Such a hassle to do that though ; any other ideas

Thanks Carl

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to feed fish in "increments" - giving them time to eat the food provided before adding more.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed it two ways.

1. If I'm home, I have a small bowl I use only for fish food that I thaw it out in before dumping it into the tank.
2. If I'm on vacation and have someone watching the tank, I use one of these. All they need to do is drop the frozen food in the floating feeder and the fish eat at their leisure. It looks ugly, but I'm not home so who cares.

164.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have; how much are you feeding .... a little basic information LOL I have around 100 fish and feed 12 cube equivalents thrice per day. None (well, almost none) gets the chance to go over the weir.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the suction of the powerheads to blow frozen foods to the fish and corals. I tend to stick an unthawed cube under a powerhead and allow it to be sucked in while it melts. Some of the food goes over the overflow to feed my clowns down in the sump but most of it gets consumed by the fish or corals in the display.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my reefkeeper’s standby mode to shut the return pump and skimmer off for ten minutes. Push button, in goes the cube, away I go.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m feeling lazy I just throw a cube in the return pump chamber and let it pump into the tank from there

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Theres that gourmet frozen "auto" feeder. I thought it was a joke when I read the name but then saw a BRS video on it and it's actually pretty cool. It would solve your problems. If you kill your flow for 5 minutes the food will pretty much stay in 1 spot in the water column. You arent supposed to feed your fish more than they can eat in 30 seconds anyways so keep that in mind when you are breaking off a chunk. There is also that veggie clip magnet that has a screen which is useful for holding frozen food and limiting the chunks the fish can get. The flow can remain if using one of the 2 devices I mentioned. I prefer to hit FeedA on my Neptune and kill the flow.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda low tech. I've got my return pump, powerheads, and skimmer on a single devoted powerstrip. At feeding time, I flip one switch and all flow stops. I thaw my frozen food in tank water, pour off the excess water and distribute the food evenly in the tank. When the little pigs are done, one flip of the switch turns everything back on.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t turn anything off. But I use a big turkey baster. The fish will usually suck it right out of the tip and you can control how much you feed. They go into a frenzy and there is very little waste.

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish do you have; how much are you feeding .... a little basic information LOL I have around 100 fish and feed 12 cube equivalents thrice per day. None (well, almost none) gets the chance to go over the weir.
I have 3 ; yellow tang ; powder blue tang ; anularis angel ; all 3 are probably 3.5” each
150g tank

lebreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try thawing it out with tank water and not fresh water. What I usually do is put the frozen food in a cup with tank water with 10-15 mins and then feed on top of a flow pump that disperse them throughout the tank.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pick up used Apex Classics these days in the Buy/Sell forum for a fraction for what the new versions go.

With a push of a button, all my pumps shut off for 20 minutes. Then my circulation pumps turn on for another 20 minutes to keep the food in the water column and off the sand bed, then the return pumps come on to remove anything that is left over.

You can plug you pumps into an extension cord/power bar with and use that switch for easy access to manually turn off and off the pumps.

The skimmer can stay on since the sump pumps are off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back