Feed Pause / Programmable Logic / Automatic Feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hfx987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
here is my question for the PL masters in regards to feed pause...

Currently:

I have my feed pause 1 working from a timer 4, which turns my return pump off for 15 mins, and my skimmer off for 20 mins (through PL). A battery operated feeder was sorta synced to dump some food in during the feed pause 1 window.

Feed Pause
Filter Off Duration FP Timer Activates
1 15 4

Process Timer 4
Number Start
1 18:00
Switch mode Event Start

Switch Channels and outlets
S10 Filter 1 Return Pump
S11 PL 1 Skimmer

Programmable Logic
Gate Function Input 1 Input 2 Time
G1 Delayed on Filter 1 --- 1200s

This all worked fine until I knocked my cheap feeder in to the water, and - well, we know how that ended up.

I didn't like the idea that the feeder was battery operated, and was not controlled by the profilux.

So I bought a Super Feeder from http://super-feed.com/ (while we wait for the GHL one :p ).

Its triggered to run a feed cycle from just being powered on for a minute, then switched off. The amount of food that is dispensed is changed using a built in timer to control how long it actually runs for inside the minute that it is powered on.

All that is nice and easy.

Ill connect the feeder to Switch Channel 8
S8 Timer 6

Process Timer 6
Number Start End
1 6:05:00 PM 6:06:00 PM
Switch mode Normal

and that should all work just fine.

I want the actual food dispensed 5 minutes after the feed pause (pumps and skimmer off) so that the water has time to finish draining back down to the sump and not suck all the food down with it.

My question is (finally got there!) -

Can I incorporate the 5 minute delay before the feeder is activated in to the Feed Pause event - so return pump off for 15 minutes, skimmer off for 20 minutes, and food dispensed 5 minutes after the return pump and skimmer were turned off?

This way i can have the single timer set it all off, and even dispense the food when the feed pause 1 button is pressed.

My thinking is that then I wont have to remember to adjust two timers if i want to change my feeding time.

I had a look in the options under programmable logic to see if i could work it out (total novice at this side of things) - but i couldnt see a feed pause trigger to try and set a delay off from there.

Am I over complicating it? Should i just leave it with the two timers? Thanks for your help.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test this

Create a timer - I prefer to use switch mode short in this case - in my example its timer 30. Note - European time settings

191121 profilux.PNG

Create first one PL for the feeder. use the PL "delay on" I use PL 30 in this example. 180 sec = 5 minutes

191121 profilux 001.PNG

Create another PL (for the skimmers and return pump) In my example PL 31. 900 sec = 15 minutes

NOTE - the check mark for invert function of the timer

191121 profilux 002.PNG

You have to Chose two different sockets. In my case I use S30 , S31 and S32. S30 for the feeder. Programming of S30 - feeder

191121 profilux 003.PNG

Programming S31 - the skimmer pump shout off in my example. If you only have one Switch channel for both pumps - this will be the only needed. Note - use the PL with delay off - in my case PL31

191121 profilux 004.PNG

Do the same with S32 (my example) for the return pump if you use separate switches for both skimmer and return,

191121 profilux 005.PNG

If you use separate switches for skimmer and return pump - you can easily create a separate PL with delay switch off time for each device. if you want the skimmer to turn on earlier than the return - just create a PL with shorter delay off and attach that to the skimmer switch. Once again - do not forget the check mark for inverted function in the timer when you programming the pumps behavior

Note - i have not test this - it is only existing in my head - if you follow this path - please test the functions before you trust them.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
H

hfx987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse...
Ill give it a go on some spare sockets tomorrow after work and let you know how I go
Cheers,
Sam

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking someone was drinking American coffee before writing this. You needed the good stuff! :p

or maybe someone has had too much of the good coffee if 5 minutes goes by in 180 seconds :p

We are effective in Sweden - thanks to our strong coffee :)

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked my own thoughts - it does not work at all - back to the drawing desk.

This was the question

Can I incorporate the 5 minute delay before the feeder is activated in to the Feed Pause event - so return pump off for 15 minutes, skimmer off for 20 minutes, and food dispensed 5 minutes after the return pump and skimmer were turned off?

This is tested and should work

Set a timer (normal) to be activated for 6 minutes - I have set it active at 16:00 (4 pm) and inactive 16:06 (4:06) PM

191121 profilux.PNG

Create a new PL. I have chose PL30

191121 profilux 001.PNG

Another new PL - this is for the return pump - stop for 15 minutes (6+9 minutes) - note the inverted function

191121 profilux 002.PNG

Another PL - now for the skimmer pump - stopped for 20 minutes. (6+14 minutes) Note inverted function

191121 profilux 003.PNG

Now to the switches - the feeder. It will be activated 5 minutes after the timer starts and deactivated when it stops after 6 minutes

191121 profilux 004.PNG

The return pump. It will stop when the timer start and start again 9 minutes after the timer stops

191121 profilux 005.PNG

The skimmer. It will stop when the timer start and start again 14 minutes after it stops

191121 profilux 006.PNG

I have tested this (using shorter time frames - it works but test by your self too

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hfx987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the good coffee finally kicked in then :p

thanks a lot Lasse - i was going to jump on and say i hadnt had a chance to try it yet as i have been dragged away with work until tomorrow... but ill let you know as soon as I have tried V2.0 :)

Thanks again

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked my own thoughts - it does not work at all - back to the drawing desk.

This was the question

This is tested and should work

Set a timer (normal) to be activated for 6 minutes - I have set it active at 16:00 (4 pm) and inactive 16:06 (4:06) PM

191121 profilux.PNG

Create a new PL. I have chose PL30

191121 profilux 001.PNG

Another new PL - this is for the return pump - stop for 15 minutes (6+9 minutes) - note the inverted function

191121 profilux 002.PNG

Another PL - now for the skimmer pump - stopped for 20 minutes. (6+14 minutes) Note inverted function

191121 profilux 003.PNG

Now to the switches - the feeder. It will be activated 5 minutes after the timer starts and deactivated when it stops after 6 minutes

191121 profilux 004.PNG

The return pump. It will stop when the timer start and start again 9 minutes after the timer stops

191121 profilux 005.PNG

The skimmer. It will stop when the timer start and start again 14 minutes after it stops

191121 profilux 006.PNG

I have tested this (using shorter time frames - it works but test by your self too

Sincerely Lasse
Great stuff Lasse! I don't use a feed mode but you are giving me ideas on how I can improve some of my different maintenance timer functions. Love it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back