through customs. Those guys don't give a ****, and are probably just taking their sweet time. I bet it shows up. It's hard to lose something that big, and chances of someone knowing the value AND wanting to steal it AND able to get away with it has to be close to winning the lottery. No way someone nabbed it. Routing for you brother. Keep us posted.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a glassblower who uses mail as my main form to make money and a fellow reefer this is my worst fear.

In the states when we send glass up to Canada sometimes they'll flag it as drug paraphernalia even if it isn't then it's gone into the void. Im sure some of my famous peers have lost pieces of art when someone at customs or even local post office recognized the name.

I hope this is settled super fast for you

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be losing my mind too. You have a tracking number, so that's awesome. Also awesome that it is fedex - definitely the better of the carriers. Not surprised with a delay of its going through customs. Those guys don't give a ****, and are probably just taking their sweet time. I bet it shows up. It's hard to lose something that big, and chances of someone knowing the value AND wanting to steal it AND able to get away with it has to be close to winning the lottery. No way someone nabbed it. Routing for you brother. Keep us posted.
The funny thing is, (or is it irony now!) I’ve only had issues in the past with ups, and have never had issues with my fedex account. Granted, I’ve only shipped documents however. Your words echoed mine when I sad the same thing to their customer service about losing such a large package. So with that (your) logic, I’ll try and take a step back, and remain as rationale as possible, at least until the weekend;)

I’ll keep you good folks posted, and thanks for the progressive mindset.

RBZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with these guys all the time and here is my advise.
First start by going to FedEx.com and file a claim.
Since they have not delivered it and the tracking shows that, once you file a claim, they will find it.
It may take a couple days but they will find it because they don't want to pay the claim.
FedEx is notorious for this since the Covid 19 situation.
I've even had them deny a claim and the next day the package shows up, so it probably is a temporary thing.

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a glassblower who uses mail as my main form to make money and a fellow reefer this is my worst fear.

In the states when we send glass up to Canada sometimes they'll flag it as drug paraphernalia even if it isn't then it's gone into the void. Im sure some of my famous peers have lost pieces of art when someone at customs or even local post office recognized the name.

I hope this is settled super fast for you
Thank you!

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't believe this one!!!!
I texted the Gent I purchased the Giesemann from this morning to see if he had placed any bulbs in the box, to further my inquires with FedEx about its possibility of them thinking it was broken and then tossed in a pile...

ANYWAY here's what happened this morning!
ME****Hi again Matthew. Very sorry to bug you and didn’t want you involved. FedEx lost the Giesemann and for the last couple weeks, they’ve been trying to find it. I’ve not been too happy with them. I have a feeling that the label came off and they lost it, and have no idea what they’re looking for even after sending them pictures. I think they think they’re looking for just light bulbs. Anyway, I just want to find out if you had shipped the fixture with our without bulbs of any kind I order to have an idea if anything broke or shattered inside the box? Thanks in advance.

Dr W****You’re not going to believe this but it showed back up here yesterday with no FedEx label of any kind.

Dr W****I’m occupied most of today but I’ll try to unpack it and make sure it’s ok.

ME****Oh my gosh!!!

Dr W****I was so confused when I saw it

ME****Oh thank you!!!!!!!

ME****You would not believe this story

How does that happen and how did they know where and who to send it to...Talk about a nightmare - But it's over!!!! I think I should use Purolator this time...Hell If the border was open, I'd drive and pick it up myself:) I'm just very happy right now!!! I was not looking forward to ordering a new one from Germany at a cost of $2700...WOW-What a month!!!! Thanks again to those supportive folks here who said wished for the best;)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't believe this one!!!!
I texted the Gent I purchased the Giesemann from this morning to see if he had placed any bulbs in the box, to further my inquires with FedEx about its possibility of them thinking it was broken and then tossed in a pile...

ANYWAY here's what happened this morning!
ME****Hi again Matthew. Very sorry to bug you and didn’t want you involved. FedEx lost the Giesemann and for the last couple weeks, they’ve been trying to find it. I’ve not been too happy with them. I have a feeling that the label came off and they lost it, and have no idea what they’re looking for even after sending them pictures. I think they think they’re looking for just light bulbs. Anyway, I just want to find out if you had shipped the fixture with our without bulbs of any kind I order to have an idea if anything broke or shattered inside the box? Thanks in advance.

Dr W****You’re not going to believe this but it showed back up here yesterday with no FedEx label of any kind.

Dr W****I’m occupied most of today but I’ll try to unpack it and make sure it’s ok.

ME****Oh my gosh!!!

Dr W****I was so confused when I saw it

ME****Oh thank you!!!!!!!

ME****You would not believe this story

How does that happen and how did they know where and who to send it to...Talk about a nightmare - But it's over!!!! I think I should use Purolator this time...Hell If the border was open, I'd drive and pick it up myself:) I'm just very happy right now!!! I was not looking forward to ordering a new one from Germany at a cost of $2700...WOW-What a month!!!! Thanks again to those supportive folks here who said wished for the best;)

Side note, make sure there is some type of invoice for customs. Ordered a whack of pvc pipe unfortunately UPS is the only shipper they use. Got a message saying it went through customs, then later that day the tracking showed returned to sender. Called UPS and they said it turns out it was missing a commercial invoice so they shipped it back. No phone call or email to me to update the situation. Refused to stop it in transit even after I told them I had the info they needed. And refused to immediately refund the money they took for collecting the customs fees, had to wait 2 weeks. Now waiting for the company to attempt shipping it again.

These shipping companies are despicable, incompetent vultures and of all the companies going bankrupt lately, I seriously hope they are one of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back