Feeding corals

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my reef tanks for two and three years. I have never fed my corals anything more than magnesium, calcium, and Alkaline. I have a little bit of everything. I was wondering what a good coral food is and suggestions on feeding them
I have a LPS dominant tank and I feed Gonipowder and mysis enriched shrimp. I have tried reefroids several times and it makes my tank explode with algae. My corals react to it when I feed roids but they slime like crazy afterwords. I have also used thE LPS pellets from saltwater aquarium and those seem to work best.

OP
OP
Amy406

Amy406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a LPS dominant tank and I feed Gonipowder and mysis enriched shrimp. I have tried reefroids several times and it makes my tank explode with algae. My corals react to it when I feed roids but they slime like crazy afterwords. I have also used thE LPS pellets from saltwater aquarium and those seem to work best.
Really good to know. I’m dealing with a bloom now do to moving my tank to a new house and Killing off some life on my rocks. Lots of water changes and hopefully some new purchase tangs will help. Whatever coral food wouldn’t contribute to that issue right now would definitely help lol

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok forgive my ignorance but are you not supposed to keep your phosphates down I have mine at 0
I’ve been told keeping phosphates and nitrates at zero can cause cyano/dyno outbreaks. .02-.05 ppm is the sweet spot for both, from what I hear.
It’s a balance.
I’m new to the hobby, but I’ve notice feeding a balanced diet to the tank between protein-based foods and plant-based foods is even more important than tight parameters. I think it has something to do with keeping herbivorous micro bacteria happy.

Duke2774

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use to go with Reef Roids until i realized it sent my phosphates thru the roof, for the last year i have been using Benepets
Haven’t been able to figure out why my phosphate levels keep going up never thought it could be the Reef Roids doing this going to have to test before I use them then after see if it is

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back